Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this can go in madhatter's "misadventures of an ISTP" files.

I was hired basically be the middleman between a bunch of engineers and salesmen. I scoped this out and it looks like I'm dealing with a pronounced NT in charge of engineering dept, and a bunch of ESxx in the Sales office. So far I like the engineers just because I am one, after all, and I like sitting around analyzing and laughing at all the stupid stuff that customers do. HOWEVER. Some of these guys get so lost in the details that they can't concentrate on getting anything done! So now I have to try and "herd" the NTs toward useful activities, and try to pound a sense of urgency into them...a tad difficult!

Anyway, this conversation happened last week with the lead engineer:

me: "Who was that guy in the meeting to my left?"
EGR: "A Salesman."
me: "How did you know?"
EGR: "I can tell a salesman a mile away. He didn't even have to open his mouth."

followed by this conversation with a marketing guy the same day:

me: "You are confusing me. Exactly which set of data are you trying to get?"
him: (a bunch of stuff that makes no sense)
me: "Well I'm going to discuss this with [another engineer]"
him: "Be careful with him! I ask him what time it is, and he tells me how to build a watch!"

derrr! :crazy: Things are actually at a bad point, because the engineers can't prioritize worth a damn and the salesmen can't tell a rock from a hammer, so guess who's gonna pull this shit out of the fire??? :wink:

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
The ISTP, of course!! We're so underrated...people go along their merry way, oblivious, and no one sees the ISTP behind them, picking up the pieces. But, we actually prefer that no one notices us...vicious circle!

This story is definitely "misadventures" worthy. Anything to do with engineers that can recite 100 decimals of Pi, but can't tie their own shoes is "misadventures" worthy.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The ISTP, of course!! We're so underrated...people go along their merry way, oblivious, and no one sees the ISTP behind them, picking up the pieces. But, we actually prefer that no one notices us...vicious circle!
I usually find myself breaking things rather than being the one who picks up the pieces.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it's funny, I know I can fix all their problems...and yet I don't want anyone to pay attention to me while I'm doing it. :blushed: I want to shut my door so the salesmen can't talk to me while I'm concentrating LOL

I think we are underrated. But to be honest, I wouldn't nominate myself for the responsibility normally. It seems to have fallen in my lap.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Yeah, that happens a lot at my job. I don't want responsibility, but I have to step in a lot and take the reigns by necessity. Incompetence...:dry:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I guess this can go in madhatter's "misadventures of an ISTP" files.

I was hired basically be the middleman between a bunch of engineers and salesmen. I scoped this out and it looks like I'm dealing with a pronounced NT in charge of engineering dept, and a bunch of ESxx in the Sales office. So far I like the engineers just because I am one, after all, and I like sitting around analyzing and laughing at all the stupid stuff that customers do. HOWEVER. Some of these guys get so lost in the details that they can't concentrate on getting anything done! So now I have to try and "herd" the NTs toward useful activities, and try to pound a sense of urgency into them...a tad difficult!

Anyway, this conversation happened last week with the lead engineer:

me: "Who was that guy in the meeting to my left?"
EGR: "A Salesman."
me: "How did you know?"
EGR: "I can tell a salesman a mile away. He didn't even have to open his mouth."

followed by this conversation with a marketing guy the same day:

me: "You are confusing me. Exactly which set of data are you trying to get?"
him: (a bunch of stuff that makes no sense)
me: "Well I'm going to discuss this with [another engineer]"
him: "Be careful with him! I ask him what time it is, and he tells me how to build a watch!"

derrr! :crazy: Things are actually at a bad point, because the engineers can't prioritize worth a damn and the salesmen can't tell a rock from a hammer, so guess who's gonna pull this shit out of the fire??? :wink:
hahahaha sounds like a place i used to work! can i add a story from what happened there that i couldn't believe and thought was completely asinine? sure, thanks!

picture this. 5 highly intelligent computer and mechanical engineers. i mean fucking smart. your watch builder guy actually reminds me of them. anyone. i come back from lunch and they're outside with a handtruck and a small maybe 3 foot tall safe on it and they're en route to someone's SUV. one guy i closely work with asks for my help for when we get to the SUV being that im one of the bigger guys at work. i'm tall, played football in college. so i say sure. i shit you not. we get to the truck. guy opens the back hatch. safe is sitting on the ground in front of the opening. 5 guys are arguing on what's the best way to get the safe in the truck. i mean they're considering building an inclined plane and all sorts of just nonsense. im actually starting to get frustrated at the stupidity of all the fucking geniuses. so, i say, "hey guys, why don't we pick it up and put it in the truck." it took 3 of us to do it and it was done. my buddy who called me over got a kick out of my directness to the problem. he was laughing at himself for getting caught up in it all too.

with that long story, i surely do not envy the position that you're in. but im sure that you'll be able to find a lot of humor in it!! looking back of course.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hahahaha sounds like a place i used to work! can i add a story from what happened there that i couldn't believe and thought was completely asinine? sure, thanks!

picture this. 5 highly intelligent computer and mechanical engineers. i mean fucking smart. your watch builder guy actually reminds me of them. anyone. i come back from lunch and they're outside with a handtruck and a small maybe 3 foot tall safe on it and they're en route to someone's SUV. one guy i closely work with asks for my help for when we get to the SUV being that im one of the bigger guys at work. i'm tall, played football in college. so i say sure. i shit you not. we get to the truck. guy opens the back hatch. safe is sitting on the ground in front of the opening. 5 guys are arguing on what's the best way to get the safe in the truck. i mean they're considering building an inclined plane and all sorts of just nonsense. im actually starting to get frustrated at the stupidity of all the fucking geniuses. so, i say, "hey guys, why don't we pick it up and put it in the truck." it took 3 of us to do it and it was done. my buddy who called me over got a kick out of my directness to the problem. he was laughing at himself for getting caught up in it all too.

with that long story, i surely do not envy the position that you're in. but im sure that you'll be able to find a lot of humor in it!! looking back of course.
bahahahaa
I saw this tonight and was laughing because just today i had another "incident" with the engineers, and I can't get over it. They are too smart for this planet, I swear. I got stuck between two of them having a sort of robotic conversation that was SUPPOSED to be humorous, but it was like watching paint dry. Think "calculus jokes"... :tongue:

I have already completely tuned out the marketing people, to preserve my sanity and make sure that the data doesn't get screwed up. At least I'm not stuck cleaning toilets, amirite?

·
Registered
51 Posts
bahahahaa
I saw this tonight and was laughing because just today i had another "incident" with the engineers, and I can't get over it. They are too smart for this planet, I swear. I got stuck between two of them having a sort of robotic conversation that was SUPPOSED to be humorous, but it was like watching paint dry. Think "calculus jokes"... :tongue:

I have already completely tuned out the marketing people, to preserve my sanity and make sure that the data doesn't get screwed up. At least I'm not stuck cleaning toilets, amirite?
yeah, sometimes i wonder about that. your last sentence. sometimes i feel like i should just go work the shittiest possible job. digging ditches, cleaning out port a johns. i dont know. i mean like, im not happy now with a normal job. i once thought about quitting my job and moving to Sicily and living on the beach washing dishes until i learned the language.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts