Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discuss.

Possible points to respond to:

How do you deal with requests for constructive criticism?
What styles of criticism do you provide? (E.g. Oral*, written, particular subject matter.)
Are you gentle?
Do you ensure that you provide fluff feedback as well as constructive criticism?
What results from your criticism (do you notice any pattern)?

NB: By posting on this thread, you open yourself up to being criticized.

*No @theorycraft & @NT the DC

·
Maid of Time
14,749 Posts
Online, if someone asks for constructive criticism, I typically give level-headed, fair, non-abrasive advice. It's usually all the broad conceptual analysis of their situation, some points made to make sure that I understand things correctly or to ask clarifying questions, etc.

On occasion, I have given someone the smackdown, but I only do that if their initial post request has a lot of hubris in it or if they're getting all defensive or snippy with people who are providing the kind of advice that is requested, or if I am piecing together that they are misrepresenting themselves, bad-mouthing someone else, and/or lying about the situation they're asking for help with.

I typically refrain from advice if someone isn't asking for it.

IRL, I typically just give even-keel advice and play sounding board. I don't start giving a ton of advice unless they ask, and I usually just ask them questions to help them arrive at their own answers or I might share some things about my life that were parallel and that they might find helpful.

As far as answers go, that sucks.
Yeah, I was gonna say I'm gentle, but I wanted to bop him with a telephone poll for that.
But I know he is tough enough to take it and like it. ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, if I'm given criticism, it depends on how the criticism is given. If they have a condescending tone then I'd feel insulted, but I would try to hide that fact(you might be able to tell by my eyes but I've never really seen myself in these situations). That doesn't mean I wouldn't value their criticism, I would just be really annoyed. But if they're impersonal about it, I'm usually more receptive and I'm happy to have received that criticism. Although, if I know I screwed up somewhere, I couldn't do anything about, and I get criticized for that mistake, I'm extremely annoyed.

Usually I only give constructive criticism when it's asked for.

I usually like to give constructive criticism face to face. I want to be able to explain myself and answer more questions if need be. It's just easier for me.
As for giving the criticism, I try to be aware of my eye expressions because I tend to have the "INTJ furrowed brow". Some people may think I'm mad when I'm really not so I try to relax my eyebrows when I give criticism.

It depends on the person. Usually they just nod. My experience with other NTs is that it leads to a good discussion. Although sometimes people get mad and shout.

·
Registered
297 Posts
~I think it is weird. If I wanted to share anything I would, otherwise I am either trying to restrain myself from not walking away (attempting to be polite) or it was incredibly average. I don't really know how to give criticism for either of those things (which is why I don't). I guess, succinctly, it is weird because I would say anything if it occurred to me and wasn't mean.

What styles of criticism do you provide? (E.g. Oral*, written, particular subject matter.)
~Any style requested. Usually I just say it.

Are you gentle?
~Yes, I am actually really bad at sugar-coating things. If people ask me for criticism, I start out (the first word or so) is what I actually thought, and then if it wasn't a positive thing I was about to say, I scramble to redeem my statement.

Do you ensure that you provide fluff feedback as well as constructive criticism?
~I despise fluff feedback. With a passion.

~People asking for my criticism are few and far between, but I almost exclusively tell the people what they are doing wrong and not what they are doing right (unless I feel like I was too mean to them). If that counts as a pattern?

Oh, and I should say this is all if I was in person! If it was on the internet I do not usually find the need to sugar-coat things and I almost exclusively give really objective remarks.

Reactions: Ista

·
Registered
915 Posts
If the people can handle it and actually use it in improving whatever needs criticism I am up for it. If it would be some stubborn jackass I would probably refuse, because it would lead to pointless arguing. If I am asked for it I am usually honest, to the point, not paying many attention to not hurting somebody's feelings... (Well some people have problems with that and next time I am more gentle...)

Mostly oral :tongue:

Are you gentle?
As in first question, usually not, because if it was gentle it wouldn't sound that criticizing and the people wouldn't be that serious to fix the problems.

It is important to cheer the people up a bit and point out the good things too... But I dont do it in a fluff way as I am trying to be objective and to the subject.

For some reason people try to follow it and consider it to be accurate and objective (since I can usually predict what the specific teacher will point out or not), I am helping them fixing the issues as well, improving structure, adding important points.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts