Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or what other people think you live by.

These are the "ten commandments" of my life.
1) Don't(let people catch you) sing or dance.
2) Don't spend money you do not have.
3) Give your all at everything, no halfassed jobs.
4) Take it apart.
5) Put it back together.
6) Avoid clubs, parties, etc.
7) Be there early.
8) Free time means you need something to do.
9) Think.
10) Don't waste money to have someone else do something you could do at the same or better quality.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
11. Don't allow other people to get away with being rude (whether it's to you or someone else).

This happened not even ten minutes ago, and it kind of ticked me off:

I went to the gas station to get some soda (I'm REALLY needing caffeine ATM since I'm working on a group project for school that's due Sunday night, except no one else is working on it except for me, and I've already sent a really snarky letter to the group [basically consisting of "I've warned you several times; I refuse to post anything to the group anymore. If you still want to contribute, notify me within the next two days and I'll email you what I have; otherwise, take the F in the class as far as I'm concerned."]) and was standing in line when a younger couple got in line behind me; the girl started talking "randomly" to her male companion, about how "this girl at school has about 20 piercings, and I really wanted to ask her if they hurt, and why she got so many piercings, and isn't that kind of weird? ..... blah, blah, blah". Give me a break. She was talking to her companion about ME but instead of asking me about it directly, she chose to frame it in some story, which may or may not have been factually accurate. I finally had enough of her game and turned around to face her directly. I then replied, "Since you wouldn't ask me directly, the answer to your question is no." The young man replied, "Oh! I didn't even notice that you had a bunch of piercings!" (... he probably didn't, in all honesty.) The girl, on the other hand, turned beet red and was obviously mortified. While I don't relish embarrassing people publicly, at the same time, don't make stupid and rude remarks and try to couch them in another fashion, because I will call you out on it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Or what other people think you live by.

7) Be there early.
10) Don't waste money to have someone else do something you could do at the same or better quality.
I emphatically agree with 1, 2 and 3.
I agree with 6 insofar as avoiding the raucous sort of party where you can't hear yourself think and you don't know anyone (this applies to most clubs), but bring on the parties with a small group of close friends~
I would change 7 to "Be on time." In Germany, being early or late shows poor time management. But given a choice between early and late, I would choose early.
10 shows true DIY spirit! I would only do this if I was confident in my ability to do a comparable job (for example,doing all the maintenance on my motorbike). And I mostly get this attitude from my ISTP Dad.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Oh, and regarding #3 ... to reiterate from my previous post, I've been working on a group project, except no one else is contributing. This is unacceptable. I refuse to do a halfassed job, even if it means I have to do everything myself in order to receive a good grade on it (it's worth an entire letter grade in the class). To that end, out of sheer frustration, I sent a final email to the other members of the group:

Is anyone else from the group actually still reading these messages besides myself? It's now Tuesday and we have less than a week to go. I reviewed the written report guidelines and altered the formatting of the report accordingly. If anyone else is actually still working on this report, contact me and I will share this new formatting with you via private email. I will no longer be using "messages" or "file exchange", as I refuse to allow others to take improper credit for my work and efforts.

Additionally, if I don't hear from you within the next couple of days or so, I'll be forced to assume that you are no longer interested in contributing to the report, and therefore, do not wish to receive a passing grade on the report.

In other words, when I submit the report, if you fail to contribute, your name will not be included on the report, and you will have no one to blame but yourself when you are forced to retake this class.

THIS is an instance where I could be accused by other types of having ice for blood. The other group members are no longer my concern, as I've already written them off in my head and committed to doing the project by myself.

·
Registered
421 Posts
7) Be there early.
8) Free time means you need something to do.
9) Think.
Can definitely identify with 1) :tongue:
I love to sing and be silly / dance randomly in the privacy of my own home. I'd be absolutely mortified if someone caught me doing it though.

I usually obey rule 3) except for circumstances where a cost-benefit analysis shows that one 'project' has to be compromised for another more important one

6)
Clubs = Deafness and I like being able to hear ^^
Parties = Drunk people who are boring (though there are some cases where they are amusing) + Pointless sitting around (though these don't apply at small parties with close friends which in my opinion are the only parties worth going to)

7) I strive to be early but when it isn't 'essential' I find that the need for sleep / 'snooze button spamming' wins the day

8) Oh definitely. There's something wrong if I have nothing to do.

9) + over-analyse things

Other rules I'd add is:

A) Don't ask me for my opinion if you want me to lie or sugar coat the truth

B) Deflect invasion of personal space at all times
e.g. *subtle shuffling away* or pre-attack defensive measures such as sitting a reasonable distance away.
Now, if only there was some way to create a psychological 'Do Not Hug Me' signal

C) Double..Triple..Quadruple proof-read everything before submitting (this includes forum posts :crazy:)

Oh, and regarding #3 ... to reiterate from my previous post, I've been working on a group project, except no one else is contributing. This is unacceptable. I refuse to do a halfassed job, even if it means I have to do everything myself in order to receive a good grade on it (it's worth an entire letter grade in the class).

THIS is an instance where I could be accused by other types of having ice for blood.
You tell 'em Sela! This is exactly what I'd do if I was in your situation. I don't see it as being cold blooded at all. I absolutely detest free-riders. You're also doing them a favour. If they were allowed to free-ride throughout their whole course then when they actually get a job they are going to epically fail at it and get called out for not knowing anything.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Everyone has their own rules of guidelines do things. Yet, i think everyone's has changed at one time or another.

Avoid clubs, parties, etc.
In the last few years i have been out and had a few drinks (being responsible no driving for me) with a few friends. It matters on who is going and the circumstances.

Give your all at everything, no halfassed jobs.
Agree with this on the most part, i would rather say fulfill what is needed of you, and let others handle their responsibilities.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
1) Assume the best in people

2) See the bright side of things

3) Listen rather than speak

4) Praise rather than criticize

5) Eat good food, get lots of sleep

#5 in particular makes me a happy person. :tongue:

·
Registered
421 Posts
2) See the bright side of things

3) Listen rather than speak

4) Praise rather than criticize

5) Eat good food, get lots of sleep

#5 in particular makes me a happy person. :tongue:
I definitely try my best to follow 2)

3) That normally happens simply because I'm normally the quiet one (when not with close friends). I do sometimes wish I didn't just sit there being silent though.

4) I don't criticize, but I always forget to praise people simply because I expect them to have the same high standards as me, something I only recently noticed after doing some reading on ISTJs :frustrating:

5) Most definitely. Though for me Sleep > Food

·
Registered
244 Posts
1. Live life with a clear conscience.
2. (For the most part) Treat people how you wish to be treated.
3. Strive to do your best.
4. Be patient.
5. Be "... swift to listen, slow to speak, slow to wrath"
6. Persevere through difficulties.
7. Use your strengths/gifts to strengthen others.
8. "Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's and to God the things that are God's".
9. Think and plan thoughtfully, thoroughly and carefully.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Here are my ten commandments.

1) Thou shalt invest at least 20% of thine income for investment/savings.
2) Thou shalt not rack up shopping debts unless necessary, and planned out accordingly.
3) Thou shalt not dance in public, for be found in an alcoholic stupor (drunk at parties)
4) Thou shalt have good hygiene. No exceptions.
5) Thou shalt be early forever and ever. And ever
6) Thou shalt not half ass your jobs.
7) Thou shalt use good judgment in decisions.
8) Thou shalt not waste time, and only purse hobbies that are enjoyable.
9) Thou shalt present themselves in a respectable manner at all times.
10) Thou shalt follow the nine commandments above without exception.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts