Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see myself as smart, clean and neat. But I had acquired several physical scars during my childhood days. I am still on my teens and I always hate seeing my scars on my skin. I'm very conscious with them. I bet scars also add to your personality. Does a physical scar affect your way of thinking about yourself?

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
I have a small scar on my lip where my tooth came out and went straight through my lip. People say they can't even see it but to me its really obvious. They also say its badass; I don't personally like it.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
To answer your question: I don't think that aphysical scar will affect your thinking other than "I'm so effing ugly".

Mental and emotional scars are different I think.

“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” -Kahlil Gibran

·
Banned
463 Posts
This is an interesting question... I suppose each scar has a story behind it. Some scars may reflect your personality, some reflect life-altering events that have changed who you are, some scars reflect nothing more than the tumbles we took as children trying to learn how to control our bodies.

I can see what you're saying. Though, I think it's the emotional scars that add to our personality more than anything else. Thanks for this post; it made me think a bit. Nice idea.

Reactions: NightSkyGirl

·
Registered
223 Posts
My scars are all quite small, from minor accidents/carelessness/bear fighting and make me feel more manly. I am also pretty direly sentimental so every so often I go over them all and reminisce about what they are from, and then imagine I am telling someone and feel silly because I really never do. Surgical scars I find rather gruesome and don't enjoy being showed for the fourth time by That Drunk Guy With The Scar (because like he ever talks about anything else)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I'd agree that some suffering paves the way for developing a loving personality
But as always it depends on the person's choices and perspective...

For myself, my emotional scars have made themselves physical :bored: on my face especially
I actually find it harder to live life, at least in public. And sometimes the scars mask how I'm really feeling inside

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I think scars can add a bit of personality to some people. I don't like my physical scars but for the most part, they either remind me of something I shouldn't do or of my quirks.

I have a thick scar on my knee, though it thankfully is pretty small. It could have been worse. I got that from being a stupid, hyper-active preteen and running down the sidewalk towards my school when I heard a song I liked playing. It was field day and they were playing loud music. I didn't look where I was going and smacked up my knee really badly. The scar reminds me to think ahead and judge whether something is worth rushing into.

I also have a scar on my right arm. I got that from cooking class, in high school. One of my classmates was talking to me while I was trying to get a pan out of the oven. I was distracted and the top of my arm was against the element inside the oven. I was taking anti-depressants at the time and I honestly didn't feel a thing. I burned my arm and I still have a scar, though no one notices it besides me. It reminds me to try to stay focused on what I am doing at the moment and my tendency to be a bit absent-minded/to drift off.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I have quite a few scars physically and mentally. The mental ones will always be there but I like to personally believe that out of everything negative comes positivity and wisdom. As for the physical ones, I love every one of them. I'm not ashamed of them at all either. Thank god for flesh because without it, I would not exist.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
I have a fuck load of stupid scars. One was caused by doing a flip on a trampoline and while in mid air I didn't kick my legs out and curled into a ball ending up busting my lip off my knee.

See it? It's the white line on my bottom lip.

I have another scar at the top of my eyebrow. When I was eight-years-old me and this girl were running and bumping into each other. I was a small girl for my age and she was a tall girl, so much that at one stage when we collided her tooth got stuck into the top of my eyebrow. I bled so much the girls in my class cried because they thought I was dead. You can see the shape of her tooth and it's pretty deep, too.

Another scar is one on my hand, I got onto my bmx and we moved our skate ramp toward this huge wall. It wasn't a cool scar I got, nope, what happened was I put some metal tape around my hand to pull the go-kart my friends were in behind me, the plan was I'd pull them with the bike and the go-kart would go over the wall. I didn't even get to the ramp, the tape sliced through my hand as soon as I started to cycle, now my hand looks like it's got burn scars.

Another scar I have is the weirdest one, it was my communion day and I was playing outside with my friends again, I was pushing my best friend on a swinging seesaw her dad made. I put my hand to near the top, were both the bars met at the top bar. It jammed my middle finger, I reacted so quickly that I made it worse, I pulled my hand out and ripped my nail and part of the my middle finger off. To this day there's a chunk missing off my finger and small scars at the sides of my nail.

On Easter this year I was playing football with my friends, I jumped on the ball in attempt to do a trick and landed on it. You know what happens when you land right on top of a ball? You fall on your ass, in this case I fell on my knee. Then there's another scar on that knee, I don't remember where it came from.

I have a scar from an operation I got as well and various ones all over my other knee from falling on them so much, hurting myself so much got me a lot of attention as a kid, then people babied me a lot and used to compliment how brave I was for not crying and gave me a "tough kid" persona.

What you might learn from this is I'm extremely dumb and accident prone and maybe you could look at it as courageous? :D and you too could give me a tough kid persona. I don't agree, scars don't add to your personality. It may say that, but it's not always true, even if it's engrained on your skin.

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,078 Posts
I think scars can add character to a guy, and make them look maybe more masculine.
But I don't think I would like them on myself. I hate my post natal scars.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I was always into rough housing as a kid, so I have my fair share of scars.

One from where I accidentally stabbed myself in the hand with a knife.
One on my elbow from falling after trying to do backflips off a fire escape ladder.
One on my nose from scratching the shit out of my chickenpox (it looks like a little freckle though, luckily)
One on my ankle, forgot why...had something to do with a bed of sharp rocks on the beach

Emotional scars? None for me. Kind of a ridiculous concept...short of actual PTSD, it sounds like a bunch of pity-me garbage to excuse the "bearer" for obsessing about negativities in the past.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I have a chicken pox scar right smack-dab on my forehead, I've had it for so long, i don't even regard it as unusual. I worked in a pet store, so my arms are covered in cat/dog/rabbit/rat/guinea pig scratches, also, which I'm used to and it's never asked about anyway. And I have one on my elbow from when my friend pushed me and I accidentally toppled over. That one I don't like, but yet again, I barely notice it.

I don't think my scars have much to do with my personality but I already don't care much about what people think in appearance.

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
I have three scars. One on my knee, and one on the back of each hand. The knee scar was where I tripped and fell on the blacktop at Sunday School when I was 12. It's barely noticeable now. The scar on my right hand was a result of trying to either put up or get a book (can't remember which) when I was a kid. There was this old rectangular clock with sharp edges just slightly above my bookstacks. The scar on my left hand was a result of walking into some barbed wire. The only meaning they have for me is that they serve as reminders of what an unbelieveable klutz I am. :tongue:

As for emotional scars, I have to agree with the people who say that those are the only scars that affect personality.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts