Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think the last time I got truly scared when reading a book was back when I was a kid reading "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie. I feel like scaring myself with great books again, but I don't really know the horror/mystery genre well, any recommendations?

·
Registered
313 Posts
The short story book, Nightmare at 20,000 Feet by Richard Matheson has some pretty freaky stories. Sadly I'm usually not directly scared by books or movies. Mostly just sounds in the dark at night when I'm by myself.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Frankenstein.

Freaked me out.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Parents wouldn't let me use the computer after I figured out how to look around the deepwet and accidentally ordered heroine.
TV is boring, and she only had romance commedy novels.
And a dictionary.
Soooo
Sounds like the premise of a very scary story, you should write the book and let me know when you publish it so I can read it!

Reactions: aef8234

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reactions: Lexicon Devil

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
421 Posts
Oh wow! Must have been quite the unique experience, how was it?
It was awesome! I remember him saying that one of the murderers was genuinely sorry for the deaths he caused but the other felt absolutely no remorse whatsoever

Reactions: Amaryllis

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
It, Fall of the House of Usher and Black Cat from Poe. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (those pictures...), and a haunted house themed Choose Your Own Adventure completely traumatized me as a little kid.

The thread wasn't specifically about reading scary books while being a kid, but that's when I read all of my scary literature (read It in middle school), for some reason. I wonder why little kids like getting scared s**tless. 1st graders now where I work are very aware of Slenderman and FNAF.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.