Personality Cafe banner

Do you run?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you like to run? Do you think when you run? Share your running experiences, if you do run.

I enjoy running. I have started to enjoy running when I was really young. I was quite good at sprinting when I was a child, but when puberty hit, it seems like my body is more suited to middle to long distance running.

Not really that athletic and competitive, but I try to improve myself by timing myself.

I do 5 km's now, and on flat ground.

Absolutely cannot run without music, unless I run with someone, but 99.99% of the time I run by myself. I don't usually think too much when I run, but thoughts do subconsciously flow through my mind.

Android Apps I love to use while running: Zombie Run, runtastic.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I hate running. Hate it with a passion. Even when I was active in sports (gymnastics, softball), I hated it. I could run a 6 minute mile. But I still loathed it.

I didn't mind quick bursts of sprinting (I was fast, I liked winning in playground races), but long distance, no way.

Now I'm entirely out of shape and hate stairs too.

As for other sports, the only thing I do now is bowling (I'm so hardcore), but I wouldn't mind softball again if I didn't have to run. I miss gymnastics terribly, but I'll never be able to go back to that.

·
Registered
635 Posts
No. No running / jogging. When I do sports, it's always deliberately to stop (over)thinking stuff the INTP style, so I enjoy sports that doesn't leave too much time for thinking and require to move my ass a little bit instead - table tennis, volleyball or soccer.

It's weird, but I also enjoy cycling, and it certainly gives a chance to (over)think this or that... don't know why.

·
Registered
9w1 sp
2,900 Posts
I used to ride my bike for a long time almost everyday as a kid to relax. I feel good doing running that's easy for me, feel like I could do it for over an hour. It helps me think, but not too much.
I just started running again, we'll see if I stick with it, though so far I've been liking it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I used to run a lot, then I got sick of it. Now I'm running only randomly. I guess I need a running buddy to kick my ass once a while to get back running regularly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I hate it. I get exhausted quickly. When I get exhausted, I don't have energy to think. Therefore I can't think. When I can't think I can't hear "that voice" in my head. Then I feel very lonely.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm super lazy and don't even tho I should lol. I like running, i'm pretty fast and run hurdles for my school. Track season starts in like 3 weeks, i'm way out of shape tho lol.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I don't even like to move from my stationary position at the computer to get myself food, forget about running. I used to race with other kids when I was younger, but now I completely hate most sports, or anything physical for that matter. The only thing I beast at is badminton, and I occasionally skate.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
nope. i should run more, but i never really do any exercise. besides walking a quarter mile to the bus....lol.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I was in my college cross country and track and field team. I absolutely love it and even though I don't run every single day like I used to, I try to squeeze in a good thirty minutes to an hour whenever I can.

***Edit*** please disregard this post. I thought this was an ENTP sub forum post.

292 Posts
I do not run on a regular basis. Every once in a while I get a burst of energy and go jog a couple miles around the neighborhood, but I don't do it often enough to keep myself in good shape or anything. I hate the feeling of physical exhaustion. I was on the Cross-Country team in high school and hated it. I wasn't a competitive runner there, but I was a fast sprinter and ran the 100m and 200m dashes on the track team. Those races only last a few seconds, so they were tolerable. I am a talented, yet underachieving overall athlete in team sports like basketball and soccer. I could have been great at CC, but lacked the motivation. I am especially good at non-team sports that require precision and concentration such as pool, darts, and karting (though that is pretty physical).

I don't have to physically do anything to think. I rather just sit down and do nothing in that case.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It was a warm Summer day in fifth grade…

Everyone was running on the track in PE class…

And I was running…

And the boys ran past me…

Then the girls…

Then the kid with polio who can barely run…

Five minutes later I ran through the finish line.

And from that day on, I decided I fucking hated running.

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
Got quite obsessed with keeping fit at one point. I was in pretty good shape, would run at lease once a week. It's not much, but my job was very, very active anyway. My resting heart rate was sometimes <60

Now I'm very inactive, very unfit, and it's kind of annoying. It does feel good to be in shape. Luckily I'm one of these 'high metabolism' types, so I can eat quite a lot and don't seem to be getting too much fatter, which I'm actually quite pleased about, considering how drastically my life has gone from regular activity to almost slug-like stasis.

Anyway back onto running. I enjoyed the fact that it kept me in shape, and I felt really good about myself after a run, but during a run it was a horrible, deathly chore.

Don't mean to hijack the topic too much, but I'd like to know how much anybody here really pushes themselves when they do exercise? I always need to go all out, 110%, otherwise it feels like it was pointless. I went to the gym a while ago for the first time in ages (so I was very unfit) and my heart rate peaked at something like 195, which is almost my maximum and very, very dangerous, yet I felt kind of fine about doing it, because otherwise I wouldn't have been gasping for breath and would not have been 'exercising'. I find that the sense of endurance and 'ability to cope with adversity' is the best part of exercise for me. One time I went for a run and pushed myself so hard that I swear I felt a sudden, tight, gripping feeling in my chest - heart attack?! Or if I'm hiking up a mountain or whatever, I'll often not want to stop for a rest until I'm actually at the top. Sometimes it gets too much and I must stop, but otherwise I'd happily keep going, red-faced, sweating, sometimes dizzy, etc. Anyway yeah I always seem to push myself to the absolute maximum when I do exercise. Anybody else?

·
Registered
183 Posts
No, I'm too lazy to run, although I like the idea of it. Sometimes I like to tell myself that I'll start working out if I ever start getting fat, but I know I wont. For the moment though, I'm underweight, which I'm fairly content with.

Reactions: TriggerHappy923
292 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the topic too much, but I'd like to know how much anybody here really pushes themselves when they do exercise? I always need to go all out, 110%, otherwise it feels like it was pointless. I went to the gym a while ago for the first time in ages (so I was very unfit) and my heart rate peaked at something like 195, which is almost my maximum and very, very dangerous, yet I felt kind of fine about doing it, because otherwise I wouldn't have been gasping for breath and would not have been 'exercising'. I find that the sense of endurance and 'ability to cope with adversity' is the best part of exercise for me. One time I went for a run and pushed myself so hard that I swear I felt a sudden, tight, gripping feeling in my chest - heart attack?! Or if I'm hiking up a mountain or whatever, I'll often not want to stop for a rest until I'm actually at the top. Sometimes it gets too much and I must stop, but otherwise I'd happily keep going, red-faced, sweating, sometimes dizzy, etc. Anyway yeah I always seem to push myself to the absolute maximum when I do exercise. Anybody else?
Likewise, I have a high metabolism, so I am very lucky in the consumption department as well. Also, I use to be very fit too, and when I do work out every once in a while, I do go extremely hard, it just isn't frequently enough to make a difference.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I would only run when walking was required. Honestly there isn't any place to run where I'm at, too many people.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I hate running with a passion. My body doesn't like it for some reason. I'm an Irish dancer, and for some reason my hips and knees are ok with all the hopping, but they are not ok with running. I also like doing yoga and pilates. Not sure any of those count as other sports, but they are other forms of exercise.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I love running, especially sprinting.
I don't ever exercise because I'm terrified I'll look stupid. I often get a compulsion to dash when I walk home at night, from excitement, and not any sort of fear. Running at night is just fun.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts