Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved 3,000 miles by myself (no friends/family) to earn a PhD at a state university - by which I need to first secure employment there. That being said, I've applied to 47 jobs and still haven't succeeded.

My work history is good and I have earned two degrees in communication, but the job market here is so competitive I'm very discouraged. I just sit and watch Hulu all day, surfing gossip blogs. I'm afraid to go in the local area as the crime is rampant (a student was slain two weeks ago a block away) and work out....

I'm broke, unemployed, and I moved here to help people and be a part of the academic arena, but I can't get my foot in the door, and I can't give up.

Please advise, thank you. Also I found another term for the patented INFJ door slam, it's called mute withdrawal by Dr. Keirsey.

If you're interested, I'm an Enneagram four and I was divorced from an ESTJ after 13 years this spring.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'm wondering why you don't start applying to *any* university jobs *anywhere* and then try to get a phd at schools where you secure a job?

are you really attached to getting a phd at that particular school?

ps, i work at a college and im getting my graduate degree here for free - so i understand your motivations.

·
Banned
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have applied to all the local community colleges, but they are hiring for Spring 2011, and I need the funds now.

As far as where I moved - logistically, it was either stay where I was and not have a opportunity to earn a PhD, or move and do so.

Having worked jobs I hated so I could earn a salary, transitioning into academia is my most cherished hope, and where I fit like a dream.

Reactions: SarahWilliams

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Have you made follow up calls/letters to the jobs you have applied for to find out why you were unsuccessful? They might be able to give you some advice.

·
Banned
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Specific`

Yes, I did go to the HR office for help. Basically, it boils down to 200 applicants or more for each opening- so they can be as specific as they like and have the perfect match.

I am not a perfect match for any job, but I have heart, smarts, and creativity. It seems to me that people sometimes just slap those words/qualities on their resumes and don't really possess those skills.

So when I found the INFJ site, I thought I'd query the others out there like me on how to set myself apart in such a way as to knock their socks off.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Totally understand what you are going through......
My personal experience. Moved from Virginia to Los Angeles Calif. It has been six months since I have been out of work. Went from the type of work that I have been involved in to looking for anything. Odd jobs to anything available. Nothing seemed to pan out. It had been a roller coaster ride for anyone out of work. Especially to the point of losing you self worth.

There were times when you just don't wish to get out of yourself. I had applied to restaurants, waiters, coffee shop, janitorial, dishwashing, labor, driver, forklift driver, limo driver, cold calling, but nothing. And I found out that this is quite normal in California job economy. There are a lot of individuals that just can not get a job. There are people with masters degree that are not able to get the type of career that they wish for right now. Some cannot get a job in what I have been applying for. All positions are filled or they are looking for a certain type. Maybe over qualified.

Anyway.... Please do not give up. I am just letting you know that what you are going through is quite normal and you are not the only one. Do not be discouraged and keep continuing what you are doing. This is a learining experience for me and realise that I am not alone. Just as long as you are trying to find work. INFJ's need to find work and get themselves involved in something. Humble yourself and find anything until something better comes along.

It took about six months and I found out that this is typical and can go longer than that just looking for anything. One out of ten California's are out of work.

I've finally got what I've been looking for and I am grateful.

I know that this doesn't help but I am writing to you to let you know that I understand, and what you are going through. Wish you to keep moving and have the strength and willingness to not give up.

Sincerely,
Johnny

·
Banned
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solidarity

Wow- your post really hit me- thank you for the support and the insight. I want to be in academia so bad and I'm a block away from the school, it's really torture.

And yes, I've applied for all other jobs just to get by, but they haven't panned out either. :sad:

No other options but to keep going and see what happens, I guess.

Reactions: jamescarrolls

·
Registered
345 Posts
Wow- your post really hit me- thank you for the support and the insight. I want to be in academia so bad and I'm a block away from the school, it's really torture.

And yes, I've applied for all other jobs just to get by, but they haven't panned out either. :sad:

No other options but to keep going and see what happens, I guess.

Your new here.... Okay. And just to let you know, you'll find out for yourself that you well have the opportunity to find some real nice INFJ's here that care and understand. Take the time to explore..... You'll meet some fantastic people along your journey. You show your support to one another and you'll find out that you will get that in return. I'm starting to see that INFJ's really understand other INFJ's if that makes sense. So, I say to you, care for another human being and you will get that from us. Once agan, take your time getting to know us as you see how we interact. There are wonderful caring individuals in these forums. Not just INFJ's.

Sincerely,
Johnny

·
Banned
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Understanding

Hi Johnny,

Thank you for replying. I don't mean or have anything against others, I'm just tired of adapting/taking on their....items? I don't know a better term for it.

My ex was ESTJ, and sucked me dry. I'm basically a husk right now, and I want to learn how to balance my personality with others so that I don't give more than I can...

And so I seek others like me. Sometimes it gives me chills to see what I've experienced echoed by others - for example, I ALWAYS have strangers tell me their deepest secrets, and I don't know how to get them to stop, not because I don't care but because I do, too much.

Anyways, blathering on, I understand your message and definitely will look to others in the future, but for now, I seek solace among others like me. I hope you can understand.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think honestly you will LOVE academia. It's a nice environment. Very stable and relaxed.

so I hate to say it - but universities will typically higher in-house (that's what ours does). so even with positions you are qualified for, they might be looking over you for someone else they already know.

this is obviously a temporary solution - but have you thought about temping, or getting a part-time job at the school you want to work at? I have know *so* many people who then get a full-time job shortly after that. Foot-in-the-door sort of thing.

and remember: Never, Ever, Ever Give Up.

·
Banned
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FT versus PT

Honestly, at this point, I'll take anything. :laughing:

FINGERS CROSSED, I just received this email:

We have received your application materials and at this time our search committee is evaluating all applicants.

We will be contacting applicants to schedule initial interviews over the next few days. We will continue to keep you informed as the search process continues.

PLEASE, UNIVERSE!!! It's all I want for Christmas

XOXOXO
II

1 - 11 of 11 Posts