Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a Type 1, I find it difficult to get out of the mindset of "being productive." Most often, even my leisure activities have some sort of productivity to them - making something practical, exercising, self-growth, and that sort of thing.

What sort of strategies have other type 1s found to just relax and have fun?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I mean these productive activities are fun for me, but I enjoy music and reading, movies, and occasionally catching up with friends.

What i'm into has a lot to do with my multiple intellgences-mainly being intrapersonal, musical and linguistic therefore I intensely enjoy thinking about myself, music and reading.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Putting "relax-day" on your planner and sticking to it and planning in advance what sorts of activities you want to do that day.

Reactions: Stoic

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used to drink more but nowadays I just try to find time to do things I enjoy. I actually don't think this is particularly healthy, though. I'm beginning to realize that I need to find productive projects that I'm interested in at the same time - for example, writing a book, which is something I've wanted to do for a long time but just haven't gotten around to it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The main things I do to relax are: listen to music, watch a movie I like (even if I watched it many times before), having a walk, and observing nature.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Hhhmmm.....

There are more than a few different things that work for me:

1. Play games - Whether this be video, card, board, dice or other I do enjoy playing something once in a while. It can be fun to work out strategies and stuff.

2. Enjoy some movies/TV/music/book - This can be fun on its own and doesn't require other people as much as the first one can.

3. Post stuff on-line - There are various Q & A sites, message board sites and other stuff I do on-line that I find fun for me to go and answer various stuff out there. This is where there can be games in gaining a reputation somewhere or just spilling my guts on-line as a form of therapy to purge stuff from myself.

4. Volunteer - Granted this can be considered work in some ways, it can still be fun at times to go have a BBQ for a charity or to serve some meals for the homeless, etc. This can give a new found sense of appreciation for what I have and what I can do that also helps me at times too. This can also be in support groups where I can offer advice, sympathy or suggestions to people that can help them out.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
My 9 wing makes me grows into dominance if nothing is kicking me in the ass to move. I love my One type because I end up thriving for greatness, sadly it needs a push to move.

·
Registered
389 Posts
When I was looking for advice on how to grow as a type 1, the reoccurring theme was "learn to take time to relax". So when I am at work and they say go on your break, first I protest "let me finish ______ first", then they say "go sit down" and my mind goes back to what I read, and realize that I need to take the break. Basically, I just have to remind myself we all need a rest now and then...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I must decide that from a certain time to a certain other time, I am going to force myself to "do nothing productive." Every once in a while though, even during that time, I feel a little bit of embarrassment. I don't want anyone to notice I've spent the morning watching Gossip Girl online or sleeping in till noon. That just makes it more real for me and makes me slightly angry at myself.

It is actually easy for me to relax at work, though. Sometimes I work evening hours at my receptionist job, and the office is empty, so I tend to "do nothing," but feel okay about it since I am at work and getting paid :).

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
hm relax time for me, I rlly dnt have a set time I'm always runnng to do somthing, maybe I'll have 2 hours to myself and I'm usually writing something or reading but I always push myself to read/write so much before I put it down:tongue:

·
Banned
1,956 Posts
If you saw me you would say I'm relaxing but I'm really learning something new, keeping up on my email, etc... There are tons of things that need to get done. I'm a classic workaholic.

Reactions: Inveniet

·
Heretic
ESI 9w8 5w4 2w1
10,672 Posts
Hmm this is my first tour down into the enneagram world and it's meaning.

Relaxing?

I sleep at night! :crazy:

I like playing games, but only the chance games are relaxing,
since I can't really do anything to affect the outcome.

I do Tai Chi Chuan and it is relaxing when I'm not pushing myself at some ideal... :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts