Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do some types Tend to be more sarcastic than others?

Or is sarcasm more of a trait acquired through life experience?

·
Registered
836 Posts
... this is a long answer to your short question, but I hope it helps! :)

I, personally, am very, very sarcastic.

My use of sarcasm, as well as my use of humor in general, is a coping mechanism I use in life to deal with things. I use it to make situations less serious, less frightening, and to diffuse certain situations. In addition, I use humor to keep people at a distance rather than expose my sensitive side.

I think, very often, people develop a sense of humor in reaction to things... or even use it to shield parts of themselves from the world. Think of all the comedians with hard lives. Difficult times growing up. Past alcohol/drug addictions. Current alcohol/drug addictions. Very often, when interviewed, I get the sense that they are entirely too aware of the world, it's problems and flaws, and humor is something they use to detach themselves from that.

That's why it's difficult to type comedians. They are showing a mask to the world.

So by and large I think most of our sense of humor is formed by life experiences.

That said, I think there are general patterns amongst types. This is my opinion based on my own experiences, so I'm painting with a wide brush here:

Ne-users (xNxP's) tend to have very very random humor... sometimes almost to the point of only being tangential to an actual point. Ni-users (xNxJ's) are usually more reality-based, sarcastic, dry. Se-users (xSxP's) tend to enjoy slapstick, silly voices, Jackass-type stunts. Si-users (xSxJ's) tend to be also reality-based, sarcastic, and sometimes very very serious and devoid of humor.

But again. This is based on an individual's life experiences. Their family's sense of humor. How they were treated in school. Their friend's sense of humor. Maybe even genetics?

Just a few thoughts.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
There may be a loose type correlation but I doubt its heavily type related. The sarcastic people I know include NTs, STJs, and an ENFP. More Ts than Fs but not a large enough sample size to make definite conclusions.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I deny sarcasm the right to be used by me

I really uggh dislike sarcasm it is a waste of time

Reactions: sleeper

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
I've read somewhere that the ability to use and understand sarcasm is based on Empathy, which is generally why those with Anti-Social personality disorder don't understand it, as they have no Empathy. I think it's more of a life skill, rather than a personality trait.

If I were to guess at the types who would be "best" at it, I'd go with Feeler types (With Fe users in the front), Fe is often associated with the values and judgments of their outer world as a whole and usually it holds up culturally. An objective measure of value based on a majority.

In my model: That would make XXFJs the best, followed by XXFPs, XXTPs, and XXTJs in last.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts