Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for anyone with any orientation give me your experience on being with a person who was a HSP?

I'm a HSP and I'm just curious what was your experience like with one?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
If I date a girl, it's because I REALLY care for her. I like her personality, her looks, her ambitions, her laugh, pretty much EVERYTHING about her.

That being said, I've dated an HSP. I'm a very confident guy. Her HSP + My Confidence = Disaster. It was as if she wanted me to be way more sensitive than I actually was, and I had to ALWAYS watch what I was saying. She HATED that I was interested in her ambitions and wanted to make them happen for her. At first, she was excited that I was willing to help, but it got to the point that she thought I thought she was incapable and too emotional (which she actually was).

An ISFJ girl that's very highly sensitive has liked me for about 2.5 years now. How she hasn't gotten the hint that I've friendzoned her? I don't know. She recently admitted that she really liked me (I played stupid, REALLY?!? Huh. I had no idea, I thought we were just friends). To be honest, there was a time I would have probably dated her IF she was a little less sensitive, knew how to tease me/break my balls THE RIGHT WAY, and was a little more promiscuous and daring (when we're drunk, you won't get me by grabbing my hand. Put your hand down my abs or on my leg? THAT'S how you get me). From what I've experienced, HSP tend not to be very sexual or promiscuous. In conclusion, not for me.

·
Banned
25 Posts
If I date a girl, it's because I REALLY care for her. I like her personality, her looks, her ambitions, her laugh, pretty much EVERYTHING about her.

That being said, I've dated an HSP. I'm a very confident guy. Her HSP + My Confidence = Disaster. It was as if she wanted me to be way more sensitive than I actually was, and I had to ALWAYS watch what I was saying. She HATED that I was interested in her ambitions and wanted to make them happen for her. At first, she was excited that I was willing to help, but it got to the point that she thought I thought she was incapable and too emotional (which she actually was).

An ISFJ girl that's very highly sensitive has liked me for about 2.5 years now. How she hasn't gotten the hint that I've friendzoned her? I don't know. She recently admitted that she really liked me (I played stupid, REALLY?!? Huh. I had no idea, I thought we were just friends). To be honest, there was a time I would have probably dated her IF she was a little less sensitive, knew how to tease me/break my balls THE RIGHT WAY, and was a little more promiscuous and daring (when we're drunk, you won't get me by grabbing my hand. Put your hand down my abs or on my leg? THAT'S how you get me). From what I've experienced, HSP tend not to be very sexual or promiscuous. In conclusion, not for me.
i am not sure if you understand what HSP actually is
The Highly Sensitive Person Book

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Ohhhhh haha I stand corrected.

would ASMR qualify?

Reactions: Spades

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
My wife and I are both HSP. It can be difficult sometimes because of the differences in things that can set us off. Music that I love makes her feel vulnerable and scared. My needs for emotional support when I get overwhelmed can overwhelm her. But when we are both on a good roll, it's amazing.

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,253 Posts
Both of us are HSP. I'm more sensory/aesthetically sensitive and he's more emotionally sensitive, but overall it creates a deeper basis for understanding each other and helping each other develop. There is mutual respect and mindfulness, something I had to work on.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Well it depends. I'm not the best at relationship advice, and yet relationship advise about highly sensitive people, I'm an expert in. I think what bothers me is,and I'm relying on INFP, by the way I'm not suggesting every INFP is like this, just so it isn't typism,a lot of people I know in my past are INFP, I've read that INFPs are fragile and are easily hurt, but they won't tell you,you've hurt them, you just got to know. For me as an ESTP, this is just deadly, because I need experiences first hand, and if they're not giving me any hints I've hurt them, then it's like people have given me the nod to keep using my shovel to dig my grave. And for me, that's ultimately what happened. No one told me I was hurting people because I'm disabled, and an INFP doesn't hurt people's feelings, especially not a person with a disability, they're people with special needs, we've got to be nice to Brian, to his face, but then talk to other people about his behavior behind my back. I am just learning that this is just as much their weakness, as they want to avoid confrontation at all costs. So, it's like a double-edged sword, not telling me about your sensitivity hurts me, I don't want to come across as a big bully, but it also hurts them, as they are prolonging their misery by not confronting their own weakness. Sometimes our greatest enemy is ourselves.

One INFP I remember, would say they're a "delicate little snowflake" ,and she said it in a drama queen fashion. So, that's my experience with HSP.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
i'm more sensitive than my man is. There are things he's said to me that makes me feel, upset and I know its just him trying to be "funny". Other times its a bit too much for me.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I'm an HSP and I dated a non-HSP. He complained that I didn't like trying new things. I'm particularly sensitive in the mouth area so kissing had to be done just right and no french kissing allowed. He got tired of it.

I've changed a lot since then and I think I could handle it all now. Even frenching, though I doubt I'll ever come to enjoy it. But I may surprise myself.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I'm an HSP and tried dating a fairly sensitive high-functioning autistic. Not ideal. To him certain music was absolutely necessary and he could not simply wear headphones, and often these same songs made me nauseous or gave me a headache. It is difficult to explain that you can become very emotional/ill from certain things to someone who does not fundamentally understand or empathize with other humans' feelings/needs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts