Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I had the random idea of trying to start and run a charity recently and it probably won't go far but I'd like to ask all the same if any of you have experience of running a charity that you could share on here?

Thankyou :D

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Closest thing I've done is fundraising for a number of charities.
I did one for Kiva.org as a personal venture, but that's not necessarily a charity per-se, instead it's a a temporary loan service to people from impoverished companies. The idea is that you can recycle donations and it cycles around to people and essentially helps stimulate the economy. The money I made from this was entirely through online avenues such as streaming video and using banner ads on websites.

Outside of that, just basic fundraising for breast cancer, HIV, and a meals on wheels sort of program, all in-person. For the HIV one, I actually ended up attending a sex event called "Taboo," but we surprisingly made out with +$2000.

What type of charity were you thinking of?

·
Banned
1,833 Posts
You would need to either know the ins and outs of grant writing or hire someone who does, you would also need to know about fundraising and have a transparent system for the allocation of the funds acquired. A lot of non-profits derive a large portion of their income from governmental and private grants and the rest from donations/philanthropists. Occasionally they have for-profit income-generating projects too, selling things, providing space within their buildings to derive rent money, etc. Unfortunately none of these things are guaranteed income, and it's common for employees of non-profits to live year to year not knowing whether they'll have a job for the next year. That said, the world needs more charities and I think that it's a great and noble endeavor. I'd recommend you read up on it and set up lunch meetings with people already working with non-profits to get some insight and ideas. Also make sure before you start your charity that it doesn't already exist. If it already exists, you can save yourself a lot of hassle by just volunteering or finding a position there. I worked with a non-profit NGO so if you have any more questions, I might be able to help a bit.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think INFPs are better at coming up with reasons to start a non-profit than actually starting or managing one haha. I don't know about the rest of you folks but I AM NOT an administrative type. I've done grant writing before and wouldn't mind helping with the promotional/marketing side of things but applying for non-profit status, getting a board of directors together, finding a non-profit sponsor (to accept donations on your behalf while the iRS decides whether or not you are non-profit), organizing fundraising events, and all the other stuff that goes along with starting a non-profit doesn't appeal to me.

Just a thought... it seems like INFPs would be the best people to have money (they'd make the biggest difference), yet I strongly suspect that most of us (myself included) are a long, long way from even being "wealthy". I guess that's because, in order to become rich, you always have to focus on money more than people - something we can't generally force ourselves to do. I apologize for the generalization if doesn't strike you as the truth ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Found these two babies in my neighborhood may be someone left them out there because they couldn't manage taking care of them. They looked friendly and lost and I wouldn't leave them out. So I came back home with them but I need food for them and need to go visit the vet. Any help is welcome

1 - 5 of 5 Posts