Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start.

Step 1. What if all of humanity unanimously agreed to "wall off" each continent, and destroy all evidence of their being anything beyond those walls. (think Greatest Wall of China or Attack on Titan.)

Step 2. All of humanity successfully keeps their children from learning anything about what is outside the walls, and keeps them from being curious about what is outside the wall, through the usage of religion or something.

Step 2b. See what kind of technology each group of humans can create.

Step 3. I will become a timeless, all powerful entity and watch the evolution of the "humans" until the evolved into something utterly unrecognizable to each other, then knock down the walls.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I thought of one a while back, that I'll link up to...

Basically, each person born in this world would have a trait called "Narrative Weight", which would measure how corrosive to the soul it would be to kill them (the higher the narrative weight, the more corrosive). In ADDITION to that, however, high narrative weight grants you a supernatural level of luck, letting you dodge bullets, find the one handhold of the bottomless pit, etc.

The effects of killing weighty individuals on your soul is twofold. First off (and this is the beneficial part...) YOUR narrative weight increases. That's pretty cool. Second off, however, you become less and less of a human being and more and more of a caricature. If you're greedy, overtime you become willing to sell your wife and kids for a quick buck. If you're racist, you'll eventually start killing every member of the group you hate you see. As time passes, the caricaturization even blends all your baser urges into a cocktail of evil, making you the classic Stupid Evil murderhobo. Even when you don't want to be.

And to make it more awesome, people of this world have formed a caste system around narrative weight. There are many signs it's inherited, and weighty individuals are obviously superior to those with less weight. Meaning, among other things, they can kill people with very little weight with impunity, since they have almost no effect on the high-NW souls. They can and did form a hideously oppressive regime. Revolution is seething in many...

...but if you kill them...:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts