Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I think about my aspirations and long-term goals, I become more and more convinced that I won't be happy or satisfied in life unless I am able to build and run a fairly large, successful business. I'm working on my degrees right now, but after I finish in a couple of years I plan to move and try to make it happen. I don't have to tell you that this is pretty contrary to what it means to be an INFP. It's definitely a contradiction of sorts... I'm trying to reconcile my own personal tendencies and preferences with the idea of taking charge and creating a company from scratch. I'm pretty confident that it's something I can do, but I know it will also take a lot more effort from me than it would from a person with a personality type better-suited to the business world. (I swear that wasn't supposed to be a pun!)

Am I crazy to try? Have any of you INFPs been bitten by the entrepreneurial bug at any point, or have you worked in a position of authority (upper management, CEO, etc) at a company? Any advice?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I do a business degree.
I often think of starting my own company, running it the way I want to!

While working at my local Supermarket, I often see the hypocrisy and pointlessness of many of the procedures in that place.
I would want to nurture the people that work for me, to try to provide them with what they need, what they earn/deserve.

I want warmth, honesty, fairness, long-term sustainability in my company.
I guess in some ways, I want to be a revolutionary! XD

But. I digress, I currently do not have the means to start such a company. I need the money, the infrastructure to create a business.

(Though should I persue my dream of running a video game business, I'd probably start solo for a few years to start, maybe even just work on some free projects on the side of a regular job to build up my skills and get some good PR with people. Then, once I make something moderately successful, I'll move on to step 2. to get a crew and make more ambitious projects! :D)
(Tis a pipe dream at the moment, because I need so much to make it work. I need to learn some coding, I need to create art, but most importantly I need the patience and focus to create something in the long-term, something of which I currently lack...)

·
Registered
595 Posts
I always think about how easy it is to make a business.
They're everywhere selling their shitty clothes and food and music.
I can't be bothered with it though and it will be harder than I've given credit for and require money. If I'd make it business it would be to make money, but if I had money I wouldn't need a business and Id be happy because I want it simple, but you can't have simple :/

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
We can definitely run a business. Being arrogant is something I agree with, but you need to use that when you know your things, not when you're practising ideas and such.

Try googling "transformative business strategy" and "organic growth", I believe those 2 match infp's quite well.

Reactions: _nat

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
You will work 16 hour days, essentially pay yourself below minimum wage, you'll struggle having thoughts that you cannot relate to your business, and you will find that no one will truly have a vision for this venture like you do -- which means you're basically all on your own... and it will be the most fulfilling type of work you can do.

For myself, I really cashed in during the boom of the internet while I was in my teens. That first month I worked my ass off, obsessed over it, and at the end of the month my first paycheque was $20. Strangely, it was the most meaningful cheque I ever received in my life and when I started pulling in 10x that, 50x that, 100x, 200x none of them had that appeal as that first cheque. It was great and I remember just having so many opportunities available to me, people trying to partner up. Hell, I remember having to turn down a large offer because I couldn't sign contracts at my age, and so fourth. Soo many twists and turns throughout that journey and it's ridiculous what I learned from it.

Honestly, I've had all sorts of degrees and 'life changing' moments in my life, but I never grew as much as I did when I was my own boss. I would recommend it to anyone with enough drive to follow through with it.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
To run a successful business you need to be arrogant or hire someone who is.
You need someone confident enough that believes in the product you're promoting, I don't think it has nothing to do with arrogance. People who are arrogant can only go so far as an entrepreneur because eventually customers will realize how of a jerk he/she's being and will rather make business with someone else.

Reactions: _nat

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
You're not crazy. It is my long-term goal to actually run a medical office with a doctor someday. To achieve it I'm going back to school in January for my AA in Health Care Administration. What's cool about that degree is I'll have it in 10 months. :cool: Then since I'll already be working at an office, I could just move up the ranks in my current office. Baby steps... :)

Reactions: Lad and _nat

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I have an idea right now that can earn tons and I don't know how to start :crazy:.

It's too simple and no one thought about it. Or they did, but they don't see it the way I see it so it's not working. I talked to a few people I trust and they kind of see the potential but not in a way I do. What do I do? It even hardly costs anything to test it out.

Reactions: Lad

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I have an idea right now that can earn tons and I don't know how to start :crazy:.

It's too simple and no one thought about it. Or they did, but they don't see it the way I see it so it's not working. I talked to a few people I trust and they kind of see the potential but not in a way I do. What do I do? It even hardly costs anything to test it out.
Well, what sends a red flag straight up when I read that is that you say they see the potential, but not quite in the same way that you do. I'm a huge believer in the power of marketing, not only in these types of business ventures, but also in the form of presentation and expression of ideas. I would work on learning how to send a compelling message that people would just eat right up. From my experience, if you can make your idea become their idea (they visualize it in their heads and start creating scenarios + suggestions) then I think you're right on the money.

Take a look at Apple for example, they are a marketing company first and foremost, with everything else being secondary. How much bank are they sitting on right now? 90 billion dollars or something? In terms of market share, Android is slaughtering the iPhone, but Apple controls something like 70% of the profits of overall smartphone sales. That's ONE company controlling the premium market while names like Microsoft, Motorola, Google, Samsung, Nokia, HTC, etc are fighting each other for scraps.

If I were you, refine your pitch and go from there.

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
Entrepreneurs are at the mercy of their clients, suppliers, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts