Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference between Thinking and Feeling that also exists between iNtuition and Sensing, respectively? In other words, is there a way in which

Thinking is to Feeling
as
iNtuition is to Sensing

?

Or is there a similarity between Thinking and Intuition that also exists between Feeling and Sensing, respectively? In other words, is there a way in which

Thinking is to iNtuition
as
Feeling is to Sensing

?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Could you rephrase your question? I don't understand. Are you asking what differences there are between thinking and feeling? Or are you wanting us to comment on SF, ST, NT, and NF?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you rephrase your question? I don't understand. Are you asking what differences there are between thinking and feeling? Or are you wanting us to comment on SF, ST, NT, and NF?
No, I'm asking if Thinking and Feeling share a common difference with iNtuition and Sensing, respectively. To illustrate:

Suppose Thinking is 3, Feeling is 9, iNtuition is 2, and Sensing is 4. Now one difference between 3 and 9 is that 9 is 6 more than 3. But 4 is only 2 more than 2, so this is not a difference they share.

Another difference between 3 and 9 is that 9 is 3 squared. And 4 is 2 squared. So this is a difference they share, and in this way 3 is to 9 as 2 is to 4.

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,108 Posts
No, I'm asking if Thinking and Feeling share a common difference with iNtuition and Sensing, respectively. To illustrate:

Suppose Thinking is 3, Feeling is 9, iNtuition is 2, and Sensing is 4. Now one difference between 3 and 9 is that 9 is 6 more than 3. But 4 is only 2 more than 2, so this is not a difference they share.

Another difference between 3 and 9 is that 9 is 3 squared. And 4 is 2 squared. So this is a difference they share, and in this way 3 is to 9 as 2 is to 4.
You're breaking my balls, man.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Far out...

Reactions: timeless

·
Registered
326 Posts
Heh heh, I think I get what you're saying:

T - F
| - |
N - S

I guess you're asking if T and N are somehow "linked" to eachother, in the same way that F and S would be linked. Am I close?

If this is the case, then no. T and F are both Judging functions, while S and N are both Perceiving functions. T deals with the impersonal, F with the personal, while N deals with the abstract and S with the concrete. That's all there is to it. T can be be combined with S or N alike, as long as one of the functions is extraverted (ex. Ti) while the other is introverted (ex. Ne). Apart from the first being a Judging fuction and the second being a Perceiving function, there is no "special" relationship between T and N, or between F and S.

God I have a headache

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heh heh, I think I get what you're saying:

T - F
| - |
N - S

I guess you're asking if T and N are somehow "linked" to eachother, in the same way that F and S would be linked. Am I close?

If this is the case, then no. T and F are both Judging functions, while S and N are both Perceiving functions. T deals with the impersonal, F with the personal, while N deals with the abstract and S with the concrete. That's all there is to it. T can be be combined with S or N alike, as long as one of the functions is extraverted (ex. Ti) while the other is introverted (ex. Ne). Apart from the first being a Judging fuction and the second being a Perceiving function, there is no "special" relationship between T and N, or between F and S.
Yes, that is what I was saying, and I already knew everything you say here. I have good reason to think there is such a link.

·
Registered
791 Posts

Not to pick nits, but 9 and 4 are +/- 3 and +/- 2, squared, respectively.

Have some more variables...

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Check out Jung's use of the terms "Rational" and "Irrational" in his Psychological Types

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ack, INTP!

Ummm ...

The only thing I can really think of here may or may not be what you're looking for.

T's often make decisions based on logical reasoning ...
N's are prone to "flashes" of inspiration which may seem ... un-reasoned-out?
F's would make decision based on "feelings" and the inspiration from N (in either a T or an F) may be thought of as a feeling rather than from intuition ...
S ... based on what is observable ... which I suppose can bear some very surface similarity to T-ness ...
F as seen by strong T's involves "reading into" other's feelings (though it's apparently just natural :D ) which for strong T's would require them to use N ...

Ack.

Reactions: fillet
1 - 12 of 12 Posts