Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a savant... Not Autistic, but I still fall under the savant category. It is due to how I process information. Sometimes I am prone to sensory overload, which is why I need time to withdraw from the world.

Any other 5's here a savant?

Do you think it is common for 5's to be savants?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Since Savant Syndrome is usually associated with being autistic, and/or having a mental health issue, and/or having a central nervous system issue, and/or having some other cognitive disability, I doubt you'd see much of a correlation of Type 5's being savants than any other type.

To answer your question, no, I am not a Savant.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I'm getting off topic here. I'm inclined to believe that people on the autism spectrum tend to look like savants because they have a tendency to be obsessive about their interest in a particular area. And practice makes perfect, so...

I don't think there's a lot of correlation between savant behavior and type, though.

Reactions: outofplace

·
Banned
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it's far more likely that a type 5 is schizoid.
I actually met a real schizoid in a movie group I belong to. He hosts the group... He doesn't talk to any of us but lends his huge tv and giant living room. He told us all he's a schizoid and that was one of the few times we heard him speak. I accidentally locked myself in the bathroom too, and he tried to help me out - one of the other few times I heard him speak rofl XP

He's doing well and trying to go out to the mall and stuff.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Schizoids, Savants. Deary me, I can imagine I would annoy you all greatly at how obsessive I would be about figuring you out and learning to understand you. I can imagine I would be fascinated to talk to your Schizoid acquaintance.

No, I am not a Savant, and as the others have mentioned, I doubt that being one has much correlation with your Enneagram type. Enneagram is mostly about the neuroses we have developed as a reaction to the world, and while biological factors might have a say in pre-determining our type....
Actually there might be a flaw in all that thinking :p

Perhaps indeed there is some correlation between Savant-ism and 5. If Five is the neurosis that we develop, that we are incapable and so must withdraw and "figure out" the world, it doesn't seem so unlikely to me that a Savant would notice his/her incapability to operate as well as others can in the world. You mentioned you needed to withdraw from the world sometimes due to sensory overload, now I wonder to what degree this is neurotic. Is this simply a case of where the brain begins to fail to function due to sensory overload, or is it the case of where the brain denies more sensory stimulation due to it not being worth the perceived risk? Basically, to what degree is that tendency based off introversion?

Your feedback, coffeecatalyst, would be really helpful! This is only a casual pondering and not anything intensely scientific, but it would be interesting to figure out. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
I was speculated to have high-functioning autism (or Asperger’s) for years by teachers, but I don’t identify as a savant or schizoid. Needless to say, I have obsessive interests; however, I always force myself to socialize with other people and I form attachments readily. All of the people I knew diagnosed with Autism did not fit the profile of a savant –they were, as they described, “shy.” I don’t think there is a link between Autism, schizoid personality disorder, and enneagram. Autism (and savant syndrome) is genetic and schizoid personality disorder is linked to severe neglect as a child.

·
Banned
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Schizoids, Savants. Deary me, I can imagine I would annoy you all greatly at how obsessive I would be about figuring you out and learning to understand you. I can imagine I would be fascinated to talk to your Schizoid acquaintance.

No, I am not a Savant, and as the others have mentioned, I doubt that being one has much correlation with your Enneagram type. Enneagram is mostly about the neuroses we have developed as a reaction to the world, and while biological factors might have a say in pre-determining our type....
Actually there might be a flaw in all that thinking :p

Perhaps indeed there is some correlation between Savant-ism and 5. If Five is the neurosis that we develop, that we are incapable and so must withdraw and "figure out" the world, it doesn't seem so unlikely to me that a Savant would notice his/her incapability to operate as well as others can in the world. You mentioned you needed to withdraw from the world sometimes due to sensory overload, now I wonder to what degree this is neurotic. Is this simply a case of where the brain begins to fail to function due to sensory overload, or is it the case of where the brain denies more sensory stimulation due to it not being worth the perceived risk? Basically, to what degree is that tendency based off introversion?

Your feedback, coffeecatalyst, would be really helpful! This is only a casual pondering and not anything intensely scientific, but it would be interesting to figure out. :)
Sensory overload is basically your mind figuring out or intuiting too much information at once (when around several people/talking to someone), to the point it paralyzes your thinking and you become numbed by anxiety. It takes a lot of time to recharge after, and I need a lot of alone time to relax and journal about everything I picked up on. I have also had some damage done to my brain so that's probably why.

I hope this answers your question...? If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Maybe if we adjust the premise to something like this...

In all types, there will be autistic people. But there could be a possibility that Fives are more likely to be savants, out of that subset?

Or, alternately, that savants are more likely to be Fives, perhaps?

So, rather than saying that Fives are more likely to be savants in general, maybe it's that those of us who are autistic are more likely to develop their interests out of the natural Five curiosity and value for skill and competence?

For the record, I think asking questions like these is a good thing to do on principle, even if they seem dumb. Every assumption should be challenged. If we want to find scientific truth, we constantly need to check how we're being bordered in by our own perceptions. We need to reconsider things we've written off as silly in a serious way, and check that we aren't missing anything. On principle, all sorts of stupid questions should be asked.

Well... maybe not all sorts. I seem to recall a thread a long while back in the INTP forum pertaining to preferences when it came to fart smells. *facepalm*

Then again, I read somewhere that Benjamin Franklin did write some sort of paper at one point on different fart smells. I'm not sure whether that's true or not, but apparently he thought it was worth studying. ...I guess.

Never mind. You know what, I'm just gonna leave. *double facepalm*

What was my point again? Oh yeah. Have fun with that thing I said. Aw, sheesh, what time is it? Dang it.

Reactions: Jamie.Ether

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Maybe if we adjust the premise to something like this...

In all types, there will be autistic people. But there could be a possibility that Fives are more likely to be savants, out of that subset?

Or, alternately, that savants are more likely to be Fives, perhaps?

So, rather than saying that Fives are more likely to be savants in general, maybe it's that those of us who are autistic are more likely to develop their interests out of the natural Five curiosity and value for skill and competence?

For the record, I think asking questions like these is a good thing to do on principle, even if they seem dumb. Every assumption should be challenged. If we want to find scientific truth, we constantly need to check how we're being bordered in by our own perceptions. We need to reconsider things we've written off as silly in a serious way, and check that we aren't missing anything. On principle, all sorts of stupid questions should be asked.
I think it's unlikely you'd find any correlation. I think you can likely type high-functioning people who are savants, but I don't think you can apply a system like Enneagram as easily or even the same way as you can for most neuro-typical folks.

I personally don't think that being a Savant would make you more likely to be a 5, because for many Savants it seems their skills aren't even always a main interest for them - but rather just an ability they have. For others, it does seem to lead into main interests, and for others still, they may be less high-functioning in area's not related to their Savant ability and likely couldn't be typed at all.

I guess my question is what would make a Savant more likely to be a 5? In my view, there isn't much. You can have those skills, curiosity, and value competence, but unless those make up your underlying core issues (meaning you can still have some 5ish issues, but not be a core 5), then you're likely another type.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts