Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
personally, I do this very rarely -- and when I do, it's done on purpose to glean a laugh or lighten up the situation.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I do this every time i open my mouth. I actually try use a LOT of sarcasm, but everyone just ends up thinking I'm extremely weird or stupid even...
LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am 100% with you on that one!

When I'm in social situations with people I don't know well, I'm pretty reserved and I'm pretty solid with what conversations I do have.

But people that I start to "let in" and open up around, they usually don't get my sarcasm at first ... and yeah, I've had many of a friend just drop their jaw at me, and I'm like ... You didn't realize that was sarcasm? You think I could say something like that and mean it??

I still get "you're weird" even from people who do "get it" now. I take it as a compliment. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
i do this all the time! with the right personalities, they think i'm hilarious but i have gotten some concerned reactions. like one time, i don't know what beckoned me to say this, but someone asked me my favorite ice cream flavor and i said, "definitely vanilla. chocolate is too sexual -- like i want to be calmed when i'm eating ice cream, not horny" and gosh, the lady i said that to was not amused in the slightest.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do this too much in spanish class... there are all these stupid funny pictures in the textbooks and I make a joke about it, that I think is just common sense about how weird the picture is, or maybe how strange the saying is in the workbook.

There was once a sentense, I kid you not, that literally translated: "He pulled 13 flamengos out of his hat" and this was not like something funny or something, it was legit. I made a joke about how weird it sounded and everyone in my class just stared at me like I was retarded.

And that is why everyone in my spanish class has only heard me talk once.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I do, often. This is why I'm rather taciturn around most people. ;). I have the same problem expressed by others, about sarcasm. I'm SO sarcastic at times, that even my tone-of-voice is not perceived as sarcastic.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
It really depends on who I am around.
I'm an audible suburban nightmare.

Reactions: goastfarmer

·
Registered
515 Posts
Lol.

I've done this so many times I can't even remember most of the unconsciously stupid things I've said. :\ The trouble is, I always realize what it's going to sound like when it's halfway out of my mouth, and that is the point of no return, for some reason. It's like I start doing or saying something and I think, "OhnoIshouldn'tbedoing/sayingthisbutIcan'tstopnow" and all I can do is watch it finish happening and cringe and hope for the best. It's pitifully amusing.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I think people may perceive us as either too innocent or sincere to read the sarcasm (or jokes) that we tell. Also our Fi means that a lot of the time our facial expressions don't always reflect what we feel inside. Most people don't have as good intuition as us to detect upon a deeper meaning either.

·
Registered
196 Posts
im pretty much like everyone else here.and sometimes i would start laughing at a joke even before the person finishes telling it because i can sense how it is going to end and it sounds funny. but people around me think im weird and that im looking for attention :p

Reactions: refugee

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I am awkward in a way that is not "rom com charming"; this stuff just isn't "cute" in reality. People just become uncomfortable.

I have moments where I can be really articulate, but I just as often get tongue-tied, and this leads to phrasing things strangely, saying slightly inappropriate things, sticking my foot in my mouth, etc.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
pretty often. i don't think it's my words so much that make me awkward (in themselves) but they may seem off-beat or my general demanor may seem ubncomfortable. because I am.

it isn't a constant-- once i feel safe with someone that doesn't really change, but some people are ALWAYS comfortable and don't realize that just cause i'm a weirdo with them doesn't mean it's my default mode. strangers can be genuniely stressful for me though sometimes interactions with strangers can be lovely, so are people who i feel pressured to engage with but don't feel any connection with (stressful).

sometihng i did that was really weird that i've been wincing about for the past month was this girl was trying to make conversation with me from my spanish class, and I literally told her, "I like watching squirrels" because a squirell ran by as we were speaking... she like, nodded and casually drifted away from me... conversation dead. I am the conversation killer. "I like watching squirrels". what the fuck.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
God, it gets so bad sometimes. I'm not soft spoken naturally, so whenever something inappropriate comes out of my mouth, it's not at all discreet. I also don't have the reflex to lower my voice or anything, I just say it outloud as if I was talking about the weather. Most of the time, my friends end up shushing me and laughing. I mean, just the other day, my friend and I were walking to class, and he randomly confessed that he was horny, as a joke. I was like "Oh, tell me about it, the other day, I couldn't stop touching myself blah blah blah".

I was way too loud :unsure:

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
another thing i do is, someone will say a comment that is only minimally funny, but I build on it in my head. like today my math tutor made fun of her professor by saying how he is really into super-heros and so he named his kids Clark and Pepper, and I went with that in my head to wearing a cape at home, and inane hilarious imagery of an aging professor jumping onto his podium in class with gusto wearing said cape going "I am not a bird, I am not a plane, I am an INTELLECTUAL"
I don't know, these are things if said out loud that are not funny, anyways, point being, I build little stories in my head that just keep binging off connections even after the joke has been dead for ten minutes, so weird little giggles keep escapign me in little pockets of air, and i'll be like looking down at my desk, torn between trying to articulate my mental image but it's too late, the moment has passed, and aware that everyone is wondering why I am still laughing...

·
Banned
696 Posts
I was much more socially inept as a kid, but I think it's okay because I... was a kid (including teenage years). I am a lot less so now, though I stumble sometimes. Perhaps it's because I might've become more comfortable with myself, or because I stopped overanalyzing my speech as much. I think most folks know the "social script" by the time they're well into their mid to late 20's, even if they were late bloomers in their developing years.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
someone asked me my favorite ice cream flavor and i said, "definitely vanilla. chocolate is too sexual -- like i want to be calmed when i'm eating ice cream, not horny" and gosh, the lady i said that to was not amused in the slightest.
This could have came straight from my own mouth. haha.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts