Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope there's not already a thread like this.

What songs do you like to run to? Steady pace? Fast-paced? Hardcore? Dance? Hip-Hop? Ambient?

Which genre/artists do you usually listen to and what effect does it have on your running?

Do you mix it up depending on the distance?

What is on your current playlist right now?

If you don't listen to any music at all, perhaps you'd like to share why.

Feel free to share as much information as you want, and leave recommendations if you wish.

Happy running :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I find Azealia Banks' Fantasea mixtape to be a really great steady-state running soundtrack. I have purchased a couple of the ministry of Sound Running Trax and find that they get me pretty amped up and I tend to run faster. I also like them because I can use them for general workouts as well. It's funny actually, on Running Trax Gold the "walking" disc gets me more pumped than the "Jogging" or "Running" disc...

I find having new music gives me another reason to go for a run on the days that I don't necessarily feel like running. I reason with myself - 'if I go for this run, it's a perfect opportunity to listen to all this new music I just acquired.'

So, yeah. Azealia Banks.. um, who else. I can't really think at the moment. Oh yeah, the Hanna soundtrack by the Chemical Brothers is also really cool to listen to. In fact, the majority of songs are a bit more ambient and lack a steady beat, but then they throw in a fast-paced dance beat and the whole effect draws me in and takes my mind off of things. It's a great balance between focusing on your technique and the physical element of the exercise and also being able to distract yourself by the time the next track comes around.

I used to listen to a lot of hardcore and reasonably heavy rock and that was quite effective at keeping my mind off the physical discomfort, but I haven't listened to much of that for a while. This week though, it's Justin Timberlake's Mirrors (mainly because it gets 8 minutes of the run out of the way in one hit, and it's a great song in general) and also a song by Andy Bull, which is aptly titled 'Keep on Running.'

Anyway, I could go on for days, but I'd rather hear from all of you instead.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Very much depends on my mood and when I run. If it's very early in the morning, around dawn or so, I listen to just some classical music, or just a simple piano. It's very relaxing, and strangely enough when you are out and running, you can still be mentally relaxed. In a trance kinda. Just you and the road.

However, if I am running at any other time I usually listen to some rather fast tempo metal music or techno. But it really comes down to what you enjoy listening to, I feel. If you fucking love classical music, then listen to that. Don't need any specifics :) But, here is my current two lists, anyway! Enjoy.

Also, all of those songs can be found on youtube, then you can just use a youtube2mp3 site to convert and download them to your computor :)

Dawn
Choplin - Nocturno
Comaduster -To hide to seek
Queen Adreena - Weeds
Carolina Wallin Pérez - Utan dina Andetag
Debussy - Claire de lune
Loke Nyberg - Dig som aldrig blev
David Lanz - Cristofori's dream
Apocalyptica - Faraway (instrumental)
Placebo - Running up that hill
Pink floyd - High hopes
Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata
schubert - Serenade
Folksong - När som jag var på mitt adertonde år
Telepopmusik - Breathe
Johan Strauss - Blue Danube waltz
WASP - The idol

Normal
David Dahora - Father Of Aesthetics
Mirwais - Disco Science ( omg running to this song <3)
WASP - Take me up
Arch Enemy - Revolution Begins
Oomph! - Gott ist ein popstar
Hadouken! - M.A.D
Showtek - Dutchie
Volbeat - Radiogirl
Naked - Black roses turn red
Atrix - Fire
Scientists - We had love
Neelix - Same thing but different
Black strobe - I'm a man
Skazi -Acelera
Combichrist - This shit will fuck you up
Blade - Vampire club theme
Benedictum - Beast in the field
Nightwish - Wish I had an angel
Mötley Crüe - Kickstart my heart
Global Deejays - Flashdance
Motörhead - Motörhead
AC/DC - Shoot to thrill
Paxi - Fixi (Deepforces remix)
Iggy pop - The passeger (Live at the avenue)
Queen - Don't stop me now
Three days grace - Riot
Volbeat - Sad man's tounge

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Most of the music I like to listen to while running has a fairly repetitive beat and isn't depressing. Those are really the only prerequisites for a running song for me. Although my fondness for self-referential humor also makes me like to use songs with titles or lyrics where the word "run" is prominently featured. Especially this one even though it may seem a little self-deprecating to listen to while running:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great suggestions!

@NeonBomb, in that case.. I have a feeling you might like this (if you haven't heard it already) :

I'm really into songs with minimal lyrics right now. These are a couple that are on rotation for me at the moment:

@Who, here's one aptly titled song for you ;):

Also:
As A Child - Lone
Hit 'Em - Sleepyhead
Dandelion Seed - Stay+
The Entirety of Crystal Castles album (III) from start to finish

Keep 'em coming! :happy:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very much depends on my mood and when I run. If it's very early in the morning, around dawn or so, I listen to just some classical music, or just a simple piano. It's very relaxing, and strangely enough when you are out and running, you can still be mentally relaxed. In a trance kinda. Just you and the road.

However, if I am running at any other time I usually listen to some rather fast tempo metal music or techno. But it really comes down to what you enjoy listening to, I feel. If you fucking love classical music, then listen to that. Don't need any specifics :) But, here is my current two lists, anyway! Enjoy.

Also, all of those songs can be found on youtube, then you can just use a youtube2mp3 site to convert and download them to your computor :)

Dawn
Choplin - Nocturno
Comaduster -To hide to seek
Queen Adreena - Weeds
Carolina Wallin Pérez - Utan dina Andetag
Debussy - Claire de lune
Loke Nyberg - Dig som aldrig blev
David Lanz - Cristofori's dream
Apocalyptica - Faraway (instrumental)
Placebo - Running up that hill
Pink floyd - High hopes
Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata
schubert - Serenade
Folksong - När som jag var på mitt adertonde år
Telepopmusik - Breathe
Johan Strauss - Blue Danube waltz
WASP - The idol

Normal
David Dahora - Father Of Aesthetics
Mirwais - Disco Science ( omg running to this song <3)
WASP - Take me up
Arch Enemy - Revolution Begins
Oomph! - Gott ist ein popstar
Hadouken! - M.A.D
Showtek - Dutchie
Volbeat - Radiogirl
Naked - Black roses turn red
Atrix - Fire
Scientists - We had love
Neelix - Same thing but different
Black strobe - I'm a man
Skazi -Acelera
Combichrist - This shit will fuck you up
Blade - Vampire club theme
Benedictum - Beast in the field
Nightwish - Wish I had an angel
Mötley Crüe - Kickstart my heart
Global Deejays - Flashdance
Motörhead - Motörhead
AC/DC - Shoot to thrill
Paxi - Fixi (Deepforces remix)
Iggy pop - The passeger (Live at the avenue)
Queen - Don't stop me now
Three days grace - Riot
Volbeat - Sad man's tounge

I'm actually going to try classical music on my next short run. I imagine that'd be a very different experience!

Thanks for that list, I'm gonna go check it out and amend my playlist before my next run :happy:

·
Registered
721 Posts
When I used to run, I burned a whole CD (that's how long ago it was) of military running cadences. It was very motivating for me. I'm a dork.

Reactions: wk05

·
Registered
260 Posts
Eurodance, electronica and anime music all the way! (Although I haven't gone jogging in ages.)

Reactions: wk05

·
Registered
990 Posts
Feel good stuff, but thats all I listen to anyway. Im kind of a thrill seeker fulltime. But I like Kimbra, I like Azealia too. I like Amy Winehouse, Pharrell and I guess other similar stuff though theres some random stuff on my iPod such as this one song I have called "Sumthin'" by an artist named Gramatik. The song is amazing but its the only song by that artist that I have.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Feel good stuff, but thats all I listen to anyway. Im kind of a thrill seeker fulltime. But I like Kimbra, I like Azealia too. I like Amy Winehouse, Pharrell and I guess other similar stuff though theres some random stuff on my iPod such as this one song I have called "Sumthin'" by an artist named Gramatik. The song is amazing but its the only song by that artist that I have.
Couldn't find 'Sumthin' on the program I sync my playlists to, but I added a few of their other songs. I dig. Thanks for the tip! ;)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Interestingly, though I was into long distance running for several years, beginning when I joined the military, I have never listened to music while running. I usually had some song playing in my head, probably something I had been listening to recently.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts