Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am writing a webpage-book on my escape from insanity (literally) called "How to Escape Insanity" (easily Googled) and I am trying to utilize the Enneagram so my experience can be more easily translated for others. I was interested in energy sources. Is anyone familiar with the 'root sin' of the Enneagram giving you energy? These are related to the seven deadly sins of Christianity but have two more added.

The 'root sin' for Type 8 is lust

This is what I am writing:

Our energy source is our desire to rebel against the unfairness of the universe, and all the terrible people in it that have done things to us. It's the emotion of our internal rebellion. OK, that probably sounds pretty good so far. But now we get to the part that some of you will not like - the energy source is what we see as 'bad' about ourselves.

Don't think this is "what Jesus would do"? Think again. Just remember Jesus cursing the fig tree (anger), or whipping the money changers and overturning their tables (lust - the power kind), sitting in the desert doing nothing for 40 days (sloth), asking God why He had forsaken him (fear), telling a woman that just because she touched his cloak she was healed (pride), turning water into wine so the party could go on (gluttony), telling parables where the man who saved the most or made the most got the 'heavenly' reward (greed), telling a rich man it was easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to go to heaven and then walking it back once the man had left (deceit).

·
Banned
9 Posts
Lustfull. Ive gotten that more than a million times. Yes.

But Im very VERY retraced about it. It is extremely rare for someone to ever meet the full extent of that. Even in bed, or war.

And. The cloath thing is not pride. Its love masked as reason. To challenge to courage. From fear.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
how bout whatever the opposite of boredom is.

got back 1 week ago from a 3 week vacation to arizona then south america.

it was awesome, why does anybody live a 9-5 life.... man this sucks to be back. BOOORING.

i was reminded how sweet it is! being out there in the world.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I am not a Christian, but always enjoyed the bit with the moneychangers in the temple. Sometimes I think that if ... and this is basically my lil Fi talking, but bear with me... there were enough good and decent people out there who were not afraid to seize a whip and beat the hell out of people who deserved it, this would be a far, FAR better world.

My problem with people having the shit kicked out of them, at base, is only when people who don't deserve it get the shit kicked out of them. That makes for a WORSE world, and not a better one.

·
Banned
421 Posts
Is lust more dominant in E8s than anger is? They are the most openly angry enneatype to my knowledge but E1 gets it as their root sin. Are 8s or 1s angrier?

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Is lust more dominant in E8s than anger is? They are the most openly angry enneatype to my knowledge but E1 gets it as their root sin. Are 8s or 1s angrier?
Good question. 1s, of course. 8s are an all-aggressive personality style. Aggression and anger are different. Aggression pertains to invasion. 8 Lust means an excessive desire for power territory and violence. Anger on the other hand pertains to avenging past wrongs (perceived wrongs). 1s are constantly stewing in anger...Unresolved anger in Ones turns to hate (Wrath). 8s otoh enjoy prevailing over others in the rough and tumble and being feared...to that extent "angry" behaviors like violence and bullying can be and is utilized as a tool of the trade in the game of psychological warfare, as part of the intimidation process intended to bend others to one's will. ..its business, not personal.

Given that Eights are fundamentally out of touch with vulnerability, it's a mistake to assume that there's any substance to the expression of anger but rather, the behaviors you'd be seeing are underscored by an excessively self-interested, empty and instinctively calculative power drive. The eight could easily switch from "angry" to "charming" in a split second if the eight perceived that prevailing over the situation required an immediate change in tactics. Eights are always outside of "humanness" and won't persist in a course if to do so equals weakness.

With 1s, Anger pertains to avenging past wrongs (perceived wrongs). 1s are constantly stewing in anger...Unresolved anger in Ones turns to hate (Wrath). Its personal for ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts