Personality Cafe banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this brownie 20 minutes to an hour before a longish resistance training session. It is high in fat, protein, and fiber (without being as high-calorie as a typical brownie), so it keeps me full for hours.

It also contains caffeine to power the workout (and to keep me awake all day). It is not high in carbs and is designed to NOT quickly alter blood sugar, so it's probably not great for cardio-based workouts except maybe endurance cardio.

It's not very sweet at all. If you want it to taste more like a dessert, add another tbsp. of sugar.

INGREDIENTS
1 serving hemp protein powder (about 4 tbsp)
1 serving rice protein powder (about 2 tbsp)
1 tbsp. flax seed meal
1 tbsp. cocoa powder
1 tbsp. nut butter
1–2 tbsp. coconut sugar (or other low-glycemic sweetener)
few tbsp. of soy milk (or other high-protein mylk)
1/2 tsp. coconut oil (or other oil suitable for baking)

1/3 - 2/3 tbsp instant espresso powder (I'm sensitive to caffeine and 1/2 tbsp. gives me energy all day when I don't sleep enough. Adjust the amount based on your body size/caffeine sensitivity/etc.)

DIRECTIONS

Mix together all the dry ingredients, then mix in (about 3 tbsp.) soy milk until the mixture is a uniformly gooey paste. Oil your cooking surface (I use a piece of aluminum foil) with the coconut oil. Spread the brownie mix onto the cooking surface so that the brownie is about 1/2 inch thick. Bake for fifteen minutes at 400F.

EXTRA INFO
I use Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein Powder and Nutribiotic Raw Rice Protein. Each has only one ingredient. The protein powders alone provide 27 g of protein (assuming that none of it is denatured in the baking process). You can probably use other types of protein, but beware: too much chalky protein (like the rice protein) will produce a chalky brownie.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts