Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an INTJ and I have such a hard time relating to music(lyric wise) and it kind of frustrates me.
So INTJ's, who do you listen to? Which artists are we able to fully relate to?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Music....

Here are a few that I like to hear from time to time:

Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Killers, Paramore, Coldplay, Eminem, Kid Rock, 10,000 Maniacs, Natalie Merchant, Natalie Imbruglia, Lily Allen, Jem, Dido, Drake, Katy Perry, Kylie Minogue, Marilyn Manson, Metric, K'Naan and Lights would be some of the artists that I really enjoy listening to their songs. Growing up in the '90s, some of the grunge stuff resonates with me to varying degrees.

Some recent lyrics that I enjoy:
"I'm not afraid, to take a stand..."

"Maybe we can make some wishes out of airplanes..."

"I'm just going to take a minue and let it ride..." (Ironically poetic for a those of us that hurriedly get through things, eh)

Metric is almost always awesome stuff for my mind.... check out the "Gold, Guns, Girls" video:

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I have never had a natural ability to hear lyrics. I am an aesthetical listener when it comes to music. I only hear lyrics to songs (or even look at a song's title) very last, and it may even be years later. I often have a hard time understanding or relating to the song meaning even when I finally hear the story. People have always found it strange how my interest in music works, but I hear composition and the sounds of the vocal accompaniment before anything else, and I never like a song just because of the lyrics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never had a natural ability to hear lyrics. I am an aesthetical listener when it comes to music. I only hear lyrics to songs (or even look at a song's title) very last, and it may even be years later. I often have a hard time understanding or relating to the song meaning even when I finally hear the story. People have always found it strange how my interest in music works, but I hear composition and the sounds of the vocal accompaniment before anything else, and I never like a song just because of the lyrics.
oh yeah, me too. If I dont like the voice, then I cant listen to the music, no matter how 'beautiful' the lyrics are.
but when I ment lyrics, I was thinking about sad songs and no matter how down I am, I can never mangage to feel sorry for myself. ie: death cab for cuties-- I LOVE their music/voice/lyrics, but I cant relate to that amount of self-pity

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think An Cafe's alone lyrics relates to me pretty well..
But I personally think the song is quite boring after a few listens, not the best from the band :(

·
Registered
287 Posts
Like some of you I'm not that musically inclined. I get looks ranging from confusion to disgust when I state this fact. When it comes specifically to lyrics, I'm more likely to listen if the lyrics aren't about the normal pabulum. Take 'Mack the Knife' as an example.

I have found myself listening to more music lately, but that may be because I drink more too. :wink:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I generally can't hear the lyrics of the songs as well. If I am really interested in the song, I might google it to see what it means.
I never care about what the lyrics are about or what its saying. If the music souds good then I listen to it- doesn't matter if I like the lyrics or not. If I happen to like the lyrics then its just another plus point.
Recently, I have found myself listening more and more to Linkin Park.
The lyrics of the songs aren't relatable to for me. Most of the songs sound so much unlike me. But, as I said I don't really care what the lyrics are about.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
In songs with lyrical content, I pay attention to the lyrics of 9 songs out of 10. I want to know what the artist is trying to convey and how. I am a poet, and enjoy writing, I also enjoy movies, so I understand that an artist usually wants to convey something, some meaning or message, and I want to see if I can relate to that in some way. I want to feel a connection. Something that might have nothing to do with me, I still want to understand.

Even foreign language won't stop me from wanting to understand, I will translate it to make my experience with a song that much more intimate, that much more personal.

I also listen to a good amount of non-lyrical music which makes that point moot, but still, I want to understand the point or emotion being conveyed, although I am wide open perceptually to travel down all sorts of roads to experience different interpretation, varying meanings, multiple significances.

Music is a journey for me, always has been. Music has always been my escape, my outlet, my connection between my mind and emotions, my self and others. When I can't readily communicate my thoughts or my feelings, often a song has been able to reveal them for me. It is very liberating for me just to listen to music, lyrics or not, contemplation or not, and just "be". It soothes me, puts me at a peace that nothing else can, although it can also cause me to rage. Whatever connection I need to assist me to develop my inner conversation, I will seek it and often find it in music.

Songs remind me that I am not the only one on this planet with things on my mind that I can no longer contain. Expressing them is good. Music is beautiful, in a way a bridge between souls, a common thread of humanity. It is creative, harmonious, in my mind limitless. It can have so many layers, or be very simple. Music amazes me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've found myself moving into the progressive metal/rock genre over the years. Frost, Porcupine Tree, Arjen Lucesson, Oceansize, Darwin's Radio, Haken, Karmakanic, Marillion, Vanden Plas, Ayreon, Chromakey, OSI, to name a few. These artists are as far from the mainstream as you can get and the music and lyrics are ART; the music almost always relays and emotion and the lyrics lean towards the larger issues of life, love, faith, and so on. Needless to say I am a musician myself, and I can't stand the commercialized replications that are on the radio; I only listed to Public Radio or Pandora, where I choose the music, when I do listen to the the radio. If I were to suggest one band to start with I would say Frost, Experiments in Mass Appeal. A UK artist, Jem Godfrey writes all the music, and it's a bit on the pop end of prog, but very well done and great lyrics.
"I don't care if you don't mind. Modern life's the mocking kind. But tell me how I came to be, married to my enemy."
"Of all the things you want to be; the earth beneath the industry.An ideal and an innocence. The moral ends the consequence."

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Lyrical content is essential for me to enjoy a song. Poor choice in lyrics will ruin a fantastic piece of instrumental music.

As exercising my Ni is my favourite past time I find listening to music a good medium. My preference is dark and sensual lyrics with layers upon layers of meanings. Chaotic and concision. The inner workings of a mad genius. I want music to encompass my entire being and to flow through my mind's channels.

My two favourite artists are Maynard James Keenan and Trent Reznor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9BfvPjsXXw&feature=fvst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07pLGIgyfjw

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Lady Gaga. Totally.
LOL my darling PS.

Whilst Lady Gaga's musical content is sub par, her video clips are visual candy for me. I realize she is channeling Madonna and that she is just another one of those manufactured pop sensations that will die out before we notice.

YouTube - Lady Gaga - Alejandro

Same goes for Marilyn Manson. Amazing man, lyrically not too bad. He could use a lot more subtlety and get the same message across.

YouTube - Marilyn Manson - Disposable Teens

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm in mostly for the instrumental bits. I'm into extreme metal - think Hyporcisy, Dimmu Borgir, Sentenced, Arch Enemy, that sort of stuff. You need the Internet to read the lyrics for those.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Definitely lyrics are the last what I hear.
I enjoy listening Rob Dougan, Metallica, Apocalyptica, several Iron Maiden songs (like Journeyman), Eddie Vedder, A perfect circle and other more random songs. Even classical. Therefore I could not enumerate any music style which I may adore, just songs which sound lovely to me. However I always thought that such listening of music rather relate to S type...
I noticed that for majority of women lyrics are essential and most important aspect of the song. Therefore this might indicate that how people hear music does not depend on their character?

Hello world! My first post and sorry for my mother tongue influence on my English.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts