Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody religious?

I'm personally not. Just want to know about everybody else's thoughts.

Reactions: faeriegal713

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'm an athiest, I remember a similar thread and the ideologies/religions were pretty mixed!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I don't consider myself religious, but I am spiritual. I believe that there is something greater than what we can comprehend, but as a human, anything I do to describe or account for it is only placing limits upon something that I have no true comprehension of. Whatever it is, it connects us to everything that there is and every possibility and each path that could have been or would have been or still might be.

When talking with people on the street or whatnot, I claim buddhism as my religion, though my personal beliefs do differ in some respects from the form of buddhism I practice when I need/want something to ground me in the real world rather than the clouds. I've also found life long friends from practicing, so I have gained some pretty nice benefits from it as well. :wink:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me just say I was brought up as a Christian-Lutheran by my parents and by the time I finished my freshman year of college I considered myself "Agnostic" and now a senior in college I have finally got the balls to say I am now an atheist. I still cringe at the sound of me saying it and I don't know why.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
I agree with most of you on here - I'm agnostic, basically atheist when it comes to the common God everyone seems to believe. Didn't start that way though, and like others it wasn't easy to change... I live in the sort of place where if you say you are an atheist, they immediately ostracise you to death, so I keep my mouth shut, haha.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I agree with most of you on here - I'm agnostic, basically atheist when it comes to the common God everyone seems to believe. Didn't start that way though, and like others it wasn't easy to change... I live in the sort of place where if you say you are an atheist, they immediately ostracise you to death, so I keep my mouth shut, haha.
I'm an atheist from a city where religion plays almost no role, no one here would even blink an eye if you mentioned your atheism, I think you would elicit more response if you were to say christian or catholic. But I think about what it would be like to live say in the southern states and wonder how much my lack of belief would play a role in day to day life there.

I sometimes watch "The Atheist Experience TV Show", out of Austin, Texas, and find the on-air calls they receive both amusing and horrifying, the hosts are threatened quite often.

There are a lot of complaints these days that the Atheist movement has gone too far, that's it's become as bad as the very thing it's against, but I disagree somewhat. In order to get a foothold and respect in some areas , it has to be pushed into the spotlight, ignorance creates fear, when its put out there to be freely examined, some of the myths and fallacies can dissolve. On a different but possibly parallel note, the current flare ups of gay bashing and homosexual discrimination is both disgusting and depressing.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In order to get a foothold and respect in some areas , it has to be pushed into the spotlight, ignorance creates fear, when its put out there to be freely examined, some of the myths and fallacies can dissolve. On a different but possibly parallel note, the current flare ups of gay bashing and homosexual discrimination is both disgusting and depressing.
Agreed. It's okay for a man and woman of no religion to get married but a religious homosexual couple can't?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Agnostic all the way baby!

Reactions: MilkyWay132 and Lad

·
Registered
15,664 Posts
My belief is such, *something* is going on, I just haven't figured out what it quite is. To try to explain that, I'll say this- - I have had several experiences in my life that lend me to believe there is something past this world, something unseen. There is a scene @ the end of A.I. artifical intelligence and the mechas are looking down on the little boy sleeping. Watching, but they don't interfere. Yet they were the creators of the little boy......... I promise you this, I feel like that is something that relates to me & my life.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My belief is such, *something* is going on, I just haven't figured out what it quite is. To try to explain that, I'll say this- - I have had several experiences in my life that lend me to believe there is something past this world, something unseen.
What leads you to believe that? Jw.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm a Christian, but not very religious. My views are changing from conservative to more liberal. I believe God is more about love than rules. I'm reading a fascinating book right now by Jonathan Brink - Discovering the God Imagination. Very interesting perspective.

I'm positive there is something more to this universe, I have had personal experiences that validate this. But I also believe that no one has all the answers, and when we get to heaven (yes I believe in heaven) we will have one huge ah-ha moment.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I am an Eckist and have been my entire life. I believe in god, karma, reincarnation etc.

I am also a fan of many atheistic arguments, except of course for the primary one which is that a higher deity doesn't exist. lol

·
Registered
15,664 Posts
What leads you to believe that? Jw.
I have had a life full of the unusual. Occurrences that logically do not make sense yet they happened.

* I have had several conversations with dying cancer patients (due to my job) and they have described to me visitations from helpers from the other side, angels talking to them, comforting them.

* I have seen transparent, floating beings (ghosts) many times, starting when I was 5 years old at the Whalehead Hunting Club in Corolla, NC and continuing to an old farm house I lived in, in St Martins, MD.

* I had a forced opening of my third eye in a 1/2 asleep 1/2 awake state and had a conversation with a non-human entity/alien when I was in my 20's that was about 10 seconds long. The alien did most of the talking and was feeding me some kind of information, I just acknowledged and agreed. What I agreed to never carried over to anything I can remember at this point.

* I have created syncronicities within my reality that have occurred within a split second of me asking for them. What I mean is, I've manipulated my reality or this video game known as life on earth.

* I have had dreams that predicted events that occurred the next day. I can feel when the phone is going to ring. I can *feel* a lot which would take all night to list.

* I was almost hit by a car in my 20s and experienced a complete review of my life, in color with all emotions, within 1.5 seconds time. That is not logically possible, I know, but it happened, just as I was about to get hit. My Life literally Flashed Before My Eyes.

* I have talked with soooooooo many people through my life who have experienced ... how do I put this?.... miracles, the unusual, the strange. Their stories have fascinated me.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts