Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. So I've been on this long journey of deciphering my personality type for a few months now... and I'm still feeling pretty uncomfortable with any hat I try on. After much thought and internal debate, I decided that I am an INFJ. Although it's hard for me to give definitive assertions, I will do my best, but remember to take everything with a grain of salt...

Ni is my dominant function. It has always been quite obvious to others, and it has slowly becoming more and more apparent to me. This trait obviously points in the [general] INFJ direction. But recently, I've been thinking about my Feeling function. It has always been a point of concern for me in trying to decide what my type is. It seems that with almost every "personality test" I take, I end up as a thinker. But the truth is, I just don't relate to a) the descriptions of thinkers b) the thinkers I do know (in comparison to how I can relate to feelers). While I do like to base my decisions upon rationale (and I often give other people very objective advice), I don't know if I always do make my personal decisions logically. It is difficult for me to keep my emotions in check (and I know that it's not accurate to equate "emotional" with "feeler", but I feel like Thinkers typically don't have this problem), but at the same time it is quite difficult for me to actually understand how I feel about certain people, situations, theories, etc. Additionally, while I do often think about how others are feeling or thinking (maybe an expression of Ni rather than Fe?), I've noticed recently that in my conversations with friends, it has been hard for me to sympathize because I am so wrapped up in trying to give them rational advice (what I deem to be wise I guess).

Do any other INFJs ever have these concerns? Thoughts on type? Thanks :)

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Nothing that you have described sounds like it would be out of line for an INFJ to do.
It just sounds like you are noticing that you are using your tertiary function, Ti. Whenever INFJs use Ti we feel kind of cold and logical and calculating. Ti however is introverted subjective logic that is not aligned with any outside standard. In this way it can feel like it is less practical type of reasoning than Te. Urge to advise INFJs experience often - hence why they call us the advisors, the counselors on some websites. Difficulty sympathizing is more function of Fe as Fe is a better tool for empathy rather than sympathy. Fi is better at feeling and expressing sympathy but it is not one of four dominant functions of INFJs. Fe is more like understanding why people do, say, and feel certain things but not necessarily feeling for them or feeling with them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I often hear of INFJs talking about how they are hypersensitive towards and easily influenced other people's feelings so I guess that is why I thought differently.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts