Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

I wanted to ask this question because I have found no information on google or wiki about this so far.

I was thinking whether SAT scores and a personality type are correlated. I once read that there was in fact a link between being an T instead of F and IQ scores, but I can't find that statement.

For example is a person with a 800 on critical reading but a comparatively lower 650 on math more likely to be a certain type like INTP or ESTJ or ENFP etc...

so... is there a link between certain abilities- verbal-mathematical-logical-etc, and your personality type?

thanks!

Alex

·
Registered
838 Posts
Your MBTI type is the measure of your preference, and thus theoretically, should have no effect on your abilities (and thus the test scores).

As for your other statement, I don't believe that being a T is correlated to your IQ type either (it's a judging function, being a T does not mean you can think better); again, your type is not the measurement of your abilities, nor do they have anything to do with it.
However, there may be correlation between the type that prefers certain activities and how good they are at said activity. For example, if theoretically, Ts prefer activities that involves puzzles and problem solving, etc. naturally, through practice and exposure, they may score better at tests that takes such activities in account.

Long story short, no, SAT scores are not correlated to your type.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Your MBTI type is the measure of your preference, and thus theoretically, should have no effect on your abilities (and thus the test scores).

As for your other statement, I don't believe that being a T is correlated to your IQ type either (it's a judging function, being a T does not mean you can think better); again, your type is not the measurement of your abilities, nor do they have anything to do with it.
However, there may be correlation between the type that prefers certain activities and how good they are at said activity. For example, if theoretically, Ts prefer activities that involves puzzles and problem solving, etc. naturally, through practice and exposure, they may score better at tests that takes such activities in account.

Long story short, no, SAT scores are not correlated to your type.
Why do you act like you hate thinkers or something?

Even though I agree I think some types have personality wise tools to make them thirst for knowledge.
An ESFJ can be smarter then An INTP and vice versa.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Why do you act like you hate thinkers or something?

Even though I agree I think some types have personality wise tools to make them thirst for knowledge.
An ESFJ can be smarter then An INTP and vice versa.
I hate thinkers? D: Two of my closest friends are thinkers, and I am in relationship with one as well.
Also, my love for INTJs are notorious. :wink:

What I do hate, however, is when someone has a wrong definition of what "thinkers" are, a.k.a. believing that "think" in thinker actually point towards their ability to think.

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,108 Posts
I took the old SAT. I'm an INFP and I got 800 on verbal and in the 600s on mathematics. I think it was 650. I can't really remember, it was a while back.

Reactions: SarahWilliams

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not so sure about that...
some evidence like

there are links between atheism and intelligence and between T types and atheism
and if t types arent smarter why do they count among their ranks bill gates, einstein, milton friedman, etc

also so in your "long story short" comment do you have evidence to back up that they are not correlated or are you just saying you personally believe there is not a correlation cause those are two very different things

---- furthermore my question was also dealing not with just iq but specific skill sets like being very good at math or very good at critical reading etc

----- other thing to note there is a correlation between extremely high intelligence and depression/low quality of life, and i believe introversion as well.... in that study apparently they found that it is extremely difficult for people to relate to others who are 30 or more points below them

·
5,108 Posts
damn same score as me........ this is a good test case for me...... how F are you?
I'm pretty F'ed up.

Oh, you meant in MTBI. I'm 58% F. I think it should be higher than that though.

Reactions: Rhee

·
Registered
838 Posts
not so sure about that...
some evidence like

there are links between atheism and intelligence and between T types and atheism
and if t types arent smarter why do they count among their ranks bill gates, einstein, milton friedman, etc

also so in your "long story short" comment do you have evidence to back up that they are not correlated or are you just saying you personally believe there is not a correlation cause those are two very different things

---- furthermore my question was also dealing not with just iq but specific skill sets like being very good at math or very good at critical reading etc

----- other thing to note there is a correlation between extremely high intelligence and depression/low quality of life, and i believe introversion as well.... in that study apparently they found that it is extremely difficult for people to relate to others who are 30 or more points below them
First of all, please note that correlation does not equal causation. Also by only listing the names of T "geniuses" you are disregarding the fact that there has been many F's who has been considered "geniuses" as well (Disregarding the fact that handpicking such sample of to try to represent the whole is simply ridiculous.) And to back up my claims, it should be pretty much self explanatory by studying the MBTI that this system has nothing to do with one's personal abilities, this is a personality test - a test of one's preference, after all. I have, however, already mentioned that preference for certain activities may account for one to score better in certain tests. Of course, what I mean to point out in this statement is that this does not mean that just by being a certain type, your ability is determined (just in case I was not making myself clear). And I also was not making a statement regarding only that of IQ types, I merely singled it out as it was part of your question.

·
5,108 Posts
If it helps for other standardized tests, I got a 168 on the LSAT.

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
Please keep your statements clear before this turns into a fight.

I don't believe there are many studies done on this, no - at least, not that I've seen. From personal opinion, however, I would have to argue that there might be a slight favouring of interests that could lead to higher scores, but not guarantee them. Additionally, it's another thing to consider how these people taking the SAT would test on the MBTI. I'm sure many of them, even if they were not, would test as Thinkers simply due to the environment they're in.

For the celebrity argument, I don't think that's reliable - how can we know who Bill Gates and all of these supposed Thinkers really are? We don't know them personally, and even if you rely on what they share in interviews, it's likely cut and edited by both themselves and those giving the interview. Bill Gates could be an ISFP, for all we know.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
There might be some correlations, but it does not reflect inherent intelligence or aptitude. As the David Myers' Psychology demonstrates, SAT and GRE correlate better with each other than actual college success. I mean. Come on. A 650 on the math section and an 800, what does it really matter? Because college success is made of more things than simply being able to churn out answers on the SAT within a specific amount of time; most of Gardner's multiple intelligences are involved as well, and the SATs is horribly one-sided.

ENFPs probably would score higher, on average, on interpersonal intelligence, while ISTJs would probably score higher on mathematics. If you're naturally predisposed to social intelligence, you might like socializing. As most people would tell you, if you socialize more, you get better at it. It's not to say ISTJs can't be as good, but due to their natural disposition to doing math and logic puzzles, they may gain an edge here and the ENFP may have an edge in social skills. It's quite impossible to test divergent thinking and social skills on paper.

That's why, in college admissions these days, the interview and essay are paramount. Numbers don't say much about a person (and given that my SAT scores are abysmal, I might have to rely on those. Everyone who has read my writing agree that I can be quite charismatic on paper). And -gasp-. I'm an INTJ who isn't good at math. What a surprise -eyeroll-

Reactions: Grey

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I never took SAT, I took ACT instead.... And my friend that is an F scored higher on ACT than I did, And my T is one of the the only functions I'm positive about these days... I don't know exactly where she excelled, but I know overall she did have a higher score on ACT than I did.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I do not understand why so many people are quick to dismiss the original poster's theory. He was asking if there exists any CORRELATION, yet so many people immediately assume that there is no correlation or something along the lines of "correlation does not mean causation (I think this is pretty obvious)." I do not at all believe that one's personality type determines their intelligence, as different people with different types can have the same type of intelligence. This however does not rule out the possibility of correlation between one's type and one's intelligence.

While I do believe there could be a correlation, I do not believe my personal scores go towards supporting that :blushed:. I am INFP and I received Critical Reading: 650, Math: 800, and Writing: 640.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I do not understand why so many people are quick to dismiss the original poster's theory. He was asking if there exists any CORRELATION, yet so many people immediately assume that there is no correlation or something along the lines of "correlation does not mean causation (I think this is pretty obvious)." I do not at all believe that one's personality type determines their intelligence, as different people with different types can have the same type of intelligence. This however does not rule out the possibility of correlation between one's type and one's intelligence.

While I do believe there could be a correlation, I do not believe my personal scores go towards supporting that :blushed:. I am INFP and I received Critical Reading: 650, Math: 800, and Writing: 640.
I brought out the statement precisely because it was not being understood (correlation being used as an "evidence" and causation).

Also, I think other posters and I have agreed that there is a possibility that preferences in type's activities may account for some sort of correlation between certain type and certain type of tests -- only thing we "quickly dismissed" was details pertaining to the ability-type link, more precisely this statement: "so... is there a link between certain abilities- verbal-mathematical-logical-etc, and your personality type?"-- which is something that is denied by the MBTI system itself.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I brought out the statement precisely because it was not being understood (correlation being used as an "evidence" and causation).

Also, I think other posters and I have agreed that there is a possibility that preferences in type's activities may account for some sort of correlation between certain type and certain type of tests -- only thing we "quickly dismissed" was details pertaining to the ability-type link, more precisely this statement: "so... is there a link between certain abilities- verbal-mathematical-logical-etc, and your personality type?"-- which is something that is denied by the MBTI system itself.

Maybe I am just misunderstanding what you all mean by the word "link". It seems that you are implying "link" to mean causation and I can see how it can be interpreted this way. I assumed that because the original poster initially used the word "correlation", he was making reference to the same word when talking about "a link between certain abilities- verbal-mathematical-logical-etc, and your personality type." I do believe there could be in fact a correlation between certain abilities and personality type, but I do not think that implies causation (or direct link). One cannot say conclusively that there is no correlation (not that I can say as of now that there is but I wouldn't be surprised). All correlations are meant to show are trends.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Maybe I am just misunderstanding what you all mean by the word "link". It seems that you are implying "link" to mean causation and I can see how it can be interpreted this way. I assumed that because the original poster initially used the word "correlation", he was making reference to the same word when talking about "a link between certain abilities- verbal-mathematical-logical-etc, and your personality type." I do believe there could be in fact a correlation between certain abilities and personality type, but I do not think that implies causation (or direct link). One cannot say conclusively that there is no correlation (not that I can say as of now that there is but I wouldn't be surprised). All correlations are meant to show are trends.
Yes, I think we took the context of the word "link" in a different way. Although I still believe that the OP has used link as a direct-causation (especially after looking at his reply to me), I can see how you could have taken the world in accordance with the initial correlation as well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts