Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled upon this article a while back, and thought this might clear up some misconceptions about introversion. Some parts were so accurate I was all like "what is this, I don't even- "

Revenge of the Introvert

Hope you like it!!:proud:

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
I enjoyed this article very much. Thankyou for posting :happy:

Reactions: Toska
4,757 Posts
Funny - I didn't really relate to everything in the article. My Ne feeds off external stimuli - people or objects or whatever. That makes it so talking with someone provides intellectual stimulation and triggers new thought processes.

I like talking to people (if they're close friends) - I like engaging and creating new ideas that way. The article stated that introverts don't like brainstorming - my Ne naturally does that.

Honestly, if I wasn't very, very sure that I'm an introvert, this would make me doubt my introverted-ness. Just because I'm loud and talkative in the right environment, doesn't mean that I'm not an introvert.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Honestly, if I wasn't very, very sure that I'm an introvert, this would make me doubt my introverted-ness. Just because I'm loud and talkative in the right environment, doesn't mean that I'm not an introvert.
Do you like noisy parties or not?
Do you enjoy fast-paced brainstorming group sessions?
Do you like being happy as most people are happy?
How do you watch a movie?

From those questions, I could figure out whether you're an introvert or not.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Which type of movies do you watch?

1. no
2. no
3. yes
4. fight club, training day, catch me if you can, the departed.. that sort of thing

·
Registered
447 Posts
Which movies are for E's and which for I's?
Good question, I should have reconsider that.
Movie types are used to determine T/F, N/S.

But, what if we put this into experiment? Which movie types does an extrovert enjoy?

I think watching a movie is an introverted activity. As you need to pay attention to what is being displayed on the movie. An extrovert need to dedicate time for that from their usual inclination to socialize.

So to revise the question, how do you watch a movie?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sorry, that was a bog ordinary article IMO - I'm not a fan of "introverts are like this, extroverts are like this" approach, "introverts should be treated like they are special, precious little so and so's".

There are different types of introverts, Ni dominant, Si dominant, Fi dominant, Ti dominant that will all have completely different sensitivities to the outside world that aren't comparable to one another - i.e. INFP wouldn't relate to the sort of stuff an INTJ finds draining and vice versa.

I know plenty of introverts that are extremely good articulators, very comfortable and skilled in social settings and scenarios and most would mistake as extroverts and they may even test as extroverts on the MBTI test.

Basically an introvert's cognitive hierarchy favours a subjective approach before objective approach, as it yields more energy - that is the only constant between all introverts - all those other symptoms mentioned varies a fair bit.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Ugh. I paid money for that magazine in the drug store, and you can get it free on the Internet???

Life's not fair...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Good question, I should have reconsider that.
Movie types are used to determine T/F, N/S.

But, what if we put this into experiment? Which movie types does an extrovert enjoy?

I think watching a movie is an introverted activity. As you need to pay attention to what is being displayed on the movie. An extrovert need to dedicate time for that from their usual inclination to socialize.

So to revise the question, how do you watch a movie?
ill thank you for a poll thread

·
Registered
447 Posts
I know plenty of introverts that are extremely good articulators, very comfortable and skilled in social settings and scenarios and most would mistake as extroverts and they may even test as extroverts on the MBTI test.
I think those skills do not define introversion.
There should be other way to know whether they're introverted or not.

I'm curious, how do you find out that they are introverts?

Basically an introvert's cognitive hierarchy favours a subjective approach before objective approach, as it yields more energy - that is the only constant between all introverts - all those other symptoms mentioned varies a fair bit.
I thought this is more about T or F, with the slight of influence from P or J?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think those skills do not define introversion.
There should be other way to know whether they're introverted or not.

I'm curious, how do you find out that they are introverts?

I thought this is more about T or F, with the slight of influence from P or J?
Introverted cognitive function is dominant in the psyche and is the person's sense of identity and source of energy.

Everyone has 2 conscious introverted and extroverted functions each (4 consciously used cognitive functions altogether)

What I mentioned in the post is the basic core principle behind I/E differentiation (subjectivity vs objectivity)

T = logic based (can be subjective Ti = personal sense of logic, or objective Te = objective logic of the system)

F = values based (can be subjective Fi - personal values of the use, or objective Fe - objective values of the tribe)

P = adaptive and reactive

J = directive and proactive

·
Registered
447 Posts
F = values based (can be subjective Fi - personal values of the use, or objective Fe - objective values of the tribe)
Wouldn't this cause a conflict in most social situations?

I think that you can be both introverted and extroverted. But, the definition of introvert in itself, is always about the preference of personal values over the tribe values.

If they're harmonious (which is not often), then an introvert will enjoy the company of those who agreed with them. While, if they're in conflict, an introvert will withdraw.

4,757 Posts
How do you watch a movie?

1. if I'm with 4 or 5 people and we're talking loudly. Otherwise, nope
2. yup. Like I said, I like brainstorming because I naturally bounce ideas around like that

Ok, this bugged me. The article implied that introverts don't value happiness. Honestly, that's total bs. I may be very self-critical, but I don't do so to make myself unhappy. I don't see the connection.

And what does that mean, not being happy like everyone else? Is there really a 'normal' way of being happy?

How am I happy? Being by myself, being with my friends (in moderation), a sunny day, cats, an interesting idea, a good story, delicious food, something aesthetically pleasing, good music. Does that really tell you that I'm an introvert? (obv except for the being by myself).

Someone please explain what the article meant by that.

·
Registered
447 Posts
1. if I'm with 4 or 5 people and we're talking loudly. Otherwise, nope
2. yup. Like I said, I like brainstorming because I naturally bounce ideas around like that
3. Ok, this bugged me. The article implied that introverts don't value happiness. Honestly, that's total bs. I may be very self-critical, but I don't do so to make myself unhappy. I don't see the connection.

And what does that mean, not being happy like everyone else? Is there really a 'normal' way of being happy?

How am I happy? Being by myself, being with my friends (in moderation), a sunny day, cats, an interesting idea, a good story, delicious food, something aesthetically pleasing, good music. Does that really tell you that I'm an introvert? (obv except for the being by myself).

Someone please explain what the article meant by that.
The article could be flawed, but based on your answers:

Why are you persisting that you are always an introvert in any given situation?
Why can't you see yourself as an extrovert?

You said it yourself "Is there a normal way of being happy?"

An extrovert will try to be happy if others are happy. That may not be the case with an introvert. It depends on whether others' happiness conflicted with an introvert sense of happiness.

So, what is being introverted mean to you?

I could say I'm an INTP, but I'm not always an INTP in any given situation.

4,757 Posts
The article could be flawed, but based on your answers:

Why are you persisting that you are always an introvert in any given situation?
Why can't you see yourself as an extrovert?

You said it yourself "Is there a normal way of being happy?"

An extrovert will try to be happy if others are happy. That may not be the case with an introvert. It depends on whether others' happiness conflicted with an introvert sense of happiness.

So, what is being introverted mean to you?

I could say I'm an INTP, but I'm not always an INTP in any given situation.

I'm not sure that you understand the fundamental difference ebtween introverts and extroverts. Introverts gain energy from being alone and extroverts gain energy from being with other people. That's all it comes down to. It has nothing to do with happiness.

Furthermore - if you're an INTP, you're an INTP no matter what situation you're in. It's your cognitive functions that determine your type.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm not sure that you understand the fundamental difference ebtween introverts and extroverts. Introverts gain energy from being alone and extroverts gain energy from being with other people. That's all it comes down to. It has nothing to do with happiness.

Furthermore - if you're an INTP, you're an INTP no matter what situation you're in. It's your cognitive functions that determine your type.
I understand that.

What I don't understand is do you prefer being in a group discussion over one-on-one or self study?
Do you gain energy more by being in a group against discussing one-on-one, or thinking alone?

I said happiness in conjunction with others' happiness.

If your friends are happy with something that you don't care about, you won't feel happy as an introvert. An extrovert will at least accommodate your friends by showing that you're happy too. Although it may need an F, to actually feel the happiness of others (not just showing it).

I also read a discussion about this on other thread. There's actually a possibility for someone like me to use for example "S" or "J" in other situations.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts