Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Share your roommate experiences, the awesome and the awful. :)
I'm starting to tentatively consider getting an apartment. Probably not for another year or two at least but I know I have to move out some day. :p
I think the ideal room mate for me would be xNTP. Hilarous, flexible and completely unobtrusive. Doesn't get bent out of shape easy. I like communicating with xNTP's because I tend to share their likes, dislikes, sense of humor and just generally way of looking at things. They're probably my favorite types.
Type I could never live with? ESFJ. Stop touching my things, I like my mess the way it is, and I know you're really generous and just love to do things for people but just please god can you leave me alone and be quiet for a bit?
I think I'd do better with an introvert than an extrovert, and a P type would be good too. I think living with another INFP, though, might be a little overwhelming.
Thoughts? Types you see yourself most likely to be happy rooming with? Types aside, what qualities do you look for in a roommate? What ones do you hate?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm too antisocial to live with people, save for a select few. That being said, my best friend is moving in in a year.

I've lived with my SO for about 2 years and oh my god how many times I wish I lived alone. It's easier in so, so many ways. There's a shitton of bickering (constantly) about the way things are done, organizational methods, etc etc etc.

I can't really give qualities, since I really dislike being around people and I absolutely hate people moving things, etc etc. I value my privacy to a wild degree and having what will, in my mind, be some random stranger with the ability to go through everything on a whim.. lolno. Unless I'm incredibly close to you, I'd rather shoot myself in the foot than live together for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 6w7 9w1 so/sp
3,418 Posts
Best roommate is no roommate!

I can't really give qualities, since I really dislike being around people and I absolutely hate people moving things, etc etc. I value my privacy to a wild degree and having what will, in my mind, be some random stranger with the ability to go through everything on a whim.. lolno. Unless I'm incredibly close to you, I'd rather shoot myself in the foot than live together for an extended period of time.
Same here.

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
Can't do the roommates deal anymore.

Too many troubling experiences in my first year of university.

To hell with all that.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My roommate experience:

When: 1st year of university
How many: just 1
Type: INFP
Rating of experience: terrible!

Reason 1:
We shared a studio apartment, so just one room. He was a good friend for years and we started studying together, so we assumed that could be great. In the beginning it was nice, but it turned out to be more difficult than I thought quickly:
Both of us INFP. He was ALWAYS at home, would never leave the room except for class (which we had together). So whenever I needed time for myself I had to leave and go take a walk or so. I just wanted to have some time for myself in my own room but it wasn't possible. It was very painful for me since I'm a quite private person actually. Half way through the first year I was desperate to get my own room (which I eventually did).

Reason 2:
Whenever I was in the room, he would often check what I was doing and then he would be inspired to do the same thing. This was very annoying since I feel very uncomfortable when I know I'm being watched and I really dislike when people copy me all the time (strong enneagram 4 individualist here...).

Conclusion:
Roommates? DON'T!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Finding a good flatmate is way harder than finding a good friend. I've had a really good flatmate this year and I still kind of want to live on my own (although doing so in London is so bloody expensive :( )

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I've talked plenty about my roommate issues on here but thankfully I'm finally out of college and don't have to deal with that anymore. My first roommate was actually pretty awesome - a total hippie - until she unfortunately lost it a bit at the end of the year and had some kind of breakdown. She was never really the same after that and we don't talk anymore because I felt like she started using me for money and other things. I'm not sure what her type was. The roommate I lived with for three years after that was an ESTJ and the roommate from hell. She was a total slob, extremely controlling and manipulative, very jealous, and the nosiest and most obnoxious person I have ever met, among other things. She started getting paranoid and jealous that I was hanging out with people other than her in our last year together (though we were having problems long before that) and started accusing me of doing things, sending nasty text messages, etc. Needless to say I cut her out of my life completely and am very glad I did. I did end up making other friends (an INFJ and an INFP) who I basically lived with and adore and I think we would be great roommates. I definitely suggest living with another introvert, preferably with similar values and interests, so you can be sure you'll get enough alone time! Oh and don't live with a psycho. :p

·
Registered
347 Posts
I moved out and I live on my own. I don't think I would have it any other way, honestly. I love my freedom, quiet, space, and independence. But I think having another introverted roommate wouldn't be so bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts