Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite my often short little sentences on this site, I am actually rather loud and obnoxious sometimes

I just got back to work last Monday (after being on medical leave for two months), and I have been put into a training class with a bunch of jokers

They all took to me like a house on fire since I tend to reciprocate the silliness, and most times everyone has a good laugh at my jokes

But when I come home I hate on myself over it because I feel like I'm being too disruptive, or my uncouth nature will result in getting fired (something I'm not sure I could handle mentally, especially right now)

So, as paranoia builds up again, I'm taking measures to prevent this

I've already isolated myself to the far back corner of the room so that I'm out of "ADD range" as I call it

And I bring a music player with me to block out sound (also, this helps organize my thoughts)

Overall, my goal is to say very little, but to be able to construct carefully made sentences as opposed to just blurting out the first thing on my mind

Does anyone have any tips?

Ready? Post is GO!!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Usually when I'm around people who comment or talk too much with some annoying behavior I have instant comebacks flash in my mind but instead of blurting them out and receiving a response I smile or make a face then move my attention to something else. This effectively cuts of any further communication.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I love joking around. It helps pass the time. Just be a little wary of what you say, unless you're sure no one will mind. Also, always be doing something while talking or you will probably get fired. I usually keep my comments short so as to not appear as a lazy ass.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I used to feel this way in social settings, and sometimes still do. At times I was justified in feeling that I had talked too much, but usually I wasn't. Whenever I talk to much, I wonder if I said something stupid, or if I offended anyone, or kept someone else from talking. Perhaps it's not the same thing you're talking about, but this is what your post reminded me of.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Today was better

I had my music player in and it kept my attention (for the most part)

I still cracked a joke once or twice, but no more so than anyone else

I kind of wish I could be in a room alone and left to study

Classrooms are too much distraction

·
Registered
30 Posts
Today was better

I had my music player in and it kept my attention (for the most part)

I still cracked a joke once or twice, but no more so than anyone else

I kind of wish I could be in a room alone and left to study

Classrooms are too much distraction
Just remember, INFJs usually love people...sometimes a bit too much. After our batteries are recharged in isolation we have the potential to be just as charismatic (and annoying) as the extroverts...I find that I keep my sometimes overly zealous mouth shut when I have my music....and the very next day I have no issues with talking. Ive gone days without speaking a word.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Perfect timing for this thread! I just came home having dinner with some friends, and I'm agonizing over whether or not I said something stupid/offensive during dinner. When I'm with two of these friends, I feel free to be myself, but this evening, another friend joined us unexpectedly. And, I think I offended him. I'm afraid to ask, but I would never want to upset anyone I care about. I guess I need to bite the bullet and e-mail him.

Reactions: Zomboy

·
Registered
60 Posts
I often have the same problem - when I'm comfortable I am often a little too open with my thoughts or sometimes I let my hyper side come through.

In your situation Zomboy, I think you're doing the right thing. Just cool it down a bit, but don't totally cap it. It's obvious you want to have fun too, and as long as you can keep it at a level you think is acceptable you should totally let yourself have fun!

As for you Queen of Haiku, I would also do the same exact thing >.<! Just let the person know that you didn't mean to offend, you were just relaxed and having a good time. Ask them to tell you if there was something in particular that was perhaps crossing the line so that you can know for next time. Yay for being INFJ and wanting to make sure everyone is happy :)!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yay for being INFJ and wanting to make sure everyone is happy :)!
That last line made me laugh

Alas, I think you are right

I should know by now that balance is key

It is something I often forget due to my super analytical nature

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I agree, Zomboy, and thank you Countess for putting it into perspective! I appreciate the last line as well. If everyone I care about is happy, then I am happy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts