Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ohio Christian school tells student to skip prom

FINDLAY, Ohio – A student at a fundamentalist Baptist school that forbids dancing, rock music, hand-holding and kissing will be suspended if he takes his girlfriend to her public high school prom, his principal said.

Despite the warning, 17-year-old Tyler Frost, who has never been to a dance before, said he plans to attend Findlay High School's prom Saturday.

Frost, a senior at Heritage Christian School in northwest Ohio, agreed to the school's rules when he signed a statement of cooperation at the beginning of the year, principal Tim England said.

The teen, who is scheduled to receive his diploma May 24, would be suspended from classes and receive an "incomplete" on remaining assignments, England said. Frost also would not be permitted to attend graduation but would get a diploma once he completes final exams. If Frost is involved with alcohol or sex at the prom, he will be expelled, England said.

Frost's stepfather Stephan Johnson said the school's rules should not apply outside the classroom.

"He deserves to wear that cap and gown," Johnson said.

Frost said he thought he had handled the situation properly. Findlay requires students from other schools attending the prom to get a signature from their principal, which Frost did.

"I expected a short lecture about making the right decisions and not doing something stupid," Frost said. "I thought I would get his signature and that would be the end."

England acknowledged signing the form but warned Frost there would be consequences if he attended the dance. England then took the issue to a school committee made up of church members, who decided to threaten Frost with suspension.

"In life, we constantly make decisions whether we are going to please self or please God. (Frost) chose one path, and the school committee chose the other," England said.

The handbook for the 84-student Christian school says rock music "is part of the counterculture which seeks to implant seeds of rebellion in young people's hearts and minds."

England said Frost's family should not be surprised by the school's position.

"For the parents to claim any injustice regarding this issue is at best forgetful and at worst disingenuous," he said. "It is our hope that the student and his parents will abide by the policies they have already agreed to."

The principal at Findlay High School, whose graduates include Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, said he respects, but does not agree with, Heritage Christian School's view of prom.

"I don't see (dancing and rock music) as immoral acts," Craig Kupferberg said.

Information from: The Courier, TheCourier.com: Findlay and Northwest Ohio's source for news, sports, jobs, cars, homes

Did we magically transport back to the 50s or something? This is ridiculous and I agree with the kid's stepfather that the school's policy should not carry over from the school grounds. What he does away from the school is none of their business. The school's policy is outdated and should be rewritten.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I definitely agree with you CHAwklet. How anyone in today's society can be so outdated is beyond me.
But there is a question I want to pose:
What is the Baptist religion about? What rules or 'laws' do they follow to the 'T'?
Unfortunately, in today's society, you can't have that sort of outlook, coz it will backfire eventually, and then you'll land up with one HUGE mess.
What the school contract said, should only apply when in the school grounds, not outside of the school grounds.
But, saying that, I'd also like to add something else:
Why would a parent send a child to a school like that in today's world when the parents know that those rules ARE going to be broken?
It might have been well intentioned, but it ain't gonna work in today's society.
Another thing:
What are the state laws when it comes to issues like that?

·
Registered
372 Posts
People who forbid others to hold hands and dance deserve to burn in hell.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Seriously he did sign the thing so he knew what kind of school he was going at, so it cant come as a chok. On the other hand handing a person a signature to go and then say "if you go you'll have to face some consquences" afterwards is just idiotic, if not told before the signature was signed.

That said i dont understand this article, and why it was posted, its just silly and judgemental. Everyone should be able to do what they want to do and believe what they want to.

·
Registered
123 Posts
There are many things to be concerned about in this world.
This does not happen to be one of them.
I'm more concerned about the fact that people are believing hocus pocus about the crucified guy than about whether this kid gets a diploma from the school that teaches him that hocus pocus.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm glad that I'm an atheist. Organized religions that have absurd rules such as this sicken me.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I feel that if you join an organization and agree to its rules then you should make sure they are rules you believe in and can live with. If not you should not be a part of that organization in the first place. I also think if more people thought that way, most churches would be a lot emptier. This is a private school so why go there if they have rules you find ridicules. That said I do agree the schools rules (any school) should not apply outside of the classroom.

This made me chuckle. “If Frost is involved with alcohol or sex at the prom, he will be expelled, England said.” Yeah I remember all the sex and alcohol at my prom. Right there on the dance floor.:wink::shocked::cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
you're right about how stupid it was to sign the permit and then tell about the schmoncequenses.

other thing is the principles behind the scool rules and why to go to that kind of school. maybe the family beleved they'd get better eduaction in there. the school rules should apply only to school grounds and trips to and from school (was like that back when i was in school). why they came up with rules forbidding rock music and stuff like that, i don't know. maybe they just forgot to abolish them.

rock music "is part of the counterculture which seeks to implant seeds of rebellion in young people's hearts and minds."
hell yeah! and it should stay like that. too bad that it's watered down lately and that senseless "oombh-oombh" "R&B" is everywhere. i thought r&b was for "rythm and blues"...

i'd like to introduce Mr. Robert John Arthur Halford to Tim England and the heritage school board and see what they think of him :D

·
Nerf Herder
7,072 Posts
LMMFAO at the fact that anybody would actually send a child to such a school where they will not get a 'proper' education and will recieve brainwashing attempts, and then complaing about the fact that they signed a contract and they want the rules to be void where they see fit, not realizing the community they signed the contract with are not ppl who change their ways or any way of thinking no matter what evidence or rational logic is submitted.

If youre goingto complaing about such a stupid rule, the first thing you need to do is not involve yourself with such a community, if you do then its your own damn fault and deal with it.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, just too damn funny >:p

Dont sign your soul over to the devil then complain when he finds a loophole you did not count on, or an unmentioned circumstance.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
LMMFAO at the fact that anybody would actually send a child to such a school where they will not get a 'proper' education and will recieve brainwashing attempts, and then complaing about the fact that they signed a contract and they want the rules to be void where they see fit, not realizing the community they signed the contract with are not ppl who change their ways or any way of thinking no matter what evidence or rational logic is submitted.

If youre goingto complaing about such a stupid rule, the first thing you need to do is not involve yourself with such a community, if you do then its your own damn fault and deal with it.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, just too damn funny >:p

Dont sign your soul over to the devil then complain when he finds a loophole you did not count on, or an unmentioned circumstance.
Well, I think the parents were thinking what a lot of people were on this forum. They thought that it would apply to school grounds and such. Which would make sense, since usually schools do that in some form or another. But they didn't think it would effect his social and private life as well. While he did sign it, they should've made that clear up front.

Think about it: They basically had a minor sign what they think seems to be a legal document. And didn't tell him the consequences of not following "it". See the problem a lot of people are having with this?

·
Nerf Herder
7,072 Posts
Well, I think the parents were thinking what a lot of people were on this forum. They thought that it would apply to school grounds and such. Which would make sense, since usually schools do that in some form or another. But they didn't think it would effect his social and private life as well. While he did sign it, they should've made that clear up front.

Think about it: They basically had a minor sign what they think seems to be a legal document. And didn't tell him the consequences of not following "it". See the problem a lot of people are having with this?
No, sorry not really. Is a school dance not on the school grounds? Or not school related?

Get involved with such a community, youre going to have to deal with such irrational crap as this. Sorry, shouldve known what they were getting into, plus did they not warn him ahead of time what would happen if he did show up with his g/f?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, sorry not really. Is a school dance not on the school grounds? Or not school related?

Get involved with such a community, youre going to have to deal with such irrational crap as this. Sorry, shouldve known what they were getting into, plus did they not warn him ahead of time what would happen if he did show up with his g/f?
Did you even read the entire article? He wanted to go to his girlfriend's prom at her school. The two schools are not related. The rules of his should not extend to the grounds of another.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Did you even read the entire article? He wanted to go to his girlfriend's prom at her school. The two schools are not related. The rules of his should not extend to the grounds of another.
Which is what I was alluding to. Why should thier rules have to be involved in his personal life? Shouldn't what he do outside of school not concern the school?

·
Nerf Herder
7,072 Posts
My bad. to be honest i only read first paragraph then just skimmed the rest. im still not surprised by such a school pulling this kind of thing, seriously.

we must protect children from lives of sin or theyll burn in hell forever, the school is only doing what needs to be done in order to save the kids' souls.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.