Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK so what are some scenes from books, movies etc. that really get to you?
They don't have to make you cry necessarily, but rather make you feel or realize something utterly profound and/or make you go "that sh*t was amazing ."

The Valerie scene from V for Vendetta gets me.All.The.Fucking.Time.
When I first saw it in theaters I thought it was touching, but whenever I watch it at home it gets me blubbering.
YouTube - V for Vendetta - Valerie's Letter
"Our integrity sells for so little but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, and within that inch we are free."
So fucking true.

We The Living by Ayn Rand is such an amazing novel, and one of her most underrated fiction work (before she got all dogmatic). My favourite scenes are SPOILER when Irina and Sasha are exiled to Siberia and they have to go on separate trains, and Sasha is just staring at Irina's train until it disappears, and the picture of the ape Irina drew for him before she leaves. Also the end, where Kira leaves to flee to the border. The whole journey from where she sees her uncle Vasili to the end where she is shot.END SPOILER
Those where such amazing parts of the book, the narrative really put you in there, and you really felt for the characters.
I wish she could write more stuff like this, she is really good at writing plot-based and character driven novels.

I also cried while watching Elektra because it made me realize I had wasted 10 bucks on a piece of shit trying to pass off as a movie. That was really hard-hitting.

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
Reactions: refugee and Harley

·
Registered
853 Posts
There are huge sections of Darren Aronofksy's "The Fountain" that carry this exact sort of profundity.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
There were a couple of scenes in "The Green Mile" that made me cry, both in the book, and in the movie. The most moving was where the empath describes how the murderer killed the sisters with their love for each other, and how this sort of thing happens all the time, everywhere. I related to feeling overwhelmed by a similar realization before, and that scene put words to it. // I was moved by the fair scene in "Powder" where he discusses the interconnectedness of everything, and lets the girl read his thoughts and feelings, revealing his hidden pain. Also, when they actually kiss, I get a rush imagining what it would feel like to know someone and be known that intimately, and to experience the other person's love and acceptance that completely and directly. // I always cry during the scene in "Meet the Feebles" where Heidi realizes Bletch considers her unattractive and only had pity sex with her in order to save the show. She feels completely alone, betrayed and humiliated, like the whole world is secretly disgusted by her and making fun of her behind her back. Many of the cast members actually don't respect her, but she projects this attitude onto all of them, even the nice ones who have their own insecurities. Eventually, she can't stand it anymore, and goes on a shooting rampage because of the intensity of her pain. Afterward, in the stillness, she sees the carnage she has caused and gives herself up.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
The part at the end of Schindler's List when the people he saved are visiting his grave had me in tears.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
YouTube - Requiem for a Dream - ending scene

It's one of the most powerful movies I've ever seen.

Other scenes I'd like to mention are the Baptism scene and the ending scene of There Will Be Blood it's not very good - actually hilarious - without the context of the rest of the movie.

The ending of Waltz with Bashir, an animated documentary movie hit me like a bomb. The entire movie is animated, except for the ending. And then you realize it's not innocent at all, but harsh reality.
YouTube - Palestinian Massacre

The opening scene of Inglourious Basterds is breathtaking, tension to the max.

I also like to mention the ending scene and other several scenes from Into the Wild

Enough depressing scenes for now. This is a scene from the documentary film The Story of the Weeping Camel and it's sooo beautiful :happy: What music can do:
YouTube - The Story of the Weeping Camel part8
Short explanation: the mother camel rejected her rare white colt at birth and refuses to nurture. With growing concern for the colts survival, the Mongolian family decides to employ a nomadic singing ritual to coax the mother into nurturing her young. They send the two eldest sons on a journey to the nearest village to fetch a musician for the "hoos ritual." The ritual emotionally bonds the mother and colt.

·
Premium Member
15,242 Posts
Breaking The Waves - final scene when Bess comes into hospital and her best friend's reaction. Yikes, that film is so raw. I felt bad for Bess but the friend and her loss and reaction... I cried and cried. Sobbed and sobbed.

Great comment from youtube - Yes, she saved him. While prior to her death it seems to have been in vain, and she dies in that belief, she saves him. It's a mythical and strangely religious idea. I watched it way back with 3 friends. The whole row, friends and strangers, just looked at each other at the end, and you heard people sobbing from all corners. If you're not infantile or emotionally retarded, it is probably the most emotionally devastating movie I've seen.

YouTube - Siskel & Ebert - Breaking the Waves (1996)

·
Banned
3,764 Posts
Heroes and Villains

I love the movie Crash because it emphasizes the dual nature of man. Almost every character is portrayed in a positive and a negative light at some point in the movie. The heroes/victims are also the villains.

The first time I watched it, I think I may have shed a tear at a few different scenes: when the police officer who sexually violated the woman in the beginning comes to her rescue and saves her life later in the movie. Also, when the little girl tries to save her dad's life in a drive-by shooting by jumping in front of him. If you haven't seen it, I won't ruin it for you, but the way the writers/director orchestrated that whole scene moved me.

Someone mentioned Schindler's List. Several scenes are emotional, but I think the end of the movie when he breaks down in remorse that he couldn't save another person's life is really moving. His character changed from a man who was, in the beginning somewhat apathetic about the horrors of the holocaust, to a hero who felt that he hadn't done enough, despite the nearly 1,200 people he saved.

YouTube - Schindler's List HQ - Ending (Saving The Jews)

[Spoiler Alert] Another scene that really saddened me was the end of Unbreakable when Samuel L. Jackson's character seemingly realizes that he's a villain.

YouTube - Unbreakable - Mr. Glass / End Title

The ending of Revenge of the Sith when Anakin, consumed by fire, declares his hatred for Obi-Wan Kenobi.

YouTube - YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, when the little girl tries to save her dad's life in a drive-by shooting by jumping in front of him. If you haven't seen it, I won't ruin it for you, but the way the writers/director orchestrated that whole scene moved me.
I absolutely loved that scene, damn that was some dramatic build-up.
Part of me knew she wasn't really dead though, something about the father's over-the-top expression:crazy:.

·
Registered
355 Posts
i make it a point not to get too emotionally caught up in movies. i haven't cried during one in ages.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Reactions: Stephen

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm moved by scenes where characters sacrifice themselves for others.

While this is more anime, there still scenes that move me, even when such sacrifices fail.

At least they made a final stand. I would wish such a death for myself.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I've actually never seen the movie, but I have a feeling it would move me:

Lila Culpepper: You know, the day I did it, I took two razorblades to the bathtub. You know why? Because I knew that once I started to bleed, I'd get weak. And I didn't wanna drop one blade and leave myself half done. Can you imagine that? Can you imagine hating your life so much that you'd wanna bring a backup razor?

Sam Foster: What's this?
Henry Letham: I burned myself.
Sam Foster: You burned yourself? Why?
Henry Letham: Practicing for hell.
Sam Foster: Why do you think you're going to hell?
Henry Letham: Because of what I did. Because of what I'm gonna do.
Sam Foster: What are you going to do?
Henry Letham: [mimes a gun to his head]
Sam Foster: You're going to try to kill yourself? And how serious should I take this threat?
Henry Letham: Saturday at midnight. It's what I'm going to do.
Sam Foster: Okay, you've gotta know that everything just changed, if you talk to me about suicide I'm required to take certain actions.
Henry Letham: Wait, just deal with him
[indicating patient in waiting room]
Henry Letham: , and we'll talk about it next time.
Sam Foster: There's a next time?
Henry Letham: Yeah. Yeah, we got three days.

Yeah... lol.

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
These two scenes immediately came to mind...took some doing, but I hunted them down.

I can't even express how deeply they move me every time I have seen them.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
We The Living by Ayn Rand is such an amazing novel, and one of her most underrated fiction work (before she got all dogmatic).​
For a second, I had the titles confused, and I thought you were talking about Anthem, but then I started reading inside the spoiler warning and remembered that the two main characters of Anthem weren't sent to Siberia on trains. >__>

I also cried while watching Elektra because it made me realize I had wasted 10 bucks on a piece of shit trying to pass off as a movie. That was really hard-hitting.
I snorted. XD

1 - 20 of 123 Posts