Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of Romanticism? As in the artistic movement. Personally it resonates with me; being a Thinker, my emotions are quite raw and not well processed, and oddly enough, feeling for the sake of feeling very much appeals to me because of that. I'm obsessed with cultivating strong emotional states, like many IFP's. But I used to know an INTP who hated it...she went on and on about how terrible and stupid it was and how it irrationally glorfied the orphan for the sake of glorifying the orphan (and other stereotypes), was misandrist, parochial, despised adulthood...I think many of them are valid points and it is deinately shallow and simplistic in certain ways but if it appeals to you on some deep level, what's the big deal? I can seperate art from life. So I hold them to different standards. I oppose much of what it stands for, but in the world of art there is no better approach, because that is exactly where that sort of philosophy is appropriate. Gritty and realistic never did much for me. I like art to be art, thank you very much. In this way, I very much relate to the emotional/aesthetic sensibilities of ISFP's.

So what do you think? Are you a big R romantic like me, or do you have reservations? I'm curious to know which one of us represents the majority view amongst INTP's.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Love it. It's my favourite genre/time period/what have you.

More specifically I resonate with the Dark Romantics. Emily Dickinson, Lord Byron, Samuel Colridge, Mary Shelly, Horace Walpole, H. P. Lovecraft (does he count?). And, as always, the lovely Edgar Allan Poe. My favourite author ever.

I use dark romantic literature (and music of course) to express my emotions. Feeling just to feel appeals to me as well, and when my mind is engaged in dark fantasy I feel the most intense.

Reactions: nevermore

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a dark romantic as well! Not that I don't very much appreciate the more mainstream kind, but I've always been obsessed with art that has dark/mysterious overtones. Angry, intense music, despair, fear, but also (and perhaps especially) the feeling of bitter melancholy. My username is even based off Edgar Allen Poe, lol. I love to write stories with tragic endings...in fact unless I'm doing comedy (which isn't really in the same category) I find it almost impossible to write a story without killing off most of the characters. Musically I'm drawn less overwhelmingly to it...I consume much less dark stuff (still love it though) and tend to compose/improvise in the bittersweet vein. Visually I'm drawn to dark extraveganace...but always look the other way if it becomes kitschy.

If we see any more responses my Ne is guessing many INTP's will be of a similar taste. Props to anyone who loves operatic metal.:crazy:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts