Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all. It's been bugging me for a little bit, so I thought I'd see what the analysts down here would have to say about a questionnaire. Perhaps there's a perspective I've missed? Let the testing... begin!

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

Ne vs. Se. I relate to being Si inferior more than I do being Ni inferior, but I also relate quite a bit to the whole "perceiving things in the moment" description that's usually given to Se. Not to say that I don't relate to Ne, of course, but I've come to the conclusion that I'm either an Ne-user who has confused the common traits between both, or I'm an Se-user who has done the same.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

Exciting adventure, to be at the forefront of a revolutionary idea or movement, to experience all that the world has to offer, and to transcend the human condition. On a smaller scale, I don't know; I live in a constant state of yearning, without often knowing what for.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

It's very difficult to remember a specific time when I felt I was at my finest (I've got memories, but they tend to be disconnected from any feelings). Whenever I do get that feeling, though, it starts at the beginning of the day. I wake up feeling invincible, unstoppable, like the world is one great big chicken just waiting to get plucked (bonus points if you recognize the original line :wink:). I start making plans, juggling about ten things at once, working hard, but forging my own path forward. That's when I feel at my finest; when I'm directing the course of my life on my own terms.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

Getting beaten at something that I enjoy a lot, and pride myself on being very good at. When this happens, I tend to keep improving until I surpass everyone around me. Then, I stop caring and move on to something else.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

Curiosity. I tend to run with goals and ideas as they come; my thought process is rarely ever "should I or shouldn't I do X", and more like "how can I make doing X get me Y?" Or, if I have another goal in mind, I'll weigh the two together, and combine Goal 1 with Goal 2 in a fusion made entirely on the fly. Basically, whatever my goal is changes with the information I get.

When I'm thinking things through, I tend to weigh out how well it will result in my goals being accomplished. What carries the most weight is smart vs. stupid; I don't do things if I've deemed them to carry no benefit with them.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

First and foremost, I want things done properly. They must be done as efficiently as possible. I like to brainstorm ideas, have everyone else do the same, and then pool them together and recombine them into something much better. Then, I want everyone to set about with their task and get it done, so that we can put everything together. I do want control of the outcome; if I've visualized the best course of action to take, I want to make sure that this is exactly what is going to happen. I don't like to micromanage, but I'll do it if people are screwing things up.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

The times when I've had the most fun are when I've gotten some information, come up with an idea, re-organized my goals, and started improvising toward it. Going with the flow, but engineering the situation so that it ends up being exactly what I want it to be. I don't have a strong memory of it; I just remember doing this time and time again.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

I'll want to read up on the basics first, then go hands on with it. Once I try something out for myself, I tend to make my own theories as to how it should be done (and normally, I'm right). So, I guess you could say that I theorize on the fly: I like to know the underlying principles of how it works first, though.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

LAWL... I have short bursts of hyper-organization, but organization isn't something I focus on a lot of the time. It bores me to tears; as long as I remember the last place I left something, I'm good.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I do both. First, I'll read through it if it's interesting enough; anything to do with psychology, spirituality, philosophy, politics, or history will get a fair shake at a read-through (unless it's patently ridiculous). Then, I'll check to see if the principles behind it make sense; if they do, I'll look for more information that either supports or refutes the conclusion. After doing so, I'll weigh the information, decide on which has the greater chance of being correct, and decide. Even if the idea doesn't seem perfect, I'll keep it floating around if it's interesting, to be revised and improved upon at a later date, if I get more relevant information.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

Interesting question. I don't really strive for harmony, unless it's necessary for whatever reason. Whenever I do, though, I prefer to create consensus among the group, so that I can continue moving toward whatever goal I had in mind (unless I was the one who was causing discord; in that case, I tend to divide the group along whatever lines I think are more useful and/or entertaining).

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

Speak before thinking. I find that overthinking what you're going to say next tends to make whatever a person says next seem a lot less natural, and doesn't fit the conversation too well. Honestly, it depends; I prefer one-on-one communication IF it's with someone I find interesting, and I prefer group discussions IF everyone is listening to what I'm saying. So, while I really enjoy public speaking, I really don't like having to listen to a bunch of people talk while I'm trying to coordinate something (I don't mind if it's constructive, or if the plan hadn't been put together, but random whining and dumb ideas piss me off).

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I see gain very easily, and I tend to minimize pitfalls. So, while I always know where I'm jumping, I tend just to see how much I gain before I see how much I'm risking.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

Depends on how good the show is, and how fun the night out is going to be. So, if we're going to a place where there's a lot of new people to meet, good opportunity to mingle, and a great opportunity for me to make the night end as randomly as possible, then I'll say yes. If not, then I'll just watch the TV show. If my night is less than awesome, there's no point going out; it doesn't even have to be that crazy, but it does have to be fun.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I get very irritable, start lashing out at people, and distracting myself. I also don't want anyone else around me; I prefer to work alone, and I get very quiet whenever I do.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

People that are overly passive, who willingly bow down before others and give them control over their lives. It's one thing if you're being forced to, but willingly putting yourself under the thumb of someone else is anathema to me.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

When I go really in-depth about spirituality, sexuality, life history, and the inner workings of someone else's mind... that can keep me up for a long time.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life

Putting things in their "proper place". Doesn't make any sense to me. I'd much rather just leave it where I put it last, as long as the place doesn't get too messy. I also tend to pay very little attention to how much and exactly what I'm eating (unless I'm working out a lot).

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

My friends perceive me as friendly, relaxed, witty, non-judgemental, and a bit devious. :wink: I wouldn't say they're wrong, just that they don't have the whole picture. They would never say I'm stupid, shy, or overly emotional.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

I'd make something happen. Move myself closer to where I want to be. After a day of making some good moves, I'd party my ass off and make the night as memorable as possible.

Whew... that was difficult! Thoughts?

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Ummm ... I'm going to with Ne over Se. You do seem very Ti heavy, and have described some aspects of what I believe to be Tertiary Fe.

BUT ... I would suggest re-considering your Enneagram however. I know you've typed yourself as a 7, but I really see a lot of 3 there as well. It's definitely your Heart fix, but also seems strong enough to be your core.

There isn't that sense of 'bragging' that sort of comes out with most 3's, but I do see inordinate amount of focus on goals, feeling accomplished. It's commonly believed that 3 is more J domain and there are naysayers that usually don't accept P's as 3's, but it is one of the more intuitive Enneagrams out there.

Anyways, coming back to Ne over Se ... one of the things that I believe really separates the two [sort of stereotypically], is that there's almost always this aspect of "dreaming too big to accomplish, so shifting gears to focus on the achievable instead of the impossible" with ENTP's. I think [and I could be wrong] is that perhaps for most ESTP's it's the other way round - i.e. Focusing on what's in the moment to work towards completing the bigger picture?

I would say that ENTP's are more likely to simply "consider" possibilities and make plans and present them, whereas ESTP's would be more likely to convert the possibilities into reality.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ummm ... I'm going to with Ne over Se. You do seem very Ti heavy, and have described some aspects of what I believe to be Tertiary Fe.

BUT ... I would suggest re-considering your Enneagram however. I know you've typed yourself as a 7, but I really see a lot of 3 there as well. It's definitely your Heart fix, but also seems strong enough to be your core.

There isn't that sense of 'bragging' that sort of comes out with most 3's, but I do see inordinate amount of focus on goals, feeling accomplished. It's commonly believed that 3 is more J domain and there are naysayers that usually don't accept P's as 3's, but it is one of the more intuitive Enneagrams out there.
I did actually consider 3 at one point, but I relate far less to the focused, achievement-oriented part of Type 3, and much more to the scattered, hyperactive experience seeking mind of the 7. I know I seem achievement oriented here, but my goals have less to do with being recognized and amounting to something, and more to do with the logical conclusion of a desire to enjoy myself as much as possible. I also spend more time avoiding pain and deprivation (though, it took some reflecting to come to that understanding), than I do trying not to fail or look bad. In fact, the ups and downs of Type 7 are pretty much me in full, up to and including the tendency to "chase my own tail" (I just got out of a period of time where I was doing exactly that; fun times, got a lot of experience, but I ultimately missed out on a lot of important things).

Interesting you'd say that, though; I'd put 4w3 as my heart fix over 3w4. The whole self-discovering aspect and inherent envy of the Type 4 is a pretty good fit, and I'd attributed my more threeish traits as being indicative of a 3-wing, instead. It was a bit of a toss-up, though, but overall I'd say 4w3 > 3w4 for the heart fix. Up for debate, of course. :wink:

Anyways, coming back to Ne over Se ... one of the things that I believe really separates the two [sort of stereotypically], is that there's almost always this aspect of "dreaming too big to accomplish, so shifting gears to focus on the achievable instead of the impossible" with ENTP's. I think [and I could be wrong] is that perhaps for most ESTP's it's the other way round - i.e. Focusing on what's in the moment to work towards completing the bigger picture?

I would say that ENTP's are more likely to simply "consider" possibilities and make plans and present them, whereas ESTP's would be more likely to convert the possibilities into reality.
I relate a lot to the bolded. I have a very difficult time limiting myself by saying something is impossible, but yeah, my focus is usually on the acheivable. "Shoot for the moon; even if you miss, you'll land among the stars" is something that I can relate to.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
@Dark Romantic
ENTP sounds right
- your communication style is more Get Things Going/Informing, not Take Charge/Directing. ESTPs have a tendency to steer interaction in a certain direction and take the reigns more. you certainly take charge with your life, but your communication style is much more open ended
- your posts show clear Ne
- "to be at the forefront of a revolutionary idea or movement" no Se dom would say that LOL

7w8 Sx/So also sounds right

as for trifix, I would say 7w8-3w4-8w?

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Dark Romantic
ENTP sounds right
- your communication style is more Get Things Going/Informing, not Take Charge/Directing. ESTPs have a tendency to steer interaction in a certain direction and take the reigns more. you certainly take charge with your life, but your communication style is much more open ended
- your posts show clear Ne
- "to be at the forefront of a revolutionary idea or movement" no Se dom would say that LOL

7w8 Sx/So also sounds right

as for trifix, I would say 7w8-3w4-8w?
Interesting... it seems I'll have to take a second look at my trifix. :laughing: Why 3w4 > 4w3?

·
Banned
314 Posts
Wow, I can really relate to your answers. Except maybe I am little more organised.

I am also battling Ne vs Se and can't workout if I an ESTP or ENFP.

I am a type 3w2 however!

Great answers, the way that you think feels very similar to me in some ways, and has helped me to reflect upon myself.

I think I could say that you are definitely Ne dom. Good luck!

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Interesting... it seems I'll have to take a second look at my trifix. :laughing: Why 3w4 > 4w3?
Ok ... I've been doing a lot of reading on the 3's lately of course [since I just concluded it's my core :p - still not sure about the wings, but there's a possibility that I'm balanced, or deviating towards 3w4].

One of the things that I believe separates the 3w4's from 4w3's is that it's possible for a 3 who is prone to jealousy to mistake that as envy. I know both are closely intertwined, but I believe that envy induces longing [4w3] --- whereas jealousy can induce a desire to become better, or project an image of being better [3w4].

Also, practically, a 3w4 will almost always convert envy into "I need to be better therefore I'll observe and mimic what made the other person seem better and put my own unique stamp on it" ... In other words, looking inwards when the difference between the image and the actual self becomes wider. Which also means that 3w4's tend to look inwards *after* failure.

Whereas a 4w3 is very much likely to simply convince himself/herself that "I just can't be better because I'm flawed - but that flaw is part of being human therefore I need to be accepted as I am with my flaws".

3's sometimes tend to forget that they're human because everything starts revolving around what they do instead of how they feel. For a 4, I believe it might actually be the opposite ... they rarely forget who they are because everything they do is closely linked to how they feel about it.

This is just my take based on my readings. I could be wrong. I'm not an expert in Enneagrams by any means.

I also read somewhere on another type forum that 7w8's and 3w4's are quite similar - but that person didn't go into any details. I'm not exactly sure how though because I don't know much about 7w8's.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
4w3 is possible, but I just don't see anything blatantly 4-ish about you other than the fact that you're dark and romantic lol you seem to have a bit of the 3-ish desire to leave your legacy on the world. that said, I'm least sure of your heart type. I should have listed it last (like me, you seem to have very little connection to the heart center)
PS: your post screams Ne.

@Jawz
he is definitely not core 3. all of his goals, organization and accomplishments are focused toward getting what he wants (like a 7). 3s value accomplishment in and of itself and view self worth as a treadmill that you have to keep running on or you fall off and your self worth plummets.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
4w3 is possible, but I just don't see anything blatantly 4-ish about you other than the fact that you're dark and romantic lol you seem to have a bit of the 3-ish desire to leave your legacy on the world. that said, I'm least sure of your heart type. I should have listed it last (like me, you seem to have very little connection to the heart center)

@Jawz
he is definitely not core 3. all of his goals, organization and accomplishments are focused toward getting what he wants (like a 7). 3s value accomplishment in and of itself and view self worth as a treadmill that you have to keep running on or you fall off and your self worth plummets.
Oh >.> I know. I was trying to help him distinguish between 4w3 vs 3w4 as a heart fix.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok ... I've been doing a lot of reading on the 3's lately of course [since I just concluded it's my core :p - still not sure about the wings, but there's a possibility that I'm balanced, or deviating towards 3w4].

One of the things that I believe separates the 3w4's from 4w3's is that it's possible for a 3 who is prone to jealousy to mistake that as envy. I know both are closely intertwined, but I believe that envy induces longing [4w3] --- whereas jealousy can induce a desire to become better, or project an image of being better [3w4].

Also, practically, a 3w4 will almost always convert envy into "I need to be better therefore I'll observe and mimic what made the other person seem better and put my own unique stamp on it" ... In other words, looking inwards when the difference between the image and the actual self becomes wider.

Whereas a 4w3 is very much likely to simply convince himself/herself that "I just can't be better because I'm flawed - but that flaw is part of being human therefore I need to be accepted as I am with my flaws".

3's sometimes tend to forget that they're human because everything starts revolving around what they do instead of how they feel. For a 4, I believe it might actually be the opposite ... they rarely forget who they are because everything they do is closely linked to how they feel about it.

This is just my take based on my readings. I could be wrong. I'm not an expert in Enneagrams by any means.

I also read somewhere on another type forum that 7w8's and 3w4's are quite similar - but that person didn't go into any details. I'm not exactly sure how though because I don't know much about 7w8's.
Interesting. Going on that, then, 3w4 > 4w3. I can't really identify with accepting a flaw; I'd either reframe it as a positive, ignore it entirely, or set about correcting it. I couldn't in a million years accept a position of inferiority, for whatever reason.

From what I'd heard about it, 3w4 envy is focused more on process (as in, "I did all this to get where I am, and this guy just thinks he can come in and do it that easily?"), while 4w3 is focused more on "I deserve X for being me" whether or not the person had worked toward it or not. 4w3s are also more about presenting their inner self into the world for all to see (creating with an audience is how I've heard it described); more artsy and concerned with self-expression and realization of their authenticity. 4w3 vs 3w4 is the difference between inside-out vs. outside-in, at least, from my understanding of it. That's what I relate to much more in the 4w3 vs the 3w4.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All right then... what about the gut fix?

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
All right then... what about the gut fix?
I mostly did process of elimination, I don't see any 9 or 1 in you, but I'm not sure if your gut fix is 8w9 or 8w7. compare for instance with the recent post in my "type me" questionnaire. my post has a lot of 1-ish tendencies that stood out (integrity, standards for different areas of my life, ideological standards and more conviction/sense of heroism). on the other hand, when I look at your post here, I think "Quentin Tarantino character in the process of turning entrepreneur"

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I mostly did process of elimination, I don't see any 9 or 1 in you, but I'm not sure if your gut fix is 8w9 or 8w7. compare for instance with the recent post in my "type me" questionnaire. my post has a lot of 1-ish tendencies that stood out (integrity, standards for different areas of my life, ideological standards and more conviction/sense of heroism). on the other hand, when I look at your post here, I think "Quentin Tarantino character in the process of turning entrepreneur"
I can see either, to be honest. I can relate to the more patient "let's let them come to me, so I can crush them" attitude that the 8w9 has (though, to be honest, I'd only do that if I didn't see as much of a benefit in being proactive in that regard. I only play defence if offence isn't a viable strategy), but I can also relate to the more choleric, conquering attitude of the 8w7. Then again, I'm a 7w8, so a lot of those traits are shared between the two types.

It's basically a choice between Vegeta and Darth Vader: I think I'm more the former than the latter.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
I can see either, to be honest. I can relate to the more patient "let's let them come to me, so I can crush them" attitude that the 8w9 has (though, to be honest, I'd only do that if I didn't see as much of a benefit in being proactive in that regard. I only play defence if offence isn't a viable strategy), but I can also relate to the more choleric, conquering attitude of the 8w7. Then again, I'm a 7w8, so a lot of those traits are shared between the two types.

It's basically a choice between Vegeta and Darth Vader: I think I'm more the former than the latter.
actually, in the prequels he seemed much more 8w7 than 8w9. there was nothing 9-ish about Anakin at all (actually, I'd even go so far as to say he seemed like a 7w8 with stress 1 tendencies much of the time)

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
actually, in the prequels he seemed much more 8w7 than 8w9. there was nothing 9-ish about Anakin at all (actually, I'd even go so far as to say he seemed like a 7w8 with stress 1 tendencies much of the time)
I was going more on the original trilogy than the prequels. Yeah, he was much too reckless for me to think 8w9 > 8w7 at that point.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm starting to believe that ENTPs are the most likely to question their typing lol (myself included). Perhaps it's because we as a type can't let sleeping dogs lie and have to pull at a thread until everything comes completely apart?

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm starting to believe that ENTPs are the most likely to question their typing lol (myself included). Perhaps it's because we as a type can't let sleeping dogs lie and have to pull at a thread until everything comes completely apart?
Yeah, I could see that. Ne makes it really easy to spot multiple perpectives, so ENTPs can get carried away running with a "what if?" That said, it's pretty clear to me now that I'm not an ESTP. Se+Ni is not nearly an accurate way of describing how I perceive the world, and Ne+Si is right on the money.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts