Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tend to be very good at remembering pretty much everyone I've met. I've always known everyone's name in my classes even if I never spoke to them. Even if I happen to forget your name, I will still remember your face or where I know you from and what we talked about. Do other NFs relate to this at all? I once had this guy (pretty sure he was an sensor) I went out with who made some strange comments like I would not remember him and I could not understand why he would think that. I do expect people to remember me though and if they don't I get upset. So anyway I was just curious if this was an NF thing because we value people so much, or a perceiving thing because I might need that info one day so I'll keep it, or an INFP thing, or maybe it's just me cause I'm weird :tongue:?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I don't think I am too good at remembering people. I am very good for meeting someone and not even noticing them the next week. I'm really bad at remembering names too. I just don't pay much attention I guess. Sometimes I can remember someone I haven't seen in years and just think that maybe my mind is messing with me and I'm just imagining I've seen that face before, but it's pretty rare.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
I went to school with this girl, and I didn't know her well enough to even guess her type, although NF would surprise me least of all. Anyway, not only did she remember names and faces just like you said, but she also remembered birth dates. It was the craziest thing. Just about anyone in our class of 500 could go up to her randomly and ask her if she knew their d.o.b. and she would...

I think I'm pretty good with remembering faces.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I remember names better than faces...or if I met a group of people I remember their faces and their names but forget whcih name goes to which face. :tongue:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I work at an auto repair shop, so I've got countless new and returning customers coming thru my door or calling me daily. Some people I won't hear from for a year but I'll easily recognize their voice over the phone and can remember their name, what kind of car they drive, what kind of problems the car had, etc. Sometimes it surprises the hell of myself when I can remember these things..

It seems I remember experiences fairly well..or at least bits and pieces of them. I can remember some details of an experience...but not the whole sequence of the experience.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I tend to agree with most of the responses.

Names? Not so much. Faces? Absolutely. However, being an ENFP I realize that I interact with a multitude of new people every single day. It usually takes some sort of detail that separates a person from the crowd for me to remember their name the first time. Little details about people are easier for me to remember than their name for some reason.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I don't remember names or faces. I remember "files" in my brain. Each file is a different persona and role. I feel like I've only had about 10 different "files" in my head that represent everyone on this earth. This has nothing to do with MBTI, mind you because I did this before I had ever heard of MBTI. And it's not something I'm purposely trying to do.

No matter what new community I'm in, or who I meet, people keep falling into one of these 10 files. That's why it's hard for me to remember names. I won't know their name, but I know their "file". I know what they are, how they make me feel, what they represent, their function within the group, and their relation to me.

For instance, let's say I meet a person named "Jon". But Jon acts so much like another friend "Peter" . And my relationship to Jon is exactly like my relationship to Peter. I sniff it out quickly. They will have the same role in my life. In fact I will confuse their names often.

It's weird. But this involuntary filing system also allows me to know a lot about a person immediately. Especially because I lived in so many different towns and places, and have had so many students that I may have met 100 "Peters" in my life. And in my experience, they have been exactly the same. Only problem is, while I am filing them I am not focusing on the smaller stuff like listening when they tell me their name. :unsure: But what I do know about them is a little bit deeper. :wink:

·
Registered
ENFP
4,206 Posts
I'm pretty good at remembering people.. a few times I've ran into people from about 16 years ago? Mind you, where I live is pretty populated, and then I'll go, "didn't you used to attend here at so and so? Didn't you used to hang out with blah blah blah?"

Yeah- it's crazy. Memory of an elephant. It's the unconscious brewing up memories or somethin'!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm incredibly good at remembering people. I think it's to do with the fact that as an introvert, my interactions with people are quite minimal, so each interaction is significant to me, especially if it were with someone I really admire. I have conversations, particular words, people's expressions and lots of other tiny details stored in my memory...:crazy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts