Personality Cafe banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Not much I can add to the great posts above other than to sign in as an INFP Ph.D. (ABD - it's a long story) in climatology/oeanography. Science and math always came easy to me too. At one time I was able to solve partial differential equations in my head, but that was a long time ago and I'm too old and lazy now.

I would say know well the scientific method and refuse to subvert it in the realm of applied science. That's what I did and it cost me that Ph.D. But that's ok. I learned far more valuable stuff after that anyway. I enjoyed teaching a lot more than I enjoyed research. But certain kinds of problem solving and cowboy coding were sort of specialties of mine. I came up with objects before objects were objects. I could transform hemispheric grid data into any other grid format you could ask for. And my conscience is clean that I never did junk science.

Ultimately, I grew more interested in questions around human behavior and learning and found a new career in the corporate world where a knowledge of cognitive psychology, statistical analysis, and coding were all valuable. I will say that I got a good education in the sciences.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
You science guys sound awesome ^^ So much ambition coming out pure interest, curiosity and, what I believe it really is, love for this world ^^

If I had another life to live with this awareness and this em that is consciously typing right now, I would love to go into geography/geology or neuroscience, biology.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I enjoy the realism of science because it allows me to incorporate some of the real facts into my imagination and allow me to have a broader thought process.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I'm more the stereotypical INFP here: absolutely hopeless at maths, my strengths lying in art, literature, drama, sociology, psychology, etc.

Science I have a deep appreciation for, though. One of my biggest regrets from school is how I single-mindedly allowed myself to be consumed by the "misunderstood artist" role I was playing, and thus rejected science. I find so much fascinating in science, and would kick my teenage self, could I go back in time and do so, for falling into such an archetypical narrative. I doubt I would ever be "good" at science, but damn did I waste a good learning opportunity in school. I guess that's being a teenager...

My ISTJ best friend does describe me as "Red-Blue", though. That's Magic: The Gathering geek-speak for "equal parts passion and logic". He says I've all the passion and emotionality one would expect of an INFP, but also the logic and rationalism he'd normally associate with Ts. Rational, logical thinking is certainly not my natural strength, but I try my best to embrace my Inferior Te and improve my logical thinking abilities.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've always been passionate about chemistry, biology (esp. microbiology and zoology), geology, meteorology., and astronomy. There's just something about those sciences that just draws me in.... Unfortunately though, in high school we always did physics, which I never cared for much.

On another note, I had a really interesting discussion with an xNFJ about chemistry vs physics. I was on the side of chemistry, but he made some pretty good arguments for the opposing. My curiosity for the science of physics has now been piqued.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Whoop, forensics and criminal psychology major. \o/
I can't do something if people aren't directly related to it - I used to be a chemistry major and struggled through it. The forensics curriculum is basically a chemistry major, just with added anthropology and psychology - I do the same stuff and now I love it, stupidly long equations and all.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'm still a child compared to you all. I am in my Sophomore year in High School, and am readying to take Chemistry and Biology. I've always had an interest in the different species and the stages they took to reach their final steps. The results of humanity coming about is a process of such magnificent rarity that it captivates my mind (In 8th grade, when we did an Earth Science project and got time periods assigned to us... I asked for a harder time period than the one I got (I got Quaternary. I asked for Cambrian because it has so much more. I got a 99 on that project because of TMI) since there was one left over). There's so much to be interested in as the chemical reactions and how they are built together. The scientific marvels such as these theories we all consider mind-blowing are only the tip of an iceberg the size of our literal universe.

There is so much to be explored (I am currently in the Engineering school of teaching at my High School (It's set up into different Majoring schools), and I want to be involved in this amazing journey that humans are taking together across the vastness of space, time, and everything else that we observe.

I find my schooling at this point, certain things aside because I have no motivation to do them until the last minute, somewhat simple and keep A's/High B's throughout the year. Science is one thing I did take a little difficulty in because it's so... I don't know a word in English to describe my thoughts on it. It gives me so much to think about yet that doesnt take away from its intrigue or difficulty.

Reactions: telepariah

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you for giving me hope. I'm an infp planning to be astrophysicist(since i was 12 yo) but people around me think i'm just too idealistic and will never reach my dreams. When I was 12, i lost all my self-esteem, thinking that i was not that smart, not that special and my love for the universe was/is useless. Why, you ask ? Because simply i was bad at school and i didn't pass that year. I loved maths, i loved biology i loved everything that has a relation with science and i truly hated art/music classes(i still find them boring) but why i didn't pass, it's because i wanted to be normal for once and know that feeling...so i listened to my parents who used to tell me to be sociable but i lost all my interests in learning and i became more concertrated to be more sociable. After that year, i became a good student, cause i knew that "being normal" is just an illusion, i knew that this sh*t sucks and is boring as f*ck (pardon my french)and i made a bestfriend who was serious and helped me to study. The problem is,i always had the thought that i don't deserve to be an astrophysicist, i needed something smaller. After that year, I made a new friend, a toxic one. I hated her when i first saw her (i believe in hate at first sight so...LMAO) but she stayed around me, she wanted to be my friend so i gave her a chance. She's a know-it-all since I've first met her until now and her and I are in the same classes every year. My bestfriend has gone to another country but the know-it-all stayed with me aaaaand...She totally destroyed the rest of my self-esteem. I thought of being a psychologist, a film director something like that but i didn't find my hapiness in those thoughts. I came bakc to my old lil' dream : being an astrophysicist and studying quantum physics but at what cost ? Who can be something without a single sight of self-esteem? When I wanted to shine, the "friend" switches me off even when she does that unconsciously, she wanted everything for her, to be venerated. As when when my biology teacher asked me what i wanted to do in my life i said that i came here for a reason. I'm certainly not here to eat, make money and die as I'm not here to only enjoy benefits of the earth (eating and drinking without giving anything in return). I said that i wanted to help, i'm here for scientific developments, i said that i wanted to be a scientist,an astophysicist( yes there'sa link between what i said but it's deep and can't say right now the relation between things, that's off topic) and so she said that is selfish and idealistic. Now here i am, coming back to the lil' girl with bad grades, lower self-esteem and wanting to an astrophysicist. This is the story of a girl who may or may not reach her dream.

thank you for this post.
(i don't speak well english, sorry)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm an INFP who got into Berkeley with full scholarship and ended with a Master's degree. I majored in physics all the way. I didn't realize I was an INFP until much, much later and I think you are at a great advantage with having such knowledge about yourself and the people around you in any given situation.

What I have found, surrounded by soooo many NT's who (in just my opinion) are a bit more confident that they know what they know. For us, however, we tend to see beauty in the patterns. I remember I was with an INTJ friend and we were studying Real Analysis beginning with the topology of the real number line. I knew I was seeing things different than my friend. I said, "I didn't realize the real number line had a topology. But it does in such a profound way! The way there are two types of infinities--countable and uncountable, one being "more" infinite than the other." My friend was on mildly impressed. "Yeah, I guess that's cool. The machinery in the proofs of all of the theorems are more interesting to me." To me math and physics are so beautiful. Like nature's poetry. When I took my first physics class at Berkeley (in which I ranked #2 out of 200 students) it was life-changing, which I can only describe as Being able to see the whole world in color for the first time, never having known I was colorblind before. My INTP friends (and be ready to be completely surrounded by INTP's if you go into a hard science). So yes, INFP's can flourish in the hard sciences. The hardest part for me came when it was time to graduate and go to work. I ended up teaching physics at a community college so that I wouldn't have to have the constant stress of spewing out paper after paper about things that to be honest, I found boring. I don't care about the vibration of the Cesium atom! This stuff is easy for INTP's, but for NF's it's so removed from beauty or meaning or from being of service to humans and animals that I couldn't force myself to do that! And I'm sorry to say that most careers involving physics are just like that. Academia or Engineering or Teaching. May be a simplification of the career opportunities of someone coming out with a physics degree but is a reasonable generalization. The only one I could stand was the one that dealt with teaching others. I don't make a lot of money because I need so much time to myself, that I just wouldn't do well with a full time job. But I teach a couple of classes at a CC and have a private tutoring business online. Of those two, I enjoy the private tutoring sooooo much more than teaching classes. But overall, anything that helps students first realize they were colorblind and helping them see a rainbow, as if for the first time, yes, I guess that must be my INFP "passionate cause". Maybe you too.
Replying to this 7 years late, but it's great to see another INFP who studied physics! I also did undergrad and msc in physics, and did pretty well throughout. I actually really liked mathematical derivations + machinaries and used to rederive everything on the chalkboard without looking at the book as a way to test my understanding. I liked studying both math and physics with rigorous proofs. I definitely agree that I've been struggling afterwards. In fourth year during undergrad, I felt I was a bit different than others in the sense that for others "this is research is interesting" or "this research is in hot topic" was enough motivation to delve into certain topic, but I felt like my motivation tend to be more idealistic and had to be something like "this field can really help humanity but current understanding is quite lacking, so I need to get on this." Im currently doing phd in materials science and while I really like the "big picture" of the researxh that I am doing, I do struggle with everyday lab work that can seem quite mundane. Also the pain of lab equipment breaking and having to constantly fix them...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Whoop, forensics and criminal psychology major. \o/
I can't do something if people aren't directly related to it - I used to be a chemistry major and struggled through it. The forensics curriculum is basically a chemistry major, just with added anthropology and psychology - I do the same stuff and now I love it, stupidly long equations and all.
[/ QUOTE]

That's for sure, lol. Vitally.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts