Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just don't like school. It's not that I can't do the work because I can, it's just that I can't do it on my own time. Not only that, I must be able to apply what I'm learning to something otherwise I feel like I'm wasting my time. When I was in the Army, I learned to drive a truck and that's what I do now...I drive a truck. The classroom was in the cab of an 18 wheeler. Sure, there was some actual classroom work but there wasn't a lot of it. It was something that I enjoyed learning and it's also something that I like to do. But now, at the ripe age of 33 I'm getting tired. It's pretty physical and I also need to be home more often for my kids. So I have to change gears. Anything that is worth doing typically requires going to school :frustrating:.

I haven't decided exactly what I would like to do but I know it will require school. I have tried this route before only to get frustrated. If I had to pin down two things that bother me it would be the inability to directly apply what I'm learning to something (like History, Philosophy, etc.) and having to do things on time. I do like math though...it's straight and to the point! I finished high school because I had my parents breathing down my neck.

So as an ISTP that has graduated from college (or almost) what are some of the things that you have done to stay focused?

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I'm still in school. I just take it one semester at a time. It stresses me out thinking about the "future".

I'm with you on the work. I never do homework at home, except papers (yuck!), and those don't get done until the last minute. I always have some time down at school to get the busy work out of the way.

I have a love-hate relationship with school. I love learning new things, but I hate the daily grind of it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I just don't like school. It's not that I can't do the work because I can, it's just that I can't do it on my own time. Not only that, I must be able to apply what I'm learning to something otherwise I feel like I'm wasting my time. When I was in the Army, I learned to drive a truck and that's what I do now...I drive a truck. The classroom was in the cab of an 18 wheeler. Sure, there was some actual classroom work but there wasn't a lot of it. It was something that I enjoyed learning and it's also something that I like to do. But now, at the ripe age of 33 I'm getting tired. It's pretty physical and I also need to be home more often for my kids. So I have to change gears. Anything that is worth doing typically requires going to school :frustrating:.

I haven't decided exactly what I would like to do but I know it will require school. I have tried this route before only to get frustrated. If I had to pin down two things that bother me it would be the inability to directly apply what I'm learning to something (like History, Philosophy, etc.) and having to do things on time. I do like math though...it's straight and to the point! I finished high school because I had my parents breathing down my neck.

So as an ISTP that has graduated from college (or almost) what are some of the things that you have done to stay focused?
i hate school too and im INTJ.
and i pretty much feel the exact same way about school as you do..what is the use of learning all this theoretical stuff if i can't use it? i often have to convince myself that learning X can be used in the future. that's what helps me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I hated school because of rote learning and rules and regulations and the strict schedule.

But after I graduated from formal schooling and did my postgrad, where I was able to do unstructured learning, read widely and had the freedom to argue my own points through my assignments/thesis, I loved it.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
This is why it amuses me so much that ISTPs get sucked into engineering so easily.

Engineering majors should be required to sign a waiver that says:

"I understand that when I graduate, I will be stuck at a desk doing the exact same fucking thing that I will have to do at school, and that the only real difference between school and the workplace is who is getting paid, and who is paying."

·
Registered
51 Posts
maybe Ill go to school and train to become an HVAC tech, plumber or some other skilled trade. I'm not messing with electricity though
electricity is fun! dont be scared. i'd rather get shocked then get someone's poop on me. i only say this because i was scared of electronics too. when i joined the army i picked my job solely on the fact that it came with airborne school. it was an electronics job. i was worried that i wouldnt understand it. well, lo and behold, i was distinguished honor grad of my class. it was all hands on and easy written tests with no homework. i am not saying to join the army at all!! besides, you already did that. i think that troubleshooting is really the only fun thing about it. everything else is tedious and boring. but maybe get into computer repair and IT stuff. something breaks, someone is flipping out. they call you, you're cool under pressure and find the fault and fix it rather easily and then you're a hero, and really you're just grateful that you're not sitting at a fucking desk doing data entry or some bullshit. which all goes back to plumber and hvac too. i guess just see what market is strongest in your area and go for it. but don't just deny anything electrical. you'd be surprised at just how easy it is. it's all based on simple math. it's the truth every time. you can do it! don't limit yourself. try it all.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is why it amuses me so much that ISTPs get sucked into engineering so easily.

Engineering majors should be required to sign a waiver that says:

"I understand that when I graduate, I will be stuck at a desk doing the exact same fucking thing that I will have to do at school, and that the only real difference between school and the workplace is who is getting paid, and who is paying."
tell me about it. i hate my job. the only enjoyment i get is when i get to design something or when something breaks or doesnt go as planned. i love chaos, there i said it, and i dont care who knows!

ive actually wanted to be a firefighter on and off for 10 years. even as recent as the past year. my friends dont do it, that im too smart to be a servant and pretty much belittled it. i retorted by saying everything isnt about money and saving lives is fucking righteous. it's kinda a mute point because no one around here is hiring. if they were, i'd probably be doing it now.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, engineering was never really an interest because of that very reason. Not hands on enough.

The only reason why I wouldn't mess with electricity is because I'm deathly afraid of it! I think if I remove the mental block I might be good to go...and IT and computer repair. Is that field saturated? It seems like it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts