Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys feel about saving? I would definitely agree with most people that it's important, but it seems like a very SJ thing. My ESTJ dad gives me books to read about it, my ESFJ mom yells at me to save at least half my paycheck (and then makes me take her to dinner) but I don't really have much of a thing for it myself. Occasionally I go on a saving spree, and I almost always put a portion of my pay in my savings, but I like to be able to buy something if I want it (usually just things like Taco Bell and Jimmy Johns but occasionally something more, ex. the new iPad :wink:).

So I'm wondering, how do you feel about saving money? Do you save much? Do you get by without the nutso saving my SJ parents preach?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm sort of a money hoarder actually. I was raised half my childhood with like, no money, and then the other half with a shopaholic stepfather who drives me nuts with buying unnecessary things. So I tend to spend minimally on food and whatnot and just allow money to collect and pile up unintentionally. There's no strategy involved or real purpose like an SJ might have.

When I eventually find something I want to buy, I'll buy it....With my stashed money, I've bought a 42 inch HDTV, a Macbook Pro, $400 camera, Nintendo DS, portable DVD player, ipod touch...I make big purchases.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I save money to spend. Basically I just horde and horde and horde. Then when I feel like I have a substantial amount I go on a spending spree. Then repeat the cycle. There's no point of having money if you dont spend it. I'm going to start saving for retirement or something with my next job though. It's not like we're going to have social security or anything.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I hoard money as well, mostly because I like knowing it's there, but honestly, I don't really like the idea of saving money for a later time.

The way I see it is that I am only young once, so I might as well enjoy the money while I'm not old and feeble.
I want to spend my youth traveling...so, yeah. I'm destined to be an old person with no regrets.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I don't save, I generally make big purchases whenever I've worked a lot, for example last summer I worked a shitload over 2 weeks and my paycheck was just barely over $700, so I bought a new computer.

The only thing I've kind of saved for is college, but other than that, I tend to waste most of my money by eating out. I eat out so much because I like to eat a lot of different kinds of foods (which I don't know how to make) and then I don't have to do any dishes either XD

·
Registered
359 Posts
Use your NT and save. It's a utility function or game theory problem. Yes, you could die or become enfeebled, in which case your best option is to party now like no tommorrow, but chances of that are pretty slim unless you know something about your own health or risky tendencies. Or, you could save it all, making your future a better place through compounding, sacrificing it all now.

Neither of these maximizes your utility function. The answer is inbetween. Have fun now, but save a little. If you sock away 10% regularly, are you really having 10% less utility in the moment? Maybe you choose a little more wisely how you spend it. Maybe you savor the 90% a little more. When your stockpile grows enough to start multiplying significantly on it's own, it's nice.

The only compelling argument I can see for not saving is that you're positive you're going to put your talents to good use and money will come in the future a lot easier than now....but at some point you still need to learn how to save lest you blow even that completely, so why not learn now?

You won't regret saving 10% (or 20 or whatever you choose), and you won't regret spending the rest to do what makes you happy now, imo.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Every time I try to save, these pesky things called medical bills and car repairs keep getting in the way. Thankfully I saved up enough to take care of them up front each time. When they don't get in the way, I spend some to travel. I also have money stashed away and collecting interest that I try to pretend I don't have, so in the future I can live comfortably.

I paid off my car 2 years early, so saving didn't happen during those years. It sucked to not really have any disposable income during those 3 years, but it has really paid off in the long run. The only debt I have is a couple thousand in school loans. Everything else I pay in cash (I don't do credit. Ever).

I hope to have enough contributed and saved up in my future fundage to be able to buy some land in a few years and build my own house (log cabin, specifically). I don't want to ever be tied down with a mortgage.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Books on saving... SJ's are amazing. Depends on your budget. Try to meet your basic obligations first, and set that money aside the second you get your paycheck, just take it out of the equation. Once that's done, look at what you've got left: would you be better off spending some of it on a treat (which could be emotionally boosting) or save it for larger investments. I usually do a mix of both, but definitely carry out your obligations first.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I used to be such a horrid spendthrift - spending way too much on food or stupid shit, getting overdrafts, maxing out and *exceeding* my credit card balance....yikes.

But when I turned 20 or so, I really turned around. I save, invest, my credit card is COMPLETELY paid off, and I maintain a detailed budget.

The whole idea of saving for retirement never motivated me, since I'd be old and unable to do much at that age anyway. (How exactly would I put the accumulated money to use? To be able to afford a nursing home with extra amenities? lol)

Shorter term goals are what motivates me. I'm currently saving to take technical mountaineering lessons, and to then tackle a mountain or two...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I'm pretty good at saving my money. I will buy something if I like it, and feel like I will enjoy/use it. I have an SJ dad that's anal about finances, and an NF mom that's not so great with it..... I'm pretty balanced though. The most I ever spent on was a plane ticket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts