Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I just thought I'd get other people's opinion on this.

Yesterday I worked an all day 14 hour shift. I came home and couldn't wait to just shut off and watch tv until I went to bed.
However my partner had another idea. He kept asking me questions about how my day went and what we were going to do on the weekend. I know he was just trying to be nice.
But I was nearly mute, giving short answers, couldn't be bothered, I think it pissed him off a bit.

Do any of you just like to zone out/shut off after a hard days work?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yup.

At my old security gig, I had a few 12-14 hour day, 2-3 day weekends(stuff like Earthday Birthday, Electric Daisy Carnival, etc.) where I was constantly around thousands of people and loud music. By the time I got home each night, I was toast. If anyone asked me how my day was I'd just say, "not now, I'm too tired." I'd usually shut my phone off too, so I wouldn't get bothered by calls and texts.

I'd just go to my room, pop in a movie and chill. Sometimes I couldn't even stand to watch a movie, I'd just sit in my chair and stare at the wall for a few hours(maybe with some chill music playing).

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Zoning out is the way I recharge. Luckily I live with my dad who is ISTP, so we have our respective areas in the house to zone out. If I don't get my zone out time in front of the computer or TV, I become very annoyed. If I go to work, then out to dinner, or drinks, or a movie with people, and even if I get home at 2 am, I still need to zone out, and I will stay up to all hours of the night. That's the best time.

·
Registered
332 Posts
This happens to me after school.
I'm a musician and I come home and I write to relax. If you think it's a GOOD idea to bother me, I'll bite your head off, basically.
I like to be left alone until I decompress from my day.

Reactions: VictoriaB

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just got back from a 13 hour day and thank god nobody's home. When I get home from work I go straight to my room and even people just saying "hi" to me is so annoying. I'm just gonna try and sleep now, gotta work in the morning.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I had this one job as a laborer at a plant nursery/farm, 54hrs a week out in the sun all summer. When I finally made it home I just straight up crashed most days, usually woke back up after a few hours, had dinner, sat on my computer for a few more hours, and then went back to bed. Quite an exciting life as a working man. Now, I usually only have 8 hour days, doing carpentry, but when I come home I almost always sit on my computer alone for an hour or so doing random things. Then I cook dinner and socialize a bit before I return to my introversion to settle down before bed.

·
Banned
1,244 Posts
THIS. So much this.

Working in a busy restaurant for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week. Having people yell at me and make demands ALL DAY LONG.

I can't even think when I get home.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You just don't want any contact with other people, after a full day of being surrounded by people.
I think some people find this hard to understand.
My boyfriend prefers to talk about his stressful day, the complete opposite of me.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The same, after a long day at work (10h+) i can not interact with anyone and i am very irritable. Anyone who tries to talk to me then i can easily snap at them.

I found a solution to this actually after finding mbti. Knowing that i need time alone to recharge and recooperate then i let them know that "do not disturb me tonight / for a few hours, i need to rest after work for a bit". It worked quite well and i was lot more sociable then.

Reactions: madhatter

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep, for me I have one of two ways that I zone out. I either sit in front of the TV/computer for a few hours or I go and practice with the whip or throw knives for a while. I find people bother me less on the latter option so If I am really drained that is what I do. I think it has something to do with the possible bodily harm that people leave me alone then lol.... I also find that if I'm working a long shift or just a more stressful one that I will zone out in my own head where it almost feels like I am two different people, one is dealing with customers and the till and the other is off in its own little world. Its a weird ass feeling and creeps me out at times.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
When I worked at Wal-Mart I had the 3-11:30 shift. I got home at midnight when only my parents were up and were soon going to bed. They naturally understood the need to wind down so they'd let me stay up on the computer. It was great. Sharing 1 computer with 2 parents and 5 siblings made it difficult to get on it as much as I liked.

Nowadays it's not that easy. I'm supposed to work from 8-5, but I often "work" until 6 or 6:30 before my 10-minute walk home listening to music. By "work" I mean decompress on the computer since everyone else has gone home. I do this because I know that waiting for me is a busy ISFJ wife who may or may not be grumpy for whatever reason and most likely wants me to help her with something since she hasn't gotten time to herself all day, and a 7-year-old daughter and 3-year-old son who want my undivided attention as soon as I get home. After the kids get in bed, my wife understandably wants to spend time with me, which usually involves watching a movie, which is cool. She also doesn't like me to stay up when she goes to bed, so anything I'm working out in my head must really take place at work after work. And I feel bad about it, but at least I get overtime.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I live alone now, but in previous living arrangements I always felt so relieved when I knew I was coming home to an empty house and have always had this idea that the ideal situation would be with someone where there was a mutual understanding that we simply do not speak for the first hour or so after work.

I also don't like being spoken to in the mornings. I noticed some people like to start their days with a lot of chit-chat. I can't stand this.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
@Decoy I completely agree.

I think having different areas of a house helps too, I always go into my room when I want some space and come out into our living room and kitchen when I'm in a more sociable mood.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah. I used to do door to door sales and although I would get home and speak, I'd usually eat and go to bed, no tv, no books, rarely the laptop. Any other time, yeah, I'd zone out with my laptop, but I prefer to sleep. When I was working my student job in college, and I had roommates, I'd say hi and that's it sometimes. Hell, after an interview and moving house today I want to sleep.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I prefer being quite to recover myself. I had worked as a salesperson for a while & it was about 11 hours a day. When I came back home my family asked me about the day & tried to have a conversation with me but I was not in the mood. I tried to be nice to them however I needed my solitude. If there was something cool, I talked about that & kept it short.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts