Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something that I recognized long ago is that when I listen to music, watch a movie, or read a book, the key important factor to whether I like it or not is how it makes me feel.

When it comes to music, even though the lyrics can be important to me, the key thing is always how the song makes me feel. For example...I like pop music, what can I say. Even though the message and lyrics are usually generic and have nothing to them, I find myself singing along. I'll like a Justin Bieber song, even though I know it's ridiculous. Hell, I even got into "Party in the USA" by Miley Cyrus when it came out, I found myself singing along in the car. Of coruse, it's embarrassing, so I don't emphasize some of the music I like, and I don't even tell some people...I don't like coming across like a teenage girl :tongue:. But hey, I still get in the music, sing along, and it makes me happy...it makes me feel good.

Of course, this can extend to other music I like too. I can't relate to rap music at all for the most part, but I still love it and can sing a lot of the lyrics. Chiddy Bang's "Opposite of Adults" is my favorite song right now, but as a geeky white boy I can't relate to any of the lyrics, even if I can appreciate some of the cleverness. B.o.B.'s "Airplanes" is another great one. Even though the chorus is general enough that anyone can relate to it, the verses are completely separate from my life, and yet because of the emotion in his voice, I still feel like I can imagine the situation and it makes it real.

When I hear an Eminem song, I usually can't relate at all to all of the horrible things he's talking about (who can?) But, because the feeling is so strong, it's almost like I imagine him to be a villain in a movie, like the Joker in Batman. Because of that, I start getting really into the music, and it makes me imagine this fantasy world where it's fun to see him be this crazy, evil person.

So that's the thing with lyrics...it's awesome when I think they're good or can relate to them, but it's only there to enhance how I feel when I hear the song. It's like Linkin Park's lyrics...they're general enough to be relatable to me, but specific enough to tap into my emotional state. So I really get into their songs because of how they make me feel.

(My best friend, who's an INTJ, loves to make fun of me and my music...he loves to talk about stupid lyrics or un-inventive sounds. But it's fine, he usually makes me laugh at how stupid it is, and it doesn't bother me because I don't take the songs seriously anyway. We just agree to disagree...I enjoy it because of the feeling, and he just laughs at it because the songs are stupid)

It's kind of the same way with movies...I like movies because of how they make me feel. I don't need to analyze the plot, details, character development, scenery, etc...I just enjoy it.

I had always thought this was just a personal thing for me, because so much of the time in the past, when I explain to people that the feeling means the most to me, they look at me like I'm crazy. "How can you like that garbage when it's so stupid?" they ask. They wonder how I can just ignore the lyrics if the music sounds good.

So I was wondering if it might be related to type. Does me being a feeler make me seek the feeling I get from entertainment rather than getting satisfaction from it on an intellectual level? Do thinkers tend to need to be satisfied intellectually by their entertainment? I can enjoy a song when the lyrics mean absolutely nothing to me, but I wonder if thinkers have a lot more trouble doing so.

Or does sensing and intuition play into it more? As a sensor, do I value the sounds and sights more, and do they connect to my mood and feelings in a stronger way than an N would? I can't help but feel like N's have the imagination to come up with and create ideas/scenes for movies, while S's carve out the details so S's like me can escape into the world and believe it's real.

Of course, this whole thing may not be related to type at all, it may just be a personal thing for me. But I was wondering how the different combinations of SF, ST, NF and NT all take in these forms of entertainment? I didn't see how the E/I and J/P would make much of a difference. So I'm curious to hear what people say and if there's a connection at all.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I don't always listen to music for the lyrics (sometimes I listen to music - instrumentals- to help me think better), but I don't like music which seems to have been made just for the sake of entertainment - artists like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, and other electropop artists - like your INTJ friend. I can't tolerate most rap songs these days either, at least not the songs played on the radio or TV. They all seem to lack creativity and imagination to me.

I listen to music because of the way songs make me "feel" too. I like emotional songs, even though I'm relatively emotionless. I like some romance, action, and comedy movies, but I prefer movies which make me think. Like dramas and thrillers. :/

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am about halfway through feeling and thinking, and I am heavily on the Intuitive side.

My favorite films mainly consist of older classics and modern classics. I don't watch most of the crap that has been coming out nowadays. Musicwise I like Classical music, Jazz, Metal, Rock, Techno, old Rap etc. Almost everything except Pop and Emo.

Favorite Films:

A Clockwork Orange
Animal House
Amadeus
American History X
Apocalypse Now!
The Birds
Black Christmas (old one)
Blow
The Blues Brothers
Casablanca
Chinatown
Crash
Dazed and Confused
The Departed
Dr. Strangelove
The Exorcist
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Fiddler on the Roof
Friday the 13th (old)
From Hell
Full Metal Jacket
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Goodfellas
Good Will Hunting
Halloween (old)
Happy Gilmore
Independence Day
Jaws
Kill Bill
The Killing
King Kong
Last of the Mohicans
The Magnificent Seven
Monty Python and The Holy Grail
Napoleon Dynamite
North By Northwest
Pumpkinhead
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (old and new were good, old still better)
Traffic
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Play It Again Sam
Psycho
Pulp Fiction
Raging Bull
Ray
Reservoir Dogs
Rocky
Scarface
Silence of the Lambs
The Sure Thing
To Kill A Mockingbird
The Unforgiven
Vertigo

Music:

Classical-

Bach
Beethoven
Mozart
Penderecki
Stravinsky
Tchaikovsky
etc

Metal-

Acid Bath
Ahab
Anthrax
Angelic Process
Bolt Thrower
Candlemass
Cannibal Corpse
Cryptopsy
Forgotten Tomb
Forgotten Woods
Megadeth
Metallica
Mirror of Deception
Obituary
Peste Noire
Slayer
Warning

Rock-

Beatles
Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones

etc etc

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Great list! My agreements:

Favorite Films:
A Clockwork Orange
Animal House
American History X
Blow
Dazed and Confused
The Exorcist
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas want to see badly
The Godfather
Goodfellas
Happy Gilmore
Kill Bill
Last of the Mohicans
Traffic -want to see too
Reservoir Dogs wanna see
Rocky
Scarface
Silence of the Lambs
To Kill A Mockingbird saw long ago also can't remember but would like to re-watch
There were others I want to see but not as much as those mentioned

Music:
Metal-
Anthrax
Angelic Process
Bolt Thrower
Candlemass heard good things about
Cannibal Corpse
Cryptopsy
Megadeth
Metallica
Slayer

Rock-
Beatles
Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin I'm a fan of their rhythm section
Pink Floyd
I have a ridiculous amount of interests music-wise but here's a partial list of those you didn't list:

Dead Kennedys, KMFDM, Iron Maiden, Hypocrisy, Emperor, Naglfar, Dissection, Living Sacrifice, Dismember, Edge of Sanity, Morgoth, Opeth, Satyricon, Carcass, Napalm Death, Necrophobic, As I Lay Dying, Dethklok, Sepultura, Nuclear Assault, Pantera, Suicidal Tendencies, Sodom, Exodus, Morbid Angel, Type O Negative, Cathedral, Sleep, Tiamat, Dio, Red Fang, D.O.A., Jello Biafra, Nine Inch Nails, Psycho Motel, Primus, Faith No More, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jimmi Hendrix, The Tea Party, Rage Against the Machine, Beastie Boys, Cypress Hill

Yes I'm really high on the scandinavian extreme metal :wink:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I am a sensor. I am drawn to how things sound out. I don't care for lyrics. In fact, at one point, I found singing annoying

I listen to a lot of instrumentals as a result. One song that kind of explains what I am drawn to in music is this one here. Listen to the part starting at 0:27. You may not like it, but it is this meditative/melodic sound that draws me to this piece and the rest of the song. No real underlying meaning behind the song matters so much except that it give my heart pleasure.

Likewise in videos, I like action. I also like facts. When movies involve issues that the real world faces or what other people I know of face, that makes them all the more interesting. Speaking of action, I find movies as simple as this super fun to watch You don't need to watch the whole thing:

That's all I have to say.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
teddy, don't worry, you're not alone ;) I used to be ashamed of my music taste when I was very young and because I wanted to fit in, I was telling around I was listening to the popular stuff that everybody else was listening. For example, I remember being a Boyzone fan and I heard their songs for the first time 10 years later. But then I became so confident in my taste that people started to respect me because of it. You just have to shock them enough so they start to expect everything.

I'm a S and I'm not constantly in the mood for deep stuff. I have to really feel prepared to see a European movie or listen to meaningul songs. Actually, I never listen to lyrics - even if I try to, I usually lose focus after a second verse because I get associations to something else. So I like music and songs that really just make me feel good. That includes from country and 40's oldies to High school musical and children songs from when I was a toddler. And Friends and stupid American movies. Especially after a long day with a lot of socializing, when I have already enough to think about, I'm not in a mood for thinking about all that's bad in the world.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Something that I recognized long ago is that when I listen to music, watch a movie, or read a book, the key important factor to whether I like it or not is how it makes me feel.

When it comes to music, even though the lyrics can be important to me, the key thing is always how the song makes me feel. For example...I like pop music, what can I say. Even though the message and lyrics are usually generic and have nothing to them, I find myself singing along. I'll like a Justin Bieber song, even though I know it's ridiculous. Hell, I even got into "Party in the USA" by Miley Cyrus when it came out, I found myself singing along in the car. Of coruse, it's embarrassing, so I don't emphasize some of the music I like, and I don't even tell some people...I don't like coming across like a teenage girl :tongue:. But hey, I still get in the music, sing along, and it makes me happy...it makes me feel good.

Of course, this can extend to other music I like too. I can't relate to rap music at all for the most part, but I still love it and can sing a lot of the lyrics. Chiddy Bang's "Opposite of Adults" is my favorite song right now, but as a geeky white boy I can't relate to any of the lyrics, even if I can appreciate some of the cleverness. B.o.B.'s "Airplanes" is another great one. Even though the chorus is general enough that anyone can relate to it, the verses are completely separate from my life, and yet because of the emotion in his voice, I still feel like I can imagine the situation and it makes it real.

When I hear an Eminem song, I usually can't relate at all to all of the horrible things he's talking about (who can?) But, because the feeling is so strong, it's almost like I imagine him to be a villain in a movie, like the Joker in Batman. Because of that, I start getting really into the music, and it makes me imagine this fantasy world where it's fun to see him be this crazy, evil person.

So that's the thing with lyrics...it's awesome when I think they're good or can relate to them, but it's only there to enhance how I feel when I hear the song. It's like Linkin Park's lyrics...they're general enough to be relatable to me, but specific enough to tap into my emotional state. So I really get into their songs because of how they make me feel.

It's kind of the same way with movies...I like movies because of how they make me feel. I don't need to analyze the plot, details, character development, scenery, etc...I just enjoy it.

I had always thought this was just a personal thing for me, because so much of the time in the past, when I explain to people that the feeling means the most to me, they look at me like I'm crazy. "How can you like that garbage when it's so stupid?" they ask. They wonder how I can just ignore the lyrics if the music sounds good.
Well I wouldn't saw this really relates to me too much and I'm an ISFJ just like you. I'm the same in the way that I like how a song makes me feel, whether it be happy or melancholy. I really like to immerse myself into my music and music effects my whole mood.
But I also think lyrics are extremely, extremely important. I mainly don't like mainstream or anything that has cliche lyrics that have no meaning behind them. I like my lyrics to tell a story or help get a feeling across, and without that the song may feel meaningless. I also like to think about what the singer was going though when they wrote a certain song and what events in their life influenced the song. I like songs that have more specific lyrics (instead of general lyrics) like the song writer really put a lot of themself into the song and you get to see things though their eyes.
But then other times lyrics aren't so important because I may have a sentimental attachment to a certain song or they may just make me feel good and make me want to sing along.
I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say here...it's hard to put into words. I guess like songs for both lyrics and the music. They need to have a good balance of the two.
I hope all this made sense.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I am a sensor. I am drawn to how things sound out. I don't care for lyrics. In fact, at one point, I found singing annoying

I listen to a lot of instrumentals as a result. One song that kind of explains what I am drawn to in music is this one here. Listen to the part starting at 0:27. You may not like it, but it is this meditative/melodic sound that draws me to this piece and the rest of the song. No real underlying meaning behind the song matters so much except that it give my heart pleasure.
YouTube - Andy McKee - Joyland (international version)
Thank you for posting that song!! It was beautiful to listen to! :laughing:

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
It's weird, because even though I'm an NT, I have an SF taste in songs. I usually care more about the music more than I do the lyrics and mostly listen to music for the emotions (but I admit I also like dark, intense, heavy angst-ridden music like many NT's do). I thought the latter was true for everyone, but I know an ESTP who recently said he never listen to music for those reasons; he didn't care about the emotions, just "feeling the beat". Which is fine of course; music means different things to different people. But I'd wager I'm probably one of the few INTP's who actually enjoys ABBA (yeah, I said it...what are you going to do?:tongue:).

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I'm pretty flexible as to why I listen to what I do, maybe because I listen to many different things for about as many different reasons. Going from Floyd to Emperor in one listening session is rather easy for me and I get vastly different experiences. I have days where I'm like that and I have days where I listen to basically the same thing all day or at least for a while lol.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I have a ridiculous amount of interests music-wise but here's a partial list of those you didn't list:

Dead Kennedys, KMFDM, Iron Maiden, Hypocrisy, Emperor, Naglfar, Dissection, Living Sacrifice, Dismember, Edge of Sanity, Morgoth, Opeth, Satyricon, Carcass, Napalm Death, Necrophobic, As I Lay Dying, Dethklok, Sepultura, Nuclear Assault, Pantera, Suicidal Tendencies, Sodom, Exodus, Morbid Angel, Type O Negative, Cathedral, Sleep, Tiamat, Dio, Red Fang, D.O.A., Jello Biafra, Nine Inch Nails, Psycho Motel, Primus, Faith No More, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jimmi Hendrix, The Tea Party, Rage Against the Machine, Beastie Boys, Cypress Hill

Yes I'm really high on the scandinavian extreme metal :wink:
ZOMG! An ESFP, that loves metal?!?1one! Marry me? I'll even do you up a fancy little ring, from a bread tie. :wink:

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
:blushed:

Is it really that rare? I knew I was different from most but this confirms it :tongue:

·
Registered
737 Posts
When it comes to music, even though the lyrics can be important to me, the key thing is always how the song makes me feel. ... But hey, I still get in the music, sing along, and it makes me happy...it makes me feel good.
I feel the same way, Teddy.

For instance, my friends in high-school would say something along the lines like Tool [the band] had such intelligent lyrics. Though I agreed, I also found their musical style to be indigestible.

Or another example is that I love listening to, say, Cheap Trick or Duran Duran. Their respective lyrics are, yes, clever, but nothing truly 'esoteric' or 'intelligent'. Yet I feel on top of the world when I'm listening! I feel great!

I agree here as well. Which is why I love like Soundgarden or Stone Temple Pilots.

It may be unintellectual, but the music sure is fun, isn't it?

So I was wondering if it might be related to type. Does me being a feeler make me seek the feeling I get from entertainment rather than getting satisfaction from it on an intellectual level? Do thinkers tend to need to be satisfied intellectually by their entertainment? I can enjoy a song when the lyrics mean absolutely nothing to me, but I wonder if thinkers have a lot more trouble doing so.

Or does sensing and intuition play into it more? As a sensor, do I value the sounds and sights more, and do they connect to my mood and feelings in a stronger way than an N would? I can't help but feel like N's have the imagination to come up with and create ideas/scenes for movies, while S's carve out the details so S's like me can escape into the world and believe it's real.
I'm inclined for the later (Sensing vs. Intuition). And by your definition I would be a highly sensing person. I often tell others that my favorite films are 'Heat', 'The Dark Knight' and 'To Live and Die in L.A.' not because of the plots but because of the execution and the style in those films.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Firstly for music it has to:
1. Have a good beat ect:
2. The singers must please my ears.

Then I decide whether or not the lyrics are pathetic. With movies i'm not too arsed, I don't have a favourite.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I guess I just like what I like. When it comes to music, I listen to mainly anything that's violent, aggressive, harsh, and abrasive, so mostly extreme forms of metal. Though, I still love noob stuff, like nu-metal. Since we have no metal stations in my area, and my cd player sucks, I usually get stuck listening to country, when I'm in the car. Very, very rarely I'll listen to pop or rap. Though, rap is awesome in the club.

When it comes to movies, I mostly watch horror movies. I've seen a ridiculous amount of horror films, and try to stay on top of the next trendy torture porn releases, to see who can finish pushing the boundaries, and see if anyone can finally make a movie, that I can't stomach. I made it through A Serbian Film, so I doubt that ever happens. On the other hand, if I feel like watching a kid's animated movie, I will. I love How To Train Your Dragon. Like I said, I pretty much like what I like. Between the horror and the metal, though, my family thinks I'm literally possessed. lol

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I guess I just like what I like. When it comes to music, I listen to mainly anything that's violent, aggressive, harsh, and abrasive, so mostly extreme forms of metal.
So can I assume you've heard of a few of the more extreme ones in my post?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
So can I assume you've heard of a few of the more extreme ones in my post?
Anthrax, Bolt Thrower, Cannibal Corpse, Cryptopsy, Megadeth, Metallica (mainly thrash days), Slayer, Naglfar, Morgoth, Opeth, Satyricon, Carcass, Napalm Death, As I Lay Dying, Dethklok, Sepultura, Pantera, Sodom, Exodus, Morbid Angel, Type O Negative, Dio

Though, I gotta admit, I'm not vastly familiar with Black Metal. The Black Legions and Burzum, were about as far as delved into Black Metal. Pretty familiar with most Death Metal; Cannibal Corpse, Behemoth, Dying Fetus, Suffocation, Aborted, Nile, Origin, Hate Eternal, Bloodbath (same lead singer as Opeth), to name but a spare few. I listen to a fair share of grind, stuff like; Brutal Truth, Pig Destroyer, Soilent Green, Leng T'Che, Nasum, and Cephalic Carnage. Then the odder gore/porn grinders; Fuck! I'm Dead, Torsofuck, Rompeprop, stuff like that.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Anthrax, Bolt Thrower, Cannibal Corpse, Cryptopsy, Megadeth, Metallica (mainly thrash days), Slayer, Naglfar, Morgoth, Opeth, Satyricon, Carcass, Napalm Death, As I Lay Dying, Dethklok, Sepultura, Pantera, Sodom, Exodus, Morbid Angel, Type O Negative, Dio

Though, I gotta admit, I'm not vastly familiar with Black Metal. The Black Legions and Burzum, were about as far as delved into Black Metal. Pretty familiar with most Death Metal; Cannibal Corpse, Behemoth, Dying Fetus, Suffocation, Aborted, Nile, Origin, Hate Eternal, Bloodbath (same lead singer as Opeth), to name but a spare few. I listen to a fair share of grind, stuff like; Brutal Truth, Pig Destroyer, Soilent Green, Leng T'Che, Nasum, and Cephalic Carnage. Then the odder gore/porn grinders; Fuck! I'm Dead, Torsofuck, Rompeprop, stuff like that.
Metallica were only good then, but that's my opinion as someone old enough to remember when And Justice came out (sans bass).

:shocked: You've never heard Emperor but you've heard Satyricon and Naglfar (that one impresses me no one else I know heard of this stuff let alone listens to this stuff :happy:)? I haven't heard Nile heard lots of good things about them. Wow there's lots I've never heard of, I'll have to remedy that somehow. Do you prefer the Scandinavian style or the North American style for death metal?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Metallica were only good then, but that's my opinion as someone old enough to remember when And Justice came out (sans bass).

:shocked: You've never heard Emperor but you've heard Satyricon and Naglfar (that one impresses me no one else I know heard of this stuff let alone listens to this stuff :happy:)? I haven't heard Nile heard lots of good things about them. Wow there's lots I've never heard of, I'll have to remedy that somehow. Do you prefer the Scandinavian style or the North American style for death metal?
I guess I would say Scandinavian. I can't even think of any Florida style death metal bands, besides Cannibal Corpse and Deicide, and I'm not really a fan of Deicide. I like Origin, who are from Kansas, but they're tech death. You should definitely check out Nile, they're pretty original, with the Egyptian theme they've got going on. Behemoth, if you haven't heard of them, might be something you'd enjoy, since you're a fan of black metal. They're blackened death, so the black metal influences are there. Bloodbath is probably a personal favorite, though. You hear some of his growls in Opeth, but it's on a different level, with Bloodbath. I had to look up Emperor. Not bad. I listened to more dark ambient, depressed, funeral style stuff, though. I'll leave you with a vid.

Alright, make that two. lol

1 - 20 of 50 Posts