Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Couldn't find any threads about this (If there are, please do inform). So I'm interested how this differs with types (might even work as a typing tool) -- check your dominant brain hemisphere and tell me your results. :proud:

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

I'm apparently right brained, though I can change the direction if I focus in a certain way.

If you have anything to add regarding the Rbrain V Lbrain topic please do.

ADD: A must if you're unsure about the first test!

http://www.personalitypathways.com/thomson/images/brain-regions.gif

·
Registered
435 Posts
Either I'm a damn genius or that picture sucks. If you look at the mid torso, it moves clockwise. If you look at the feet it moves anti-clockwise. I doubt that the part of the body your eye is drawn to initially has anything to do with which side is dominant.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either I'm a damn genius or that picture sucks. If you look at the mid torso, it moves clockwise. If you look at the feet it moves anti-clockwise. I doubt that the part of the body your eye is drawn to initially has anything to do with which side is dominant.
Nope, this's the way it happens. If you have it easy switching between the two then you have don't have a significant dominating hemisphere, although just like the cognitive functions, we tend to prefer one over the other. Try not focusing and see what comes natural for you.

Most people who try will find it hard to switch between the two (AND actually stay the prefered way) -- primarily, because they're so heavily dominated by one brain hemisphere, but also because we tend to go with what's natural for us (this can vary in different situations). Whenever I look at the text and see the dancer >peripheral vision< she immediately starts spinning left.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm right-brained, like most males. Can't remember if one part of the brain is more commonly dominant in females, but females have better communication between the hemispheres, so they more often see the dancer switching sides. Moves clockwise for me and can't get it to go the other way. :p

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Well when I first looked it was clockwise and no matter what I couldn't get it to change direction. Then I left the page and came back and it was counter-clockwise and I couldn't get it to change.

But I already know I'm right-brained dominant and the list of traits shows that.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
I noticed right away that it depends on whether you're seeing it "from above" or "from below."
I didn't feel like I necessarily had a direction in mind.

(Did my brain just one-up a brain test? Ha! :p)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I noticed right away that it depends on whether you're seeing it "from above" or "from below."
I didn't feel like I necessarily had a direction in mind.

(Did my brain just one-up a brain test? Ha! :p)
Doesn't work that way for me :eek:, I can barely control it -- Try the test!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your Left Brain Percentages

40% Sequential (Your most dominant characteristic)
38% Logical
37% Linear
34% Reality-based
20% Verbal
9% Symbolic (Your least dominant characteristic)

Your Right Brain Percentages

58% Intuitive (Your most dominant characteristic)
48% Holistic
37% Concrete
32% Nonverbal
32% Fantasy-oriented
17% Random (Your least dominant characteristic)

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Something interesting I happened to be reading yesterday that I thought was very relevant to this thread...

Excerpts from Jill Bolte Taylor - My Stroke of Insight (neuro-anatomyst):

...It is important to understand that hemispheric dominance is not to be confused with hand dominance. Dominance in the brain is determined by which hemisphere houses the ability to create and understand verbal language. Although the statistics vary depending upon whom you ask, virtually everyone who is right-handed (more than85% of the US population) is left hemisphere dominant...more than 60% of left-handed people are also classified as left hemisphere dominant.

Right Hemisphere
...functions like a parallel processor. Independent streams of information simultaneously burst into our brain via each of our sensory systems. Moment by moment, our right mind creates a master collage of what this moment in time looks like, sounds like, tastes like, smells like, and feels like...Thanks to the skills of our right mind, we are capable of remembering isolated moments with uncanny clarity and accuracy...our right hemisphere is designed to remember things as they relate to one another. Borders between specific entities are softened, and complex mental collages can be recalled in their entirety as combinations of images, kinesthetics, and physiology...no time exists other than the present moment, and each moment is vibrant sensation...
Life or death occurs in the present moment. The experience of joy happens in the present moment. Our right mind is free to think intuitively outside the box...It perceives the big picture, how everything is related and how we all join together to make up the whole. Our ability to be empathic, to walk in the shoes of another and feel their feelings, is a product of our right frontal cortex.

By its design, our right mind is spontaneous, carefree, and imaginative. It allows our artistic juices to flow free without inhibition or judgement...the present moment is a time when everything and everyone are connected together as one.

Left Hemisphere
...It takes each of those rich and complex moments...and strings them together in timely succession. It then sequentially compares the details making up the last moment. By organizing details in a linear and methodical configuration, our left brain manifests the concept of time whereby our moments are divided into past, present, and future...I look at my shoes and socks and it is my left hemisphere that comprehends that I must put my socks on before my shoes. It can look at all the details of a puzzle and use the clues of color, shape, and size to recognize patterns for arrangement. It builds an understanding of everything using deductive reasoning...our left mind thrives on details, details, and more details about those details. Our left hemisphere uses words to describe, define, categorize, and communicate about everything. They break the big picture perception of the present moment into manageable and comparable bits of data that they can talk about.

Via our left hemisphere language centers, our mind speaks to us constantly, a phenomenon I refer to as "brain chatter"...one of the jobs of the left hemisphere language centers is to define our self by saying "I am". Through the use of brain chatter your brain repeats over and over again the details of your life so you can remember them. It is the home of your ego center, which provides you with an internal awareness of what your name is, what your credentials are, and where you live...our left hemisphere thinks in patterned responses to incoming stimulation...it is superb at predicting what we will think, how we will act, or what we will feel in the future-based upon our past experience...our left hemisphere categorizes information into hierarchies, including things that attract and repel us...Through the action of critical judgement and analysis, our left brain constantly compares us to everyone else.

Dominant Communication
With language, for example, our left hemisphere understands the details making up the structure and semantics of the sentence - and the meaning of the words. It is our left mind that understands what letters are and how they fit together to create a sound (word) that has concept (meaning) attached to it. It then strings words together in a linear fashion to create sentences and paragraphs capable of conveying very complex messages.

Our right hemisphere complements the action of our left hemisphere language centre by interpreting non-verbal communication. Our right mind evaluates the more subtle cues of the language, including tone of voice, facial expression, and body language. Our right hemisphere looks at the big picture of communication and assesses the congruity of the overall expression. Any inconsistencies between how someone holds their body, versus their facial expression, versus their tone of voice, versus the message they are communication, might indicate either a neurological abnormality in how someone expresses himself or it may prove to be a telltale sign that the person is not telling the truth.

Some of us have nurtured both of our characters and are really good at utilizing the skills and personalities of both sides of our brain, allowing them to support, influence, and temper one another as we live our lives. Others of us, however, are quite unilateral in our thinking - either exhibiting extremely rigid thinking patterns that are analytically critical (extreme left brain), or we seldom connect to a common reality and spend most of our time "with our head in the clouds" (extremem right brain). Creating a healthy balance between our two characters enables us the ability to remain cognitively flexible enough to welcome change(right), and yet remain concrete enough to stay a path (left).

·
Registered
544 Posts
Right brain-dominant. I tend to be somewhere between 45:55 (left:right) and 35:65 (left:right). So, not exactly extreme in my dominance, but a definite lean. This has been the case since I was 12 and took a similar test for hemisphere dominance.

(My 6th grade gifted teacher was the INFJ of INFJs... She introduced us to MBTI, hemisphere dominance, and a few other psychological profiles. She was intent on all of us understanding ourselves and our potential. Even if we were only 12. She also had the dream of dying by lightning strike at the top of a tree...)

·
Registered
428 Posts
In most right/left brain tests I've taken, I'm usually in the middle--49%-51% one side, or the other side. On occasion I've even been 50%-50%.

I took the link above for the art institute of vancouver, and my breakdown was:
Left Brain Right Brain 49% 51%

43% Linear (Your most dominant characteristic) 30%
Logical 27%
Sequential 27%
Reality-based
25%
Symbolic
7%
Verbal (Your least dominant characteristic)

Your Right Brain Percentages
62% Random (Your most dominant characteristic) 29%
Intuitive 28%
Concrete
24%
Fantasy-oriented
18%
Holistic
7%
Nonverbal (Your least dominant characteristic)

What strikes me as funny is these results show me both as being low in the non-verbal category, and low in the verbal category. Apparently I use words well, but don't use words well. Which, upon thought, makes more sense for my personality than I initially thought.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts