Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate it. I can't stand the monotony of doing practically the same thing each day. others may enjoy the rigid structure and the feeling of stability that comes with that. I say to hell with stability I want variety and variables. Basically I think routines are for boring people. Do you have one? Or do you or hate them?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I seem to get trapped in routine and habits. When I'm in a routine, it feels like I'm in autopilot and nowhere near the present moment. This seems to be the time that I'm most apt to delve into my mind and thoughts.

I feel like I come alive when I'm visiting a new city. Things are fresh and my senses are awakened. I'd even go as far as to say I turn into a temporary extrovert. Unfortunately, it doesn't last long as things become familiar and mundane again.

·
Registered
672 Posts
My worklife - unfortunately - does have a routine and deadlines which probably makes it sound like hell on earth for the standard INTP. Fortunately, I have a certain amount of control of what I do and when - I'm a sorta supervisor, so I try and pick tasks that I know the others either cannot do or can't do as quickly as I can. They tend to be the most interesting.

Weekends and holidays are heaven when I can do what the hell I please when the hell I please, apart from Saturday mornings which is always shopping. Although a chore I actually prefer to do it at my own pace and on my own, although having an extra pair of arms in the form of my OH is great, he just wants to rush me.

Reactions: wafflecake

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Routines - Hate em, but try daily to foster them and I prey some may stick. I fail almost always. I think structure is one of the only real differences between the homeless and the wealthy. Until I win the lottery I am forced to conform.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
I think INTPs live to conquer the unknown. After it's been conquered, there's no fun to it any more. That's why we tend not to stick with hobbies for all that long. A routine is the antithesis of this attitude.

Personally, I get angry when I shower because I know I just did it yesterday. I can't stand folding laundry and doing dishes brings my blood pressure up. Yup. No love for routine here.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I try to adhere to routines and schedules but cannot keep it up for long. My J-ness seems to be best manifested in wanting to complete whatever it is I have started. SJs are way better at doing same things over and over again. Depending on context it can be a positive thing, like driving kids to school at 8am in the morning every day. This kind of routine makes all the sense to strictly follow, but I am sure any SJ suffers much less from it than I would.

·
Registered
ESFJ
642 Posts
I've tried to make routines but rarely follow them. That being said, I do have a vague routine in that my sleeping/waking and eating times are at nearly the same time each day.

Btw, I'm picky about my alarm clock. I've been known to smash them into the floor (I seem to get ones that won't shut off o_O).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Routines. Hate 'em. Yes, they're nice for awhile, but then they get boring and monotonous. Switching things up every once in awhile is fun. C:

·
Registered
40 Posts
ive got a real problem with motivation and i've recently been told that even with poor motivation and a bad attitude that a schedule, or a routine, can really help with that. it becomes a "time to do this" instead of "do i feel like doing this?"

but that's not what you're talking about, is it? but having a routine and doing the same thing day in day out doesnt excite me either. a desk job does not do it for me and i feel physical pain when i think about it. its one of the reasons i want to get into the film business. you end up doing the same job all the time, but its always changing. plus explosions, gunfire, and nude scenes... rawr!

but, sadly, in the end, life is a routine. there will always be things that you need to do in order to continue living the way you want. do you want a clean home? do you want a happy life partner? if you have kids, do you want them to be happy and healthy? and what about video games and sports? in the end you do the same things over and over again. its inescapable.

Reactions: nothingnew

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw construction workers redoing curbs one piece after another and immediately I wanted to crash my car into something highly explosive.
Haha, yeah I cam imagine, laying down boring pieces of dull grey lifeless material one by one, until they're fixed there for all eternity.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Everything I do is habitual. Having said that it's more a matter of survival than desire. I am likely the most absent minded person you'll ever come across. I do things in a routine in order not to forget them. When I get up in the morning I do everything in the same order every day. If I don't the dog would starve, I could possibly go to work without my wallet, run out of gas on the way there and go hungry at lunch. Yes, I am boring and I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I hate routines. Maybe that explains why I've tried and abandoned a dozen of hobbies in the last five years. But I'm also an expert in procrastinating, hence constantly stuck in the monotonous day-to-days. It's a vicious cycle. :tongue:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've tried to like routine, atleast enough to keep the flat tidy and do the washing up every day, but it's so mindnumbingly boring!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think the reason I don't like routine is that I can never stick to a schedule. I don't like the way it makes me feel plus my sleep habits are crazy and I never know if I'm going to be awake in time or have enough energy to do the same thing everyday

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've tried to make routines but rarely follow them. That being said, I do have a vague routine in that my sleeping/waking and eating times are at nearly the same time each day.

Btw, I'm picky about my alarm clock. I've been known to smash them into the floor (I seem to get ones that won't shut off o_O).
That's amazing. To hell with appliances!

I agree that we tend to get bored with things that we have already figured out, which does explain our differing hobbies, but I don't get mad when I have to do the dishes, I get frustrated becuase I prefer to sit on my lazy ass all day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Everything I do is habitual. Having said that it's more a matter of survival than desire. I am likely the most absent minded person you'll ever come across. I do things in a routine in order not to forget them. When I get up in the morning I do everything in the same order every day. If I don't the dog would starve, I could possibly go to work without my wallet, run out of gas on the way there and go hungry at lunch. Yes, I am boring and I'm ok with that.
This describes me perfectly. I am so absent-minded that I MUST do things in a specific order each day or I will forget them. It's the only way I can manage to make it through the day without screwing stuff up. All my stuff gets put in the same place every day, I use the same tupperware containers for my lunch so that I know exactly where they are (I wash them in the morning to reuse), my keys and wallet are in the same location, all my shirts, slacks and ties are in the same location with my belts and shoes. And, like LostInMyOwnMind, I am boring and okay with it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts