Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I had a debate with an SJ over trends like distressed jeans. I personally like them, although there's a right way and a wrong way they should be ripped. This SJ I was talking to thought they made people look like hobos, and wearing them showed that they lack self-respect.

What do you SJ's think? Is it sloppy, cool, or something you couldn't care less about?

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
It's like that faded jeans look a long time ago... I had jeans that were naturally faded and they looked cool but the ones you could buy liked so obviously fake and lame. If the jeans rip naturally and are still wearable then perhaps but they have a time and a place :p

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I'm not a fan of jeans. They are too uncomfortable. But to buy garments that have been distressed and have holes in them is just plain nuts and wastes resources.

The only setting where holes in clothes are acceptable is something like yard work or remote camping.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
:blushed::blushed::blushed:

*Flees thread

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Ripped jeans seems a little foolish to me, mainly because people buy them for large sums of money, and you may as well get a very cheap pair and tie them to a car wheel for a few days and then wear them. A good design is a good design, but mostly they seem just to be overpriced for no good reason.

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
I don't understand why would anyone wants to wear ripped jeans if they can wear non ripped jeans.

265 Posts
I mean yea logically it makes no sense. but it's kind of like v necks.... what's the point? why have stripes on shirts? why have a collar? why wear skirts when you can wear pants? why have colors?

answer: fashion

some people just like the way it looks... no need to go into why it makes no "sense". most clothes don't make any sense.

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
I mean yea logically it makes no sense. but it's kind of like v necks.... what's the point? why have stripes on shirts? why have a collar? why wear skirts when you can wear pants? why have colors?

some people just like the way it looks... no need to go into why it makes no "sense". most clothes don't make any sense.
Yeah, in the name of fashion, people would go too far some times, without thinking if that fashion really matches with them or not.

I call it fashion victim.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
Yeah, in the name of fashion, people would go too far some times, without thinking if that fashion really matches with them or not.

Ooooh! I love the hat in that second pic, but I'd probably wear it with something subtle to make it the main feature.

...and, by the way, taste is subjective. :)

·
Registered
364 Posts

Good one. :laughing:There are a few things which isn't always driven by logic or reason. Fashion is one of them.

265 Posts

Sure yea. But what is too far anyway? It's just a personal preference. So if we are going to set boundaries on what is acceptable based on personal preference then why not wear what we want to wear based on personal preference.

I think people wear jeans that are ripped because it expresses something about their personality or they WANT it to express something about their personality. Or maybe they wear what they wear in order to fit in with other people. But even then it's trying to give people a certain impression for a certain reason. It's basically like an avatar in this forum. So I think it's silly to label it as impractical or too far.... it's all personal preference.

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
Sure yea. But what is too far anyway? It's just a personal preference. So if we are going to set boundaries on what is acceptable based on personal preference then why not wear what we want to wear based on personal preference.

I think people wear jeans that are ripped because it expresses something about their personality or they WANT it to express something about their personality. Or maybe they wear what they wear in order to fit in with other people. But even then it's trying to give people a certain impression for a certain reason. It's basically like an avatar in this forum. So I think it's silly to label it as impractical or too far.... it's all personal preference.
I think you take it too far. As you see, the OP said he was arguing with an SJ friend about ripped jeans. His SJ friend didn't like it because he thinks it looks silly, and the OP wonders if other SJs have the same opinion.

And as you can see from this whole thread, most SJs didn't like ripped jeans either, because to us, ripped jeans is ridiculous and non-practical, no matter how "fashionable" or "personalize" it is.

If you disagree with us, then it's up to you. It's just a matter of taste. I don't see any reason for you and me to have an argument about it. I don't give a damn even if you think wearing ripped jeans with a bra from tissue is cool or not. Your life is not my business, really. :happy:

Reactions: Miriamisfj

·
Registered
788 Posts
It's like that faded jeans look a long time ago... I had jeans that were naturally faded and they looked cool but the ones you could buy liked so obviously fake and lame. If the jeans rip naturally and are still wearable then perhaps but they have a time and a place :p
I'm not an SJ but this is how I feel about ripped stuff. If it rips naturally then it somehow feels more authentic aesthetically. Pre-ripping them seems to miss out the whole point about them.

Plus if they're ripped or stonewashed are they going to last as long..? It might make sense if they were cheaper and you wanted stuff that wasn't going to last as long for a lower price but it's usually more :confused:... For less material...

265 Posts
I think you take it too far. As you see, the OP said he was arguing with an SJ friend about ripped jeans. His SJ friend didn't like it because he thinks it looks silly, and the OP wonders if other SJs have the same opinion.

Give me one "practical" reason I am taking it too far. I know what the OP said. You don't have to say it again. Nice try.

And as you can see from this whole thread, most SJs didn't like ripped jeans either, because to us, ripped jeans is ridiculous and non-practical, no matter how "fashionable" or "personalize" it is.
Ripped jeans are just as impractical as skirts, collars, colors, tails on a tuxedo, ties, ruffles, etc. If you are going to dislike ripped jeans then you might as well dislike those too. As I said, most clothes are impractical.

If you disagree with us, then it's up to you. It's just a matter of taste. I don't see any reason for you and me to have an argument about it. I don't give a damn even if you think wearing ripped jeans with a bra from tissue is cool or not. Your life is not my business, really. :happy:
* blankly stares*. Did you read what I wrote? I just said it's a matter of taste. You just stated what I said as if it was your idea. Nice job.

I never argued against ripped jeans.... read what I said. I don't feel like repeating myself.

Furthermore, nothing I said had to do with my life.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My ex had a pair of jeans that became 'naturally' distressed-they ripped over time, actual wear and tear. Once ripped, they were the hottest jeans I ever did see on that lad.....he wore them well lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I personally am not a huge fan of ripped jeans but what it comes down to is whether you want to wear it or not, it's your choice. Ripped jeans are also outdated since not a lot of people nowadays wear them or find them too comforting and then there are those who'd find comfort in them, it's rare to see somebody walking down the main street or downtown wearing ripped jeans.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I was amused at first when a rational started this topic. But now I'm amazed that people can waste time talking about ripped jeans and arguing about personal tastes (when there r many, much more serious issues which they can spend time thinking/talking of).

I don't have up anything against anyone...it was just an observation.:happy:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I was amused at first when a rational started this topic. But now I'm amazed that people can waste time talking about ripped jeans and arguing about personal tastes (when there r many, much more serious issues which they can spend time thinking/talking of).

I don't have up anything against anyone...it was just an observation.:happy:

In a purely practical sense, unless someone's a charity worker in the bowels of third world countries, or on a trip to debate with church leaders on how much, if at all their policies should be put into action in the community and so forth, their contemplating and discussing such issues on internet forums isn't going to make much more of a meaningful impact on the world than contemplating jeans. Considering the size of the internet, and the range of threads on this forum, I don't see what's to be scoffed at.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts