Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
ENFP 3w4 359 sp/sx
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have been your most mortifying, or devastating, experiences with weak Te or Si? I'm interested in hearing your experiences and perceptions.

Personally speaking, my struggle with Si has always been a gloriously epic, downhill battle. I forget or am completely oblivious to minor things all the time. For example, I would be moderately deft with mathematics, had it not been that I missed a square root in the denominator, or an unreduced fraction, or a negative sign. I once changed my work calendar to a day ahead, thinking it was Tuesday, not Monday--an INTP coworker fixed it for me. I also penned my work down on his quota sheet. He corrected it. Again. :rolleyes: Additionally, I've forgotten my purse, my library card, and where I put checks/cash. I lost my keys recently, who knows where they are, and someone had to pay $300 to replace the locks in my house.
I also forget to put perishable food away pretty consistently, because of my tendency to wander off in the middle of a meal.
Wowza.

I apologize for such a negative post! I'm simply frustrated, and wondering if anyone else has issues like this, or if it's just me.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
I've decided that all of these things are lovable traits and give my husband a chance to be my hero since his Si is his THIRD function he is SO much better than me at the following:
I misplace things constantly.
I put whole stacks of papers under my desk to sort "later." (Don't think I'm avoiding work, it's not that. I just don't want to deal with sorting right now and it's not immediate). I don't want to listen to all my voicemails.
I put off filling out applications--- I HATE applications and the fill in the blank stuff--- I'm always putting it off until last second.
The area of my brain that is the most intellectually challenged is finding directions. I drove around in circles for 1 hour once unable to pinpoint a friend's house--- this was before GPS and smartphones. Luckily GPS and smartphones make growing my Fi irrelevant.
So... I'm not sure about tertiary Te--- it doesn't seem like my Te is flawed or weak. The Te seems to work-- it doesn't overcome Fi for me-- instead it seems to be a Ne side-kick. I double check my answers and thinking.... I don't know. I'm not sure if stronger Te would make me a more impatient person or if me weaker Te is what makes me equate Te with impatience. Interesting. I do think it makes me think of the better good when playing with Ne and Fi. Interesting!

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Come on, you all. This is an excellent place for embarrassing moments, right? Don't we all want to plaster this page with all our embarrassing Si "goofs".

Anyone ever get WORSE at a task? I took a pottery class and I made a beautiful cup the very first day (my best the whole semester) with no prior experience--even though we were only learning to "center" the clay that day. And I got worse and worse at centering clay so that on the last day of class I was so frustrated that my teacher came over and centered something for me! He said, "Problem with you is you don't listen." But NO--- I listen!--- it had to be that I moved away from Ne and tried to rely on Si or something!

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I balanced a fork on the salt the other day and 10 seconds later asked, "Where's the salt???"

I spent five minutes looking for a fanny pack only to discover I was wearing it. :p

It took me five days to notice they'd demolished a tower on the hill over my house.

Sometimes I get so focused on editing, words cease to make sense to me anymore. I just stare at them and wonder if they matter or not.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I maintain routines for basic every day things. For example, keys and purse always go in the exact same place as soon as I walk in the door. I learned the hard way. However, I get tripped up by ridiculous things.

My favorite example of this sort of thing was when I received a notice in the mail about an upcoming condo meeting. I told myself I should keep the flyer (I know myself), but, I hate paper, so I read it and threw it away. The day of the meeting I rushed from work to the hotel where it was being held, walked around and around aimlessly, read all the signs for meetings, and finally asked the front desk.

No one had any idea what I was talking about. (I knew the date and time were correct--I had a system for that!) I was in a panic as I was out of time and could not figure out what happened or what to do. (I'm generally incredibly resourceful and creative, but in this moment, I could only see white and hear humming, if anyone knows what I mean when I describe that.) So, I called my husband. As an INTP, he's masterful as this sort of thing, plus, he "knows" me.

I vividly remember him asking me a series of questions. He quickly deduced that the meeting was being held at another local hotel, and that I had gone to the hotel that I was at because that's where the meeting was held the previous year. He is always right about this sort of thing, so, without hesitation, I ran a few blocks down the street, and, of course, he was correct. He was with a friend when he was walking me through this, and I was quite embarrassed by the whole thing, but, his kind response was that it happens to everyone. (Which, of course it doesn't, but that's the kind of response I get when these ridiculous things happen to me--things which would never happen to him!)

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
My ENTP and I had one seriously stressful day trying to get back to our hotel at night, going through 3 taxi drivers, a train and an hour walking all because of a combination of bad translations and bad traffic. We were both freaking out, getting impatient with one another and because it's night but it's over 30C and the humidity is so thick you can barely breathe but most importantly because we have a flight to catch in the morning where we have to be awake in 4 hours to get to the airport. Eventually we make it, have a shower, start to set our alarms for the morning. I tell my ENTP we should check in, I try, the system glitches on me, I've had enough of everything by this point so I give up quickly.

He tries and then notices the time on our tickets. "Uh, why does it say our flight leaves at 23:00?" I'm too tired for jokes so I just glare at him. "No, I'm serious." I go through all our ticket information, whilst looking at the time thinking it's already gone midnight, we don't have the money for new tickets, how could I be so stupid and not double check any of this? A feeling of dread building thanks to my own stupidity and then my ENTP pipes up "23:00 tomorrow."

"So... lie in then?" I say, already attempting to turn off my alarm (and failing because I got distracted right before I hit the button).

"Yeah... Urgh, that was stupid."

Too little Si in this relationship...

·
Registered
15,443 Posts
So my Entp bff and I decided to go out to the pier for clam chowder last week , we ended up having to stop by a goodwill to look for sweatshirts because it was freezing outside

Where is my phone? Oh wait it's in my hand ( duh!)

My Entp father and I decided to take his dogs out for a walk , it was 38 outside! So we threw on coats, scarf, he even made us coffee . We were walking for about 2 blocks when we started to realized that we left without the dogs

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
My ENTP and I had one seriously stressful day trying to get back to our hotel at night, going through 3 taxi drivers, a train and an hour walking all because of a combination of bad translations and bad traffic. We were both freaking out, getting impatient with one another and because it's night but it's over 30C and the humidity is so thick you can barely breathe but most importantly because we have a flight to catch in the morning where we have to be awake in 4 hours to get to the airport. Eventually we make it, have a shower, start to set our alarms for the morning. I tell my ENTP we should check in, I try, the system glitches on me, I've had enough of everything by this point so I give up quickly.

He tries and then notices the time on our tickets. "Uh, why does it say our flight leaves at 23:00?" I'm too tired for jokes so I just glare at him. "No, I'm serious." I go through all our ticket information, whilst looking at the time thinking it's already gone midnight, we don't have the money for new tickets, how could I be so stupid and not double check any of this? A feeling of dread building thanks to my own stupidity and then my ENTP pipes up "23:00 tomorrow."

"So... lie in then?" I say, already attempting to turn off my alarm (and failing because I got distracted right before I hit the button).

"Yeah... Urgh, that was stupid."

Too little Si in this relationship...
sooooooo much extra time for boa constrictor cuddles and blanket fights then though :3 - too yummy.

·
Registered
ENFP 3w4 359 sp/sx
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Alesha Interesting proposition. I occasionally have the same issue--getting worse at something the more I work on it--but I think the reason is because of a steady decrease in interest. It certainly wouldn't come as a surprise if Ne-dom types generally follow a similar pattern. Hmm... @Codas Well, at least you can at least give yourself credit for being half-right. @Falling Foxes Precisely, my friend. Precisely.

These are all irritating, yet innately hilarious experiences. Thank you all for sharing. I feel better now. :laughing:

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
About Te. Like I say, I don't "See any problems" with it. But I probably can't judge it correctly either because my Te is a teenager and teenagers think they know everything. What do you guys think?
The other day I saw an obvious S-person (probably ISTP) thinking that they were a N because "I like all that philosophy crap" and I saw her use it--- and it was definitely in a beginner's way-- a tertiary function way. Not flawed or weak-- that's not how I see it, but beginner.
I also have a INTJ in my life who has been developing her third function, her Fi, and she self-typed INFP because she 'loves people' and 'loves to write'. Obviously, she's only scratched the MBTI surface, but she's so very INTJ. I had her take the test years ago. And we are at the age to develop our tertiary function-- I have watched her start to enjoy feelings, which is wonderful.
So this has got to be what a ENTJ would think if I was saying I have "strong Te". A ENTJ MBTI buff would probably say something like "Whatever. Did you fire that employee yet?" or some-such example. Hope my examples aren't too far off and/or offensive. I believe in the wonderful diversity of all types-- that we each have our own amazing strengths.
Functions 1-3 all together are beautiful and the 4th one is there to prove love exists lol. Thoughts on ENFP and Te? I've heard tertiary function called the "relief function".

P.s. I keep editing this and it is because I want everyone to know how much I appreciate each type. They have strengths I do not. Just because I can "see" growing tertiary functions in people that are my strengths, it doesn't mean I don't know that they have functions that I can barely comprehend sometimes, like in the case of comparing my Te against an ENTJ's Te. <3 to everyone and to their strengths!

Reactions: Falling Foxes

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
About Te. Like I say, I don't "See any problems" with it. But I probably can't judge it correctly either because my Te is a teenager and teenagers think they know everything. What do you guys think?
Well I've only recently discovered that I have problems with Fi... So yeah, I probably can't judge my Te's strength either.

Thoughts on ENFP and Te? I've heard tertiary function called the "relief function".
Relief? I haven't heard that before. What does that mean though?

Reactions: Llyralen

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
@Falling Foxes. We all could use some relief sometimes, huh? Yeah, I'm hoping someone will pop in here that knows more. The way I'm hearing people talk about tertiary function = relief function is kind of in the way that it changes a depressing loop. I'm not quite clear on this yet... but for instance in the case of Ne and Fi working together constantly to build a world of personal meaning, Te comes in and says, "Okay, that was a lot of feels, lets look at some facts and also the floor is a mess... get a move on..." It helps us get things done. I've heard that Ni and Te together can sometimes be too strict and some Fi comes in -- in the case of INTJs for some needed loosening. Something like that, maybe. Oh I hope someone jumps in.
<3 to you FF.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
@Falling Foxes. We all could use some relief sometimes, huh? Yeah, I'm hoping someone will pop in here that knows more. The way I'm hearing people talk about tertiary function = relief function is kind of in the way that it changes a depressing loop. I'm not quite clear on this yet... but for instance in the case of Ne and Fi working together constantly to build a world of personal meaning, Te comes in and says, "Okay, that was a lot of feels, lets look at some facts and also the floor is a mess... get a move on..." It helps us get things done. I've heard that Ni and Te together can sometimes be too strict and some Fi comes in -- in the case of INTJs for some needed loosening. Something like that, maybe. Oh I hope someone jumps in.
<3 to you FF.
Well, I can understand Te being the function to pull you out of the passivity depression pushes you in to but it can also push an ENFP too far and away from their emotions. Ne - Te loops exist where it's all about doing and leaping from one thing to the next thing that catches Ne's attention.

Reactions: Llyralen

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
@Falling Foxes That is kind of what I was thinking while I was writing this--- why I don't quite understand it. Fi and Si loops, Ni and Ti loops. Yeah... I hope someone can help explain. Otherwise, when I see "Relief function" written I'll remember and get back to you. =)

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
@Falling Foxes That is kind of what I was thinking while I was writing this--- why I don't quite understand it. Fi and Si loops, Ni and Ti loops. Yeah... I hope someone can help explain. Otherwise, when I see "Relief function" written I'll remember and get back to you. =)
The introvert loops are basically about taking a subjective perception, and evaluating it in a subjective way. People start looping in their own head until they crash somehow. Ni-Ti loop can make someone paranoid, convinced that some bad future will happen, based on subjective logic. The lack of taking in information from the outside, means Ni becomes completely unrealistic. Similarly Si can cause people to relive their subjective experiences, paired with Fe there is an outlet for the feelings associated with it to be shared, and the person will be reassured the experience wasn't that bad. Without that external moderation, the person may start to experience the worst feelings they have ever experienced in similar situations, and repeat that in their head over and over again.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
My mom says I don't live in her same house. She often makes changes. I never notice. She thinks I don't care about the efforts she makes to decorate the house, but it would be fun to notice. It's invisible though.
Also this is the most embarassing thing that happened to me because of my Si: So... I've a friend I knew for a long time. We usually met to play games.
Once a girl friend of mine asks me if I knew someone she could meet. I describe her this guy. I say: He's a cute boy, really. He has blue eyes and blonde hair, you would like him!

... So when she meets him... she tells me... "But he has black hair... you told me you knew him! How could you forget something like that?!" And I suddendly looked at him and said ..."Uh you know what? YOu're right... I never noticed before!!" ahahah

I don't know how this happened. Also this guy asked me out so I SHOULD'VE NOTICED HIM. But.. nope.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts