Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being analytical, we notice the flaws and errors made in a persons activities and beliefs. I notice that when a popular idea is evident in certain individuals, I point out the logical or political incorrectness that shows in what ideology they hold on to, by this I mean common myths and rumors and stereotypes.

They happily engage in talking about these, boosting their belief in them... However, enter moi.. I spill out evidence and a series of examples that contradict and disprove what they are so willing to manifest. At first they may be strictly defensive of their views, but over time, with my persistence for proving facts, they soon come to realize the falsities in their views. Then becoming frustrated and exclaiming that I ruined the good nature of their previous state of mind, believing what they had been before. It seems my correct information brings more frowns than smiles.

They say ignorance is bliss... Similar stories?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Can relate. I should stop myself before the words "Well, actually..." ever come out of my mouth.
I use those words all the time. :unsure: I do try not to correct everyone every time I hear an error, but it is just so hard. After all, if people are using words incorrectly or citing incorrect data, their argument isn't as strong, right? I'm helping them!

Sigh...

·
Registered
142 Posts
I too see where the line is drawn, but I generally never cross it. When ever I see flaws in what someone says, and is about to correct them, I usually think to myself "what's the point of ruining their fun(ignorance)? What am I getting out of it? Is it worth it?" And I usually stop and everyone's happy-go-lucky.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If it's something important then yes I always like to mention the flaws I see that most people don't seem to be able to see. However, for a lot of other things, I'm a big believer that you learn by failing. So even if I know someone is going to fail at something, I'll let them fail, that way they learn. I know that if I try to just prove them wrong it'll become an issue and I'll be the jerk who ruined it. At least by letting them fail I get to be there for them later and give them opinion on what can be fixed.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't believe ignorance is bliss. It's contentment, more or less, or a detachment from reality. I don't find one can achieve feeling blissful without knowing the reality behind the feelings. Reality is often depressing but in comprehending it you're more likely to discover the opposite end of the spectrum. Logically speaking, you're doing them a favor in telling them. Whether they chose to accept it or not shows how ignorant they are.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I remember once in school this year (Mind you I'm in a Scientific Scholarship so the people in my class tend to be very smart and often have open discussions) I overheard a talk about religion and I joined in. I don't quite remember what the discussion was about, I just know that being an Atheist I eventually got questioned about my own views and beliefs and at some point I pointed out the things that some Americans (mostly from Fundies say the Darndest Things) say that make me laugh, like saying that Hitler was an Atheist when he is in fact Catholic (A teacher got into the discussion and corrected me, he was in fact Protestant by what she says but more on that later)

Like many of the older INTPs here know there is always that one guy back in your school days who just didn't like you at all. In my case it was this one guy who tries (and fails) to make fun of me because I don't exactly fit in at school. (I usually dress in black, wear T-Shirts from Metal Bands, I got a bracelet with studs on it, y'know. But I still look pretty normal, no crazy hairdoos or anything. My choice in music ranges from Heavy Metal, Punk and Classic Rock to Jazz and Classic, but he likes to focus on the fact some of the bands I listen are rather hardcore like Lamb of God) Anyway, he walked in when I said that Hitler was Catholic, and he was extremely angry and insulted in how I could say that because a Catholic could never be as Evil as Hitler was. Here I entered a debate on how religion can't define someone's moral values since I see my moral values superior to those of the Catholic God (If you commit a crime, even if it's not loving him you burn in a fiery pit for all of eternity) and by pointing out on how what the Spanish Inquisition did was no different from what Hitler did, though the discussion was cut short because the teacher arrived and decided to actually host the debate in the class because she thought the topic was interesting. She actually took a liking to me because I mentioned some quotes from Mein Kampf about his mentions of 'a creator' (I read bits of it once out of mere interest, still think any type of racism is wrong and quite frankly I stopped halfway) but eventually as posted above she corrected me by pointing out he was Protestant and not Catholic. As far as I could see my point had been proven, Religion doesn't define your morality (And from my point of view Catholic or Protestant is pretty much the same). And this discussion was particularly hard because the other party either shouted out nonsense or started making noises because he had nothing better to add. However all he cared about was that I was wrong when I called Hitler a Catholic and apparently learned nothing from the discussion at all while I wasted my time trying to impart some knowledge on an unfit mind.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I get attacked and ganged up on. So I shut up. Don't care that much about them and their levels of ignorance to begin with. Let them stew in it.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Then becoming frustrated and exclaiming that I ruined the good nature of their previous state of mind, believing what they had been before. It seems my correct information brings more frowns than smiles.
Don't beat yourself up too bad for ruining their fallacy, I have found many will return to the same belief in short time. The belief itself is often more important than excepting the truth.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I get attacked and ganged up on. So I shut up. Don't care that much about them and their levels of ignorance to begin with. Let them stew in it.
maybe the problem is how youre putting your information across?

if you enter into a discussion and MAKE it about you vs me, wrong vs right, then people will always get annoyed and defend their ideas. because in this case if they are found wrong they lose face.

i try and keep it in my head that i am always sharing and teaching (and vice versa, them with me) and never arguing.

·
Registered
729 Posts
maybe the problem is how youre putting your information across?

if you enter into a discussion and MAKE it about you vs me, wrong vs right, then people will always get annoyed and defend their ideas. because in this case if they are found wrong they lose face.

i try and keep it in my head that i am always sharing and teaching (and vice versa, them with me) and never arguing.
I usually just say 'that's not really true because...' or something will say something and I'll point out that it's either inaccurate or completely false or outdated or whatever. And they get annoyed or pissed. I'm just not someone who puts up very well with having my ideas and knowledge thrown out as invalid.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
"First of all, Papa Smurf didn't create Smurfette. Gargamel did. She was sent in as Gargamel's evil spy with the intention of destroying the Smurf village. But the overwhelming goodness of the Smurf way of life transformed her. And as for the whole gang-bang scenario, it just couldn't happen. Smurfs are asexual. They don't even have... reproductive organs under those little, white pants."

I like to point out logical inconsistencies in stupid discussions. Those provide the funniest debates.

Here I entered a debate on how religion can't define someone's moral values since I see my moral values superior to those of the Catholic God
Even if you made it clear that it was only your opinion, that wasn't a smart thing to say. If you disrespect your opponent, you can't expect him to listen to what you have to say afterwards.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Even if you made it clear that it was only your opinion, that wasn't a smart thing to say. If you disrespect your opponent, you can't expect him to listen to what you have to say afterwards.
Perhaps, but this is a guy who disrespects me daily so I couldn't really be bothered with being gentle, mainly when he barged in on the discussion we were having as a group shouting because he thought I had personally insulted him by stating Hitler was Catholic. That point was also one I made later on, I started by speaking about the Spanish Inquisition rather than by stating my morality is better than that we see in God from the Bible. Though my arguments were in fact so convincing that the other people involved in the discussion actually took my side and helped me defend my point of view.

He on the other hand would personally attack me rather than defending his point of view which was what led me to point that out later into the conversation.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Everyone always says it's not important, and you should just let people have their fun. It doesn't make a difference to my life if they're wrong. I see the line. I know the line is better left uncrossed.

But why would I not correct them?

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I rarely point out flaws in someone's logic because I don't know until I sit on it for a while, and if I start to argue I'll just back myself into a corner. So I usually let someone have their fun unless it's over the top and someone is unreasonably happy which is totally uncalled for.

Mispronunciations are probably the one thing I'll call someone out on. I suspect one of my friends mispronounces words on purpose because he knows it pisses me the shit off. I've already complained about someone else repeatedly pronouncing miscellaneous "missssKellaneous," and it ages me 11 years every time I hear it. I'm now 475 years old.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I often find flaws in people's logic simply by arguing with them. It probably isn't a healthy pastime, and it usually wins me more enemies than friends, but that doesn't bother me. I usually mention something slightly controversial that I know the other person has strong views in, and proceed to determine what exactly those views are. Then I hint at being on the opposite end of the issue (not actually openly arguing against the person, just providing points that could challenge their claims) and see what happens. It doesn't really matter that I believe what I'm arguing or not, but I can usually get a good discussion out of it.

Once the other person is red-faced and shouting, however, I usually stop. Usually.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I find flaws in people's arguments and discussions all the time. Sitting in classroom while the peeps behind me are discussing something and my mind says "that's not entirely true, they are not considering..." but by now I've realized that people often make these conversations just for the sake of conversing and not in order to understand, so I keep my trap shut, unless I'm the one being spoken to.

"First of all, Papa Smurf didn't create Smurfette. Gargamel did. She was sent in as Gargamel's evil spy with the intention of destroying the Smurf village. But the overwhelming goodness of the Smurf way of life transformed her. And as for the whole gang-bang scenario, it just couldn't happen. Smurfs are asexual. They don't even have... reproductive organs under those little, white pants."

Donnie Darko reference noted.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I sometimes have a need to bottom-line things. Take weightloss: I know what works, but some people are not receptive to effective solutions. Instead of efficiency and results, they want to indulge in whatever is present in the social spheres and media. They want to want to lose weight, so they are only open to half-hearted measures and fad-diets. So too with other things. I have a tendency to present facts and solutions with the intended goal of efficiency and clarity. A lot of other people are more interested in the social interaction surrounding various issues than actually finding the truth of the matter, and when I present the bottom line the discussion is over, the fun is over. In the interest of social harmony I sometimes forgo fact presentation and instead use language and ideas adapted to the other persons psyche or social reality, with only subtle hints of truth and fact.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Being analytical, we notice the flaws and errors made in a persons activities and beliefs. I notice that when a popular idea is evident in certain individuals, I point out the logical or political incorrectness that shows in what ideology they hold on to, by this I mean common myths and rumors and stereotypes.

They happily engage in talking about these, boosting their belief in them... However, enter moi.. I spill out evidence and a series of examples that contradict and disprove what they are so willing to manifest. At first they may be strictly defensive of their views, but over time, with my persistence for proving facts, they soon come to realize the falsities in their views. Then becoming frustrated and exclaiming that I ruined the good nature of their previous state of mind, believing what they had been before. It seems my correct information brings more frowns than smiles.

They say ignorance is bliss... Similar stories?
I find about 90% of people are being ignorant....so it doesn't matter what facts you give them, they will ignore those also, you can give them the proof in 5 different forms and they will still just ignore the real fact of the matter.

But yeah in that 10%, i have a very happy (the world is happy and fluffy) friend, and am always told i ruin her ideals she holds on the world

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
If people can't handle hearing facts that contradict their notions, then maybe they should just never join debates or go on the internet?

I don't have a lot of pity for people who cling to stereotypes and other sloppy thinking. Some people have clearly never questioned what they've been told. Those people are bound to bump into facts sooner or later. No need to walk on eggshells.

I tend to assume people want to know the truth or at least work toward knowing it, but most people clearly don't...comforting lies are what most people cling to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts