Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you find sarcasm or sarcastic people to be flat out hilarious?

I know I do it all the time and I have several friends (couldn't tell you their personality type) where undertones of sarcasm bleed through every word they say. Even if it's directed toward me, I still find it funny.

I'm not sure if it's an INTP thing or a me thing, but most people (if they pick up on it) either don't like it or don't know how to respond to it.

Anyway, what's your take? (Sarcastic responses welcome) :laughing:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I love the humour of INTPs. They're nigh on the same as the ENTP, what do you think? There is one INTP I know of, and he just loves being sarcastic...but more than that?- He loves telling outrageous lies, as though just to see who is intelligent enough to pick up on them. Do all you INTPs do that?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Sarcasm is my primary form of expression. I almost feel bad when people try to understand what I'm saying through type, because it so much harder to tell when I switch from straight-forward to sarcastic.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
There are times at which I'm not sarcastic. Those are the times when I'm being facetious.

How well someone picks up on/appreciates sarcasm can sometimes be used as a barometer to tell how well I will get along with them. Unfortunately it seems that often people will think that because of my sarcastic nature that I'm never serious or caring, which sometimes frustrates me and can make communication difficult, but those who know me can tell pretty easily.

A big problem these days is that some people think they're being sarcastic and witty when they're just being an obnoxious asshat.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
There are times at which I'm not sarcastic. Those are the times when I'm being facetious.

How well someone picks up on/appreciates sarcasm can sometimes be used as a barometer to tell how well I will get along with them. Unfortunately it seems that often people will think that because of my sarcastic nature that I'm never serious or caring, which sometimes frustrates me and can make communication difficult, but those who know me can tell pretty easily.

A big problem these days is that some people think they're being sarcastic and witty when they're just being an obnoxious asshat.
The story of my life

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sarcasm is my life.

Gotten me into trouble on more than one occasion, but it's so worth it :laughing:

I usually stick with a "ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer" policy. It is almost frightening how often people think I'm serious.
You'd think they'd catch on eventually, wouldn't you, but no, people keep asking stupid questions, so I'll keep giving them stupid answers...

Reactions: ProlyphiQ

·
Registered
115 Posts
If I'm awake, my sarcasm switch is on. It can at times lead to a bit of trouble, yes.

Oh, and I totally agree on the stupid question = stupid answer thing.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm always sarcastic, even when I'm serious. Some people understand my subtle playfulness but others consider me a serious person because of my deadpan delivery.
Generally, when people think I'm being serious, I continue the sarcasm ad absurdum until they either figure out I'm not being serious or I decide they're too dumb to be worth my time.

For example, a guest that is frequently at my house (I'm guessing an SJ) had a conversation with me that went sort of like this:

Guest: Can I use your restroom?
Me: Fuck no!
Guest: (brief moment of shock) ... No really, can I use your restroom?
Me: I said fuck no!
Guest: Really? I can't?
Me: Of course not.

After long enough of this, he eventually just went to use the restroom (which I would have done after the first time). Those that know me well enough have figured out the best strategy is just to ignore me when I'm doing this.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Just want to say I think this is a great idea for a thread. Seriously.

Anyway, for a long time my .sig line in for my work email was something like "Please join me in boycotting products that use dihydrogen monoxide--a proven killer". At first more cluefull people would chat me to either laugh or find out if I knew what I was saying. Then someone in Minnesota (it's always Minnesota) asked "How do I support your cause? I try to be a conscious consumer". I thought she was joking so I played along, but it didn't take much time for me to realize that she had no idea I was talking about H2O.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Anyway, for a long time my .sig line in for my work email was something like "Please join me in boycotting products that use dihydrogen monoxide--a proven killer". At first more cluefull people would chat me to either laugh or find out if I knew what I was saying. Then someone in Minnesota (it's always Minnesota) asked "How do I support your cause? I try to be a conscious consumer". I thought she was joking so I played along, but it didn't take much time for me to realize that she had no idea I was talking about H2O.
You don't know how many times I tricked my friends with this.

Also, like everyone else here, I am always sarcastic. Especially when it's really serious, because I feel when it gets too serious, laughter is needed.

Random example-that-didn't-actually-happen-but-probably-would:

Person 1: My friend died yesterday...
Person 2: Thats so sad! Where is he going to be buried?
Me: In a hole most likely.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sarcasm is hard to pick up in written communication, but sometimes it seems like the vast majority of people are oblivious to it in real life as well. 100% deadpan delivery doesn't help a lot.

I hate saying something that I see as brilliant and hilarious (this doesn't happen often), but when the sarcasm is missed, confusion and awkwardness ensues.

Should probably just start wearing shirts with I'm being sarcastic printed on them.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I love the humour of INTPs. They're nigh on the same as the ENTP, what do you think? There is one INTP I know of, and he just loves being sarcastic...but more than that?- He loves telling outrageous lies, as though just to see who is intelligent enough to pick up on them. Do all you INTPs do that?
It’s interesting you should mention outrageous lies.

Earlier today, a friend asked me about college and I fabricated an absurd story about dropping out of school to become a clown in the circus, because it had always been my childhood passion.

She called me a pathological liar, to which I replied, “I was being sarcastic. I’m joking. ”

Somebody nearby said, “I couldn’t tell by the tone of your voice.”

I stared blankly and sipped my drink.

·
Registered
988 Posts
People take me too seriously, because most of my classmates are EXFJ's of varying states, and treat everything I say as quantum physics (rocket science to them, but rocket science is easy). Which is to say that to most of the students whatever I said was the last word on the subject, or the absolute truth, even though the majority of what I say is sarcasm.

My class really needs to taken lessons in sarcasm detection, because I have a bad feeling everyone accepted what I said about frog innards last time...:unsure:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its funny you say that because I take pride in the complexity of my lies. It's actually more remarkable how people will believe just about anything (which makes you think what else people are willing to believe).

Of course, after I'm done having my fun or take the lie as far as I want to take it, I always admit the truth. But I have to say, I thoroughly enjoy making up stories :laughing:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Its funny you say that because I take pride in the complexity of my lies. It's actually more remarkable how people will believe just about anything (which makes you think what else people are willing to believe).

Of course, after I'm done having my fun or take the lie as far as I want to take it, I always admit the truth. But I have to say, I thoroughly enjoy making up stories :laughing:

And this INTP guy loves it when I play along. It's what our friendship is based upon. Our humour. I love that I never need to explain any joke to this guy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
She called me a pathological liar, to which I replied, “I was being sarcastic. I’m joking. ”
...pathological liars believe their lies. What we do is a mixture of improvisation acting and story telling! The best comedians/ actors are experts at this, however, we do it just for shits, giggles and pure enjoyment

:crazy::laughing::dry:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts