Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago, I visited a psychologist for anxiety and she told me that I was repressing my hatred. At that time I totally did not think I could care enough about anything to hate it. Today, I realized what it was that had been bothering me this whole time and let out a vile, hateful, and totally intolerant rant on a thread about the topic right here on the INTP forums. It felt good to hate, to let go of the forced politeness and rationality and just allow the righteous anger from the deepest, darkest parts of my soul to find expression. It was cathartic.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Is there something you hate that you hold back because it is improper to express this feeling in a logical or socially acceptable manner?

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I don't like to be hateful, but now that I think about it, I do feel like there are a lot of repressed feelings of indignation deep down that need to surface. Not sure if that's an anxiety thing or an INTP thing though.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I tend to see dichotomies as a whole rather than as a division between two separate entities. Hate is the easy half, it's actually more rational than love...the ability to freely express both is key to holding the moderate middle ground of the axis, contentedness. If you're going to insist on apathy, may as well let it fall on politesse.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Not really. I don't enjoy how it feels (ranting, lashing out or similar) -it's not really about others. I don't think there's anything I really 'hate'. Some things bother or upset me but I've found ways to express those moods/emotions/feelings without feeling like I went apeshit and maybe regret it later.

·
Registered
963 Posts
yep!
it has happened.
And yes, I'm not aware of my hatred usually.
And when it happens that it comes out... well it is a hell for people around me.
It has happened 4-5 times in my life and, oh, well... people have been scared for a while.

·
Banned
7,396 Posts
I am increasingly having less of that issue as I age, because I'm expressing myself much more nowadays, though unfortunately my rising standards/discernment also bring more socially-acceptable facets to dislike.

See, "hatred" is not healthy... it's a toxic state of mind/being that slowly kills you, physically and mentally. But... hatred itself is not the problem; it's only a problematic expression/manifestation of your personal strong feelings on a certain topic. I no longer believe in all-encompassing tolerance for all manner of vile and degenerating (which I define as anti-life, anti-quality of life, exploitative, or otherwise destructive) aspects of life and society. I know my antipathy towards these things, while sometimes misguided, is ultimately seeking to uphold certain ideals and principles, which are loosely based on egalitarian relations and maximizing quality of life for the largest number of people possible. And I refuse to sacrifice this aspect of myself, which would be an inevitable result of preaching extreme tolerance and eradication of personal judgment/discernment. It's somewhat ironic because I used to feel the opposite way, and still somewhat dislike the strict categorization/labeling, but I find it one of my last remaining defenses against the constant onslaught of manipulative, exploitative, and downright stupid conditioning.

As to that post you were referring to, I found it very inspirational and admirable, and wish more people had the internal strength and willpower to consider the wider implications of such socially-endorsed attitudes.

5,146 Posts
About a year ago, I visited a psychologist for anxiety and she told me that I was repressing my hatred. At that time I totally did not think I could care enough about anything to hate it. Today, I realized what it was that had been bothering me this whole time and let out a vile, hateful, and totally intolerant rant on a thread about the topic right here on the INTP forums. It felt good to hate, to let go of the forced politeness and rationality and just allow the righteous anger from the deepest, darkest parts of my soul to find expression. It was cathartic.
"Hatred is the Emperor's greatest gift to humanity." (Warhammer 40,000 3rd Edition Rulebook, page 117)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Your psychologist sounds like she would be better off working at Starbucks.

How about this: Take ownership of who you are, what you like, and what you don't. Master yourself.

Hate is a strong word. If you honestly hate something, I'd say there's probably a legit reason.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think that's our tiny little repressed Fi finally speaking up for itself

(while simultaneously fucking up our self contained demeanor).

Yes, I do feel strong hate sometimes. A lot of the time, actually. But if I were to actually let it out it would be completely unfiltered and it would destroy everyone while blinding me in the process.

This is why we need ESTP's. They push us to express our hatred through (usually) physical and more productive pursuits.

Lol.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Maybe, idk. Sometimes I feel so tolerant it's to the point it's debilitating.

Although I'm more interested in what the thread was that set you off :laughing: please tell please

1 - 13 of 13 Posts