Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's get these guys over here to synthesize the stuff. It's called 10-(6′-plastoquinonyl) decyltriphenylphosphonium or simply SkQ1.

"As shown in the preceding papers [1-5], cationic derivatives of plastoquinone (SkQs):

- easily penetrate through lipid membranes, generating the theoretically expected diffusion potential [2];

- operate as antioxidants and prooxidants in isolated mitochondria, the window between the anti- and prooxidant activities being very large [2];

- in cells cultures, specifically accumulate inside mitochondria and prevent H2O2-induced apoptosis as well as light-induced necrosis in the presence of a photosensitizer [2];

- in animals, lower levels of age-induced oxidation of lipids and proteins [5];

- show favorable therapeutic effects on age-related diseases such as heart infarction [3], heart arrhythmia [3], stroke [3], kidney ischemia [3], some kinds of cancer [4], eye pathologies (cataract, retinopathies, glaucoma, and uveitis [5]), and osteoporosis [5]."

The mean lifespan of mice was extended from 388 days to 559 days. The SkQ1 was able to protect the mice from most causes of death except cancer. Most of the old mice died from carcinomas instead of infections such as: "such as pneumonia, hepatitis, nephritis, colitis, etc."

Impressive stuff. It's now sold as eyedrops in Russia for fighting cataracts.

Mitochondria-Targeted Plastoquinone Derivatives as Tools to Interrupt Execution of the Aging Program.
5. SkQ1 Prolongs Lifespan and Prevents Development of Traits of Senescence

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Part of me wants to take it, because I'm really interested in how far our society will come in the next 200 or so years. Then again, knowing that I would have to deal with obnoxious people for double the time would annoy me! :laughing:

·
Banned
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JoanCrawford said:
Part of me wants to take it...
You and lots of folks over at the anti-aging forums. This is far easier than going on some calorie restriction diet, lol. Unfortunately, it's not sold here, but I'm not sure why some lab hasn't licensed it yet from the Russians to sell here. I've seen the synthesis scheme. It's just a simple two stepper.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
@Revenant ,I don't care about living longer; I just don't want the aches and pains and the cognitive decline associated with old age.
Ya, the cognitive decline... that's the biggie. As soon as I start that process, I hope to donate my body to these Russian scientists to start doing tests on me. I'll ask them to try to keep the pain down, but whatever. I'm about to die anyways :p

·
Banned
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Revenant said:
Ya, the cognitive decline... that's the biggie.
There's a book called "The Memory Cure" by Thomas H. Crook about using phosphatidylserine (PS) to stop cognitive decline and I did see a recent Japanese study that showed some promise. Unfortunately, most of the earlier studies were done in Italy with small sample sizes and the author of the book sells the stuff, lol. I perused the Amazon reviews of PS and some do claim it helps with their memory, but the sample sizes are still too small. Yet, there's really nothing to lose other than some cash.

·
Banned
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EccentricSiren said:
So which types of cancer did it prevent? I wonder if they should look more into that aspect of it...
The SkQ1 extended life not by preventing cancer but by slowing down the aging process. Since these mice only live around 388 days, I don't think they get much cancer. They probably die from infections resulting from a weakened immune system due to aging. The SkQ1 prevented deaths from infections; the mice got really, really old and when organisms get old, they get cancer and die. There's a great side by side photograph of two mice, one taking the SkQ1 and one without. The one without the SkQ1 has lost all its whiskers. The one taking SkQ1 still has lots of whiskers.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
What this tells me is find the right anti-Oxidant, preferably in a natural herbal form, and start as young as possible

Reactions: Adrift

·
Banned
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@SirDave I've been reading books and amazon reviews on various supplements. I think everyone over 40 should be taking niacinamide if they possess the apoE mutant gene or if Alzheimers Disease and/or osteoarthritis runs in the family. This is the one supplement I've taken as an experiment and it's pretty much cured my creaky joints. (I used two brands, but one of them didn't seem to work; the other brand worked great.)

As a starting point, I'd urge you to take a look at glutathione, vitamin c (everyone with cholesterol problems should take vitamin c), and benfotiamine (an anti-glycation agent). The reaction of glucose with various proteins forms what are called "advanced glycation end products" which wreak havoc on the kidneys, nerves, skin, and eyes.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
@SirDave I've been reading books and amazon reviews on various supplements. I think everyone over 40 should be taking niacinamide if they possess the apoE mutant gene or if Alzheimers Disease and/or osteoarthritis runs in the family.
I wonder if this would be beneficial for concussions. I know there's a lot of long term issues with people who have had multiple concussions. I know fish oil is supposed to help but I wonder if niacinamide would help that.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
@Adrift, thanks for the mention. I just had both knees replaced, but now my wrist is a pain and I have to consider my hip increasingly. I'll ask my doc whether there's any overflow problem when I see him next. And @PowerShell, me too; I have actually had five concussions by my count, three of which left me unconscious. I have read that multiple concussions make Alzheimer's a virtual certainty. I found that glucosamine and fish oil taken together reduced a chronic water-on-the knee problem of several years to virtually nothing in less than a month, but sudden hair loss was striking.

Reactions: Adrift

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
And @PowerShell, me too; I have actually had five concussions by my count, three of which left me unconscious. I have read that multiple concussions make Alzheimer's a virtual certainty. I found that glucosamine and fish oil taken together reduced a chronic water-on-the knee problem of several years to virtually nothing in less than a month, but sudden hair loss was striking.
I had 3 concussions my freshman year of high school. The first 2 were within 2 weeks of each other during football and the last one was in wrestling and it was a month or so after. Basically I got 3 concussions in 2 months. Then I got another one last year due to a car crash so I'm officially at 4. It makes me nervous overall, especially with the first 3 being so close to each other.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4
6,497 Posts
Let's get these guys over here to synthesize the stuff. It's called 10-(6′-plastoquinonyl) decyltriphenylphosphonium or simply SkQ1.

"As shown in the preceding papers [1-5], cationic derivatives of plastoquinone (SkQs):

- easily penetrate through lipid membranes, generating the theoretically expected diffusion potential [2];

- operate as antioxidants and prooxidants in isolated mitochondria, the window between the anti- and prooxidant activities being very large [2];

- in cells cultures, specifically accumulate inside mitochondria and prevent H2O2-induced apoptosis as well as light-induced necrosis in the presence of a photosensitizer [2];

- in animals, lower levels of age-induced oxidation of lipids and proteins [5];

- show favorable therapeutic effects on age-related diseases such as heart infarction [3], heart arrhythmia [3], stroke [3], kidney ischemia [3], some kinds of cancer [4], eye pathologies (cataract, retinopathies, glaucoma, and uveitis [5]), and osteoporosis [5]."

The mean lifespan of mice was extended from 388 days to 559 days. The SkQ1 was able to protect the mice from most causes of death except cancer. Most of the old mice died from carcinomas instead of infections such as: "such as pneumonia, hepatitis, nephritis, colitis, etc."

Impressive stuff. It's now sold as eyedrops in Russia for fighting cataracts.

Mitochondria-Targeted Plastoquinone Derivatives as Tools to Interrupt Execution of the Aging Program.
5. SkQ1 Prolongs Lifespan and Prevents Development of Traits of Senescence
Cartoon Text Animated cartoon Photo caption Font

·
Banned
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PowerShell said:
I wonder if this would be beneficial for concussions. I know there's a lot of long term issues with people who have had multiple concussions. I know fish oil is supposed to help but I wonder if niacinamide would help that.
I don't know if this is relevant, but there is a study about using niacinamide to treat stroke victims. In mice, if you inject niacinamide into their brain within 6 hours of a stroke, there is no damage at all.

RESULTS:

In contrast to controls, neurological deficit scores and infarct volumes were greatly reduced by treatment with nicotinamide. The ED(50) of nicotinamide was 239+/-79 mg/kg (P=.95). It was found that nicotinamide injected during the first 6 h of reperfusion could effectively inhibit the development of brain damage. The optimal dose of nicotinamide was 500 mg/kg and gave a maximal response.
Nicotinamide therapy protects against both necrosis and apoptosis in a stroke model.

@SirDave you've got to read these case studies (towards the end of the article).
THE COMMON FORM OF JOINT DYSFUNCTION

1 - 17 of 17 Posts