Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and my ISTP are taking a road trip by car through the US for as long as our money will take us (hopefully close to 3 months if we're really slumming it couchsurfing and camping on Ramen noodles and canned beans). We've only taken one trip together before which was to his folks' cabin - a short 3 day trip - but it was amazing and I'm hoping this trip will be even better.
However, since we're going to be spending 24/7 together without his usual escape into computer gaming, I'm a little worried we'll get on each other's nerves. I'm also wondering if there are any factors about road tripping that might be stressful for him which I should try to help take the pressure off?
Any advice for me would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I really don't know how to speak for other ISTPs on the matter. But I can give you my experience on myself -

Don't sing.
Don't hum.
Don't talk just for the sake of talking.

Violations to these sacred rules, henceforth known as the Road Tripping Trinity, and getting strapped to the hood of a car may ensue.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I really don't know how to speak for other ISTPs on the matter. But I can give you my experience on myself -

Don't sing.
Don't hum.
Don't talk just for the sake of talking.

Violations to these sacred rules, henceforth known as the Road Tripping Trinity, and getting strapped to the hood of a car may ensue.
+1

Let him do the majority of the driving. Sleep a lot.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I know I like to listen to headphones on and off whenever I need to "escape" during a long car trip. He might want to do that.

Reactions: Crystall

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
My ISTP husband just listens to music much of the time and we even sing along together. He never sings unless he feels other voices are drowning him out. Conversations don't seem to bother him in moderation, especially if they're light hearted. At the same time if I want to just sit and read (he always drives, as he loves it and I hate it) he certainly doesn't take offense to it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Roadtrips! Glorious Roadtrips! 3 months seems like a long time -- I tend to get homesick after just a few days but I'm guessing I could sustain the energy if I'm really into something.

I'm finding that more recently I'm using my computer less and less. It may be my diminishing desire for computer gaming (not really) but I'm starting to use the computer more for researching the area I'm visiting and getting as much factual information about a certain destination beforehand.

The biggest issue I see is the waning "momentum" and burnout setting in. Might happen, might not. From experience, once things become less than desirable and I start getting homesick, I want to get back ASAP! My advice...take it slow, don't try to jam too much in at once, plan an extra day or two here and there for doing absolutely nothing. Oh, and if your ISTP mentions he wants to go somewhere and it sounds completely boring or obscure, just go along with it! I love going for drives to absolutely nowhere just for the fun of it -- the last thing I want is my passenger yelling at me "what are you going to find here? you're wasting gas! why don't you turn around already!"

·
Registered
603 Posts
My ISTP husband just listens to music much of the time and we even sing along together. He never sings unless he feels other voices are drowning him out. Conversations don't seem to bother him in moderation, especially if they're light hearted. At the same time if I want to just sit and read (he always drives, as he loves it and I hate it) he certainly doesn't take offense to it.
Thanks for sharing that Linnifae (and for the tips you guys)... roadtrips are generally one of my favorite things to do. I know my ISTP gets sleepy on the road, and I adore driving, so I wouldn't mind taking the wheel at all.

It's funny how I can take little bits of random information about ISTPs and fit it into their whole character as well as relate it to different habits and behaviors in their personality. Well, there's one good thing about being an ENFP!

:blushed:

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Road trips eh? I've always wanted to. Though on my last long drive I listened to every cd in my collection several times, which got kinda old. Having company would have been fun.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I went road tripping (and ahem...other types of "tripping") with an ISTP (or ESTP, not sure which). It was so fun. Lots of greasy shit food (In N Out, chips, burritos, etc) blasting LOUD rock with the windows and top down and yelling/singing along together and speeeeeeding. Oh, and stopping in random towns and chatting with the strangest looking mountain men we could find, randomly and for no reason. :crazy: How we didn't get diced into pieces by some bearman crankster and tossed inside a van is a miracle.

Rules:

* Stimulation (shouldn't be hard for you, as an ENFP)
* FOOD
* special brownies
* Take turns on the driving for long trips
* If the passenger wants to sleep, lower the volume on the music and let them.

·
Registered
666 Posts
How we didn't get diced into pieces by some bearman crankster and tossed inside a van is a miracle.
Pretty easy to explain actually. You were in the car with an ISTP. The mixture of Ti and Ni can be a pretty quick judge of character, and will notice when we see something that makes us uneasy. ^^

The rest of that post sounds like a lot of fun too. :proud:

One thing... Offer to drive for the ISTP, but DO NOT be forcefull about it. A lot of us can't stand when someone else in behind the wheel, do not find it relaxing, and wont be able to sleep anyways.

·
Registered
603 Posts
One thing... Offer to drive for the ISTP, but DO NOT be forcefull about it. A lot of us can't stand when someone else in behind the wheel, do not find it relaxing, and wont be able to sleep anyways.
Ok, he can drive if he likes, that just means I can sleep and/or read and/or just look at him (which might bother him though so I'll ask before I look)

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Ok, he can drive if he likes, that just means I can sleep and/or read and/or just look at him (which might bother him though so I'll ask before I look)
Don't do the stare thing...to anyone you don't plan to hunt and eat. That would unnerve and irritate anyone, even me.

But sure, ask. "ISTP, would you mind if I just stare at your ear and forehead for 5 hours straight? If you like, I can blink occasionally."

:crazy:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Don't do the stare thing...to anyone you don't plan to hunt and eat. That would unnerve and irritate anyone, even me.

But sure, ask. "ISTP, would you mind if I just stare at your ear and forehead for 5 hours straight? If you like, I can blink occasionally."

:crazy:
I kind of...

want to attack his ear

[Edit: Nevermind, I like it when he looks back and I wouldn't want him to crash the car.]

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Stimulation, stimulation, stimulation. My wife though she was easily bored until she met me.
We love road trips and all our vacations contain lots of them. Just last weekend we spent somewhere in the vicinity of 30 hours on the road to check some Norwegian fjords and glaciers out.
We use the road trips to catch up on each other. It's not that we don't have silences, but we also have a lot of meaningful conversation. That's something that began as a compromise from my side, just to make things work between us, but that I've grown to enjoy so much I can't imagine living without it anymore. I agree with Carbon regarding "unnecessary noise" though.

Oh, and I'm almost always behind the wheel if we don't ride scooters or ATVs. I hate not having to focus when traveling.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I actually love staring at my ISTP as well. He usually hides his face behind his hand when I do it, but if he's driving there is no escape! :tongue:
I also love to touch his arm or leg, kiss him on the cheek, and occasionally lean my head against his shoulder while he drives. Car cuddling is the best! (I'm compulsively affectionate, which he is gradually learning to adjust to)

We do chat a bit while driving, but we have our silences as well which is fine. I'm a pretty chatty person, but when I'm travelling I've always tended to stare off out the window and get lost in thought, so he's usually the one initiating conversation! :laughing:

Anything I can do to ease his anxieties about money and such?

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Anything I can do to ease his anxieties about money and such?
a) If your economic situation isn't really as bad as he makes it, show him that you do indeed have some margins. If it is, well he's probably just being realistic and thinking about how to make the best out of what you have.
b) Make a sport out of doing things on the cheap. Our last trip was made just to look at some new stuff. We packed a mattress and some bedding and mounted the cover on the back of our pickup truck, brought a few cans of tuna and a loaf of bread and my old guitar, and that was it. The whole trip cost us just about nothing but fuel and road tolls. There's no sleeping like in the cool mountain air and with clear skies above.
It's a different thing if you plan to be away for months on end, but my opinion still is that people are happier the less they worry.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Here is a fantastic game for you and your ISTP to try. He controls the wheel, clutch and accelerator. You control the stickshift and e-brake. What could possibly go wrong?!

^___________________________________________*CRASH____________X

1 - 20 of 28 Posts