Discussion Starter #1
Type Shakesphere's "Romeo and Juliet".

Romeo- ENFP

Juliet- ?????

Reactions: NeonBomb

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I'd love helping about this, but I'm sure Romeo and Juliet are NFs. Can't say no more.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Tybalt: ESTJ

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reactions: Heavelyn

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I'd love helping about this, but I'm sure Romeo and Juliet are NFs. Can't say no more.
I totally agree. Only two NFs would kill themselves for love.

·
Registered
118 Posts
All I know is Mercutio is badass and a definite ENTP
and R&J are two of the most annoying characters in all of Shakespeare. Like seriously! seriously! you've known each other for like 2 seconds, take a breath and DONT kill yourselves... actually do, but do it in Act 1, save us all the pain of listening to your hormone fuelled soliloquies.. thanks

Reactions: leictreon

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think Romeo is INFP, rather than ENFP. If you actually look at his character, he is constantly going off on his own. At the beginning of the play, his parents are looking for him. Benvolio tries to convince Romeo to come to the party rather than sulk alone over Rosaline. Romeo is very aware of his own inner feelings, and those feelings seem to draw him away from other people. He's pretty non-confrontational, and Juliet's nurse even remarks that he is a quiet, sweet type.

I'm a little confused over Mercutio's ENTP label. Is he really a Thinker? He strikes me as more ENFP, as he seems to be driven by moments of passion. He becomes emotional and indignant, which leads him to fight with Tybalt. I don't think he makes decisions logically.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Romeo is DEFINETLY not an ENFP. I would say INFP for sure. He is so emotional brooding over his love. He basically commits suicide over a girl. This is an INFP thing to do. He makes poems for her. It's a very INFP thing to do.

Everyone thinking Mercutio is an ENTP sends me into doubt either about my own personality type or his typing because I would type him as an ENFP. I can see myself being just like Mercutio.
Come on man cheer up! Come to this awesome party! you might meet a great girl you like!
Great you are cheered up!
Ughh! really, I'm fed up! I'm fighting this for you because you are so Incompetent!
I am so ****** upset at you two you stupid idiots! Go to ****!!! and then making some horrible pun to lighten to mood of my death.
I couldn't really see my ENTP friend going to such lengths for Romeo in the first place. My ENTP friend would just be like: You are depressed because you fell in love with some girl. You brought this on yourself, man. I'm not feeling sorry for you.

I have no clue on Juliet, I don't really care for her. She is probably a feeler whatever she is.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Shakespeare him self must have been an Enneagram 4 based on this play he wrote

Romeo ENFP 2w?

Juliet ISFP 4w3

Mercutio ENTP 8w7

Tybalt ESTJ Counterphobic 6

Benvolio ESFP ???

Father Laurence IxTJ

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Shakespeare him self must have been an Enneagram 4, writing a play as tragic as this one
Well...the play's not really a tragedy. Well, technically it is a tragedy, since several members of the cast die - but it's much closer in spirit to the Italian comedies of his early period (Two Gentlemen of Verona, Taming of the Shrew, Merchant of Venice) than it is to the later tragedies. If you want tragedy, look* at King Lear! - which is a spiritual ancestor of Beckett.

*: Or if you're Gloucester, don't look. "Lest it see more prevent it. Out, vile jelly! Where is thy lustre now?" ... "The gods are just, and of our pleasant vices / Make instruments to scourge us. / The dark and vicious place where thee he got / Cost him his eyes." Ugh.

And what would you say of the Shakespeare who wrote the histories (from the tub-thumbing patriotism - or is it? - of Henry V, that political codfish, to the elaborate poetry of Richard II), the dazzlingly clever Love's Labours Lost, or the later romances? Shakespeare's personality seems to change with every play. Either he was a universal genius, or he was a front for several other people (Marlowe, Bacon, Elizabeth I, the Earls of Essex, Derby, Rutland, and Oxford, and an Italian).

A lot of Shakespeare's plays cross genres- which is why they horrified the French, whose idea of perfection was Greek tragedy and the Aristotelian unities. Titus Andronicus, which is probably his bloodiest play, is a farce, and a pisstake of Marlowe. Antony & Cleopatra is a romance. Hamlet is a revenge tragedy, but changes genres with almost every scene. And then there's Cymbeline, which (to Johnson's dismay) changes historical period with every scene, while savagely satirising Shakespeare's earlier triumphs.
Then there are the problem plays - Merchant of Venice, Troilus & Cressida, Measure for Measure, All's Well That Ends Well - which occupy some odd point between comedy and tragedy - and the laughter often has an echo that is grim. (Is Merchant a comedy which ends with jokes about keeping Portia's ring safe, or the tragedy of *******, or both?)

But that's genius. No wonder the Romantics loved Shakespeare: it's the grotesque and the sublime, the mixing of genres, that make the plays so rich, and which, they thought, reflected the richness of life.

·
Banned
1,949 Posts
All I know is Mercutio is badass and a definite ENTP
and R&J are two of the most annoying characters in all of Shakespeare. Like seriously! seriously! you've known each other for like 2 seconds, take a breath and DONT kill yourselves... actually do, but do it in Act 1, save us all the pain of listening to your hormone fuelled soliloquies.. thanks
hahaha. i agree, but wasn't that shakespeare's point? don't kill yourselves over petty love. actually, hamlet was pretty annoying too.

·
Banned
1,949 Posts
Romeo is DEFINETLY not an ENFP. I would say INFP for sure. He is so emotional brooding over his love. He basically commits suicide over a girl. This is an INFP thing to do. He makes poems for her. It's a very INFP thing to do.

Everyone thinking Mercutio is an ENTP sends me into doubt either about my own personality type or his typing because I would type him as an ENFP. I can see myself being just like Mercutio.
Come on man cheer up! Come to this awesome party! you might meet a great girl you like!
Ughh! really, I'm fed up! I'm fighting this for you because you are so Incompetent!
I am so ****** upset at you two you stupid idiots! Go to ****!!! and then making some horrible pun to lighten to mood of my death.
I couldn't really see my ENTP friend going to such lengths for Romeo in the first place. My ENTP friend would just be like: You are depressed because you fell in love with some girl. You brought this on yourself, man. I'm not feeling sorry for you.

I have no clue on Juliet, I don't really care for her. She is probably a feeler whatever she is.
You can be like someone without them sharing your MBTI code. Having a T or F have nothing to do with being a good friend. In action movies the ISTP typed characters often go to ludicrous measures to save their friends....measures that put young Mercutio to shame.

Don't make this argument so feeling based. I can relate to my ESFP friend, that doesn't mean I'm an ESFP. We have different cognitive functions. The word cognition itself is the acquisition of knowledge through thought, understanding, experience, senses, and intuition. So cognitive functions dictate how you perceive the world, not how you express yourself externally. In actuality, when typing celebs--or in this case, book characters--we may have it all wrong since we will never know they way they actually perceive the world. Fictional characters technically cannot even perceive anything, unless the author permits them too. So typing them is mere fun and not meant to be taken too serious.

·
Registered
363 Posts

As an ENTP, I can have quite volatile moods, the same of which is true for my namesake. One must be careful not to mistake passion for Feeling (which, by the way, I am capable of having from time to time when it comes to friends)

I bite my thumb at thee

Reactions: Scarlet_Heart

·
Registered
293 Posts
Aren't Romeo & Juliet the same type? That's why they convinced themselves to have the same end with the same very Fi reasoning: us vs the world and death is the only solution.
Both INFPs imo.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts