Personality Cafe banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
ISTP
1,203 Posts
I am currently in university taking up Biology to proceed to Medicine. My question is though, how do you guys cope with school? How do you study effectively? I've been having problems as of late because of my lack of motivation in studying (I am king of procrastination)
@Runtk's method is the only way. Simple, but not easy.

Cf. also this and this because relevant.

You either want the degree, or you don't. If you do, you will work for it. You don't need any "motivation", because you have complete control of yourself. Studying, exemplified: You need to learn. To learn, you need to read a book. To read a book, you raise your hand, grab the book, and open it. And then you read. The point being: It's all conscious action, the "motivation" is implicit -- it's your will to do something, why would you need anything else?

Unless, of course, you don't want the degree. In that case, no "motivation" trick on earth will get you a result. Pick something else.

·
Plague Doctor
5,927 Posts
Hey, I'm aware of the way this advice may sound, but it's what works for me. As a P type, I have just come to accept that I do my best work last minute. It used to bother me that I couldn't seem to get things done early and all and I worried that I might be unmotivated or unfocused, but then I realized that I usually write most of my papers in my head and then translate it all in one go + editing about 8-4 hours before it's due.

I'm not like this in all areas, but when I was in school I was like this and I just accepted it. I guess it just depends on whether or not it really effects your personal goals and grades and all. Again, I know it's not the most sage advice or anything, but sharing since no one else has mentioned it. I certainly wish you luck!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think the problem with the general ISTP is that we read books when we don't have the data to solve a problem/ puzzle, whatever that problem may be.

That is why I in general always had lower grades on theoretical subjects than on subjects that requiered analytical skills en simply thinking.

In the end we have to get by on our intelligence and deduction skills.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It used to work for me way back when but I can't rely on my last minute crams all the time, especially now that some of my subjects has TONS of information to memorize. Thank you for your reply tho. I appreciate <3

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah, I guess you are right. I'll just have to learn to love this course/major I took up. Thank you for the links you have provided Northern Lights, good read. <3

21 - 28 of 28 Posts