Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a theory to share with you guys. Has anybody notice that time is relative for Personality types. To intuitive people time seems to go by in a flash because their thoughts are over accelerated. On the other hand time seems relatively slow for Sensors. Because they live more in the moment and have a better grasp on time and how it should be spent.

Similarly, J's are more in control of the flow the time and P's are not. So for J's time seems to move slow and in control. For P's time seems to go by in a flash. They are more flexible and would rather flow with the time than in try to control and slow it down.

Secondly, P's have problem making decisions. So every time they procrastinate they are increasing the time duration to make a decision because ultimately they need to make a decision. Hence more time is required.

Similarly following are my opinions of how time is perceived by different function.

E Time seems to move slow
I Time seems to move fast

S Time seems to move slow
N Time seems to move fast

F Time seems to move fast
T Time seems to move slow

J Time seems to move slow
P Time seems to move fast

Your thoughts about it...

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I think you posted in the wrong forum maybe? It seems more like in the general chat or general psychology more aptly.

This is very interesting. I somewhat agree to some of the things. However i feel that in the T/F segment, it would be the reverse?

Reactions: KillerEyes

·
Registered
477 Posts
Depends on what your doing i reckon and how engaged your brain is

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I love to discuss theme of individual percieving of time! It is one of my favourite themes and I was about to write thread about it (but I had not enough materials).

Well well, what can I say about this? I know that there are two things, which affect percieving of time, for sure:
- Adrenalin, that is released when the body is in danger.
- Brain activity. This is my favourite part of it.
(Note 1: It is possible, that Adrenalin enhances brain activity. I just think about it, I don't do researches about it!
Note 2: I know that there may be more of those, but I don't know what are those. If you know about more, PM me.)

There is little formula:
Higher brain activity = longer the actual time lasts
(or at least it was like this explained in Inception)

In other words - this is relative time theory of IDKWhoTheHellDidInventedThisOne (but I think it was Einstein):
How fast goes time when you are doing something you like to do? (playing, watching TV, drinking at pub etc.)
How slow goes time when you are doing something you don't like to do? (waiting at dentist, sitting at school etc.)
From this, I derived formula, that
Time goes faster when you are doing something you like to do.

It may be your relative sight, from which you say that E's, S's, T's and J's sense time slower than I's, N's, F's and P's. There is only flaw in this argument... you are not INFP (this may be due to mistype or it may not be mistype).

So. When the brain activity goes up/down? (I will represent up as + and down as -)
+ doing something you like to do
- doing something you don't like to do
+ dreaming*
- sleeping (anybody else have dreamless sleeps, which seem to you after 10 hours of sleeping as 15 - 25 minutes?)
There has to be more of them, but I can't find out now, which are in rest.

*Dreaming seems to you, just as sleeping, short. Why? Because you remember often only your last dream. You dream during REM phase, which lasts... (looks into encyclopedia) for 20 minutes in average, and occurs (looks again) 5 times at one sleep. BUT! You might now ask "Hey Darude, here is another flaw in your theory! You say these three arguments, which negate one with another:
A: The REM phase is 20 minutes long.
B: You percieve time as longer than it is while sleeping
C: The dreams are often cca. 15-20 minutes long!
How do you explain us that?" Well, I can explain it. I know you can't see it, but here in my encyclopedia, are the phases shown as the columns. The higher the column, the higher the brain activity. The wider the column, the longer it actually lasts. BUT the last REM phase, which is just before you wake up, is just half that wide (so I would say 10 minutes actually)! IDK why it is like that and I have probably no proof to show you on internetz, so you just have to believe me. Or not?

Well, now I will explain, why you did well, when you added "relativity" to name of the thread.

Let's imagine two people. Uuh... INgrid (our INFP example, I haven't found any name starting with INF) and ESTeban (our ESTJ example). And now, we will put them into four situations.
A: Ordering photos by "preciousness". (Fi process)
B: Talking about what world would look like if Adolf Hitler haven't even born. (Ne process)
C: Organizing employees. (Te process)
D: Shelving CD's by alphabet order. (Si process)
(I know that those are really dumb examples, but if you didn't understood any of them and have better idea, just think instead of yours example).

Ingrid would have to do everything listed above before 4 p.m., because she have to go visit her close friend.
Esteban have to do everything listed above before 4 p.m., because he would miss his train and have to wait next 2 hours on train station.

Let's now give them mine philosophy, to make all examples worthy. My philosophy is, that I have to do everything I don't like first, then I will do everything I like to do.

Ingrid:
First, she would try to organize employees. To give them their work, to tell them what to do. It would take off her day (oops, I didn't mentioned this! They both start theirs day at 10 a.m.) for example 2 hours, but it would seem to her like forever.
Second, she would try to shelve all the CD's in the alphabetical order into shelves. I by myself know, how boring this job actually is for NP's, so let's say she have made some... "lil' pauses" by her work. It took her another 2 hours.
Third, she would talk with one of (let's use imagination) newspaper reporters about what world would look like if there was never Hitler born. It would be quick job for her mind, so it would take off from her time 55 minutes (I know why exactly that much).
Fourth, and final, she would, finally when she have got some free time, order photos of her family on her table by how precious are they to her. This would take her maybe... 50 minutes?
Finally, she looks at her watch, and shouts "Ohmygash, I have 15 minutes to get to my friend!" and runs away from work.

The same will apply to Esteban, but you will have the activities in other order. And with train at end.

What can you see? That it (IMHO) doesn't depend on what functions you have. It depends on what you are doing. It may seem to you so long to be quiet and think, when you are in "introverted" community. (example)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@darud... wow u got a really nice explanation here... much appreciated... but there are certain clearification i need to do...

you are talking about INFP and ESTJ in your post... I am talking about individual functions not certain type.... I am not sayng that for INFP time goes fast and for ESTJ time goes slow... I am saying watever type exhibits a certain function time will go fast or slow depending on which function he or she is using...

Overall nice reply and explanation...

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
@darud... wow u got a really nice explanation here... much appreciated... but there are certain clearification i need to do...

you are talking about INFP and ESTJ in your post... I am talking about individual functions not certain type.... I am not sayng that for INFP time goes fast and for ESTJ time goes slow... I am saying watever type exhibits a certain function time will go fast or slow depending on which function he or she is using...

Overall nice reply and explanation...
Thank you!

Wait... what?
You say then, that if you have E time (for example talking with friends), it goes slower, than when you're reading a book (I time)? If it is like that, then I have nothing to add - I explained it all above. It still depends of who you are. I really percieve reading a book as slower, because it is not so entertaining (even through it may be interesting stuff, it goes always slower), and reading an article on internet... well, time spend like that goes for me alot faster.

So as I said, it depends of who you are. That fact doesn't even make me change my example, it is still example for what have you described. You just need to change the point of view, what do you view first. You need to look on example through acts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts