Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's make a list of activities to do at home.
Because lately I am overeating sugary food:

-Cooking
-Dancing to music
-Excersicing

Is watching a movie or playing video games Se activities? How about smoking? I find reading quite boring

Invoking @JB Nobody @Pierce

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
You know that thing where you invoke a genie, and ask for a million dollars, and he drops it on your head? Don't invoke ISTPs. Just sayin'.

I'm a grumpy old man (okay, not that old, but old enough), so I consider video games entertainment, not really an "activity". Part of the issue you may be having is that ISTPs tend to be drawn to knowing how things work, and we tend to do better when we have a hands-on, physical hobby of some sort.

You don't need to spend a lot of money or pick one of the stereotypical ISTP hobbies, but find something to work on that's productive in the real world. Build things to make your environment better, even if you live in a rented apartment. Fiddle with broken electronics and other gizmos you get from friends (they'll be glad to get rid of the items). Use random items that you'd normally toss in the trash to create your own Rube Goldberg machines (plastic and metal containers are a gold mine).

You can kill a lot of time doing "useless" stuff like that, but it gives you a sense of satisfaction that's different (and to me, more fulfilling) than completing a new level or game. It makes you a little more interesting to others, because most people find hands-on hobbies fascinating.

Also, "Hey baby, wanna come back to my place and see the machine I built that automatically makes my bed in the morning?" is a better line than, "Hey baby, wanna go back to my place and kill prostitutes in GTA?"

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Uhm I don't think I am allowed to talk about my primary Se at home activities.

I meet my quota for Se probably more then many who question why I am here all the time.
"Uh because I work from home"

I am actually a pretty damn good cook I have a food management certification and grew up with a mother who should have her own cooking show. I was so fricken spoiled in that regard. Always had good food. But yeah outside event planning when its related to a party or occasion or maybe a special date, I finding cooking a fricken chore that I happen to be ok at but would rather someone else do. I do make strides at making home cooked meals for my kids tho on some sort of regularity.

I have been on high protein and fiber diet lately (well I relapsed the last 4 days and had probably 4 bags of pizza rolls-I guess my body really wanted carbs).

I dance often its a huge part of my show and its a huge part of my exercise and workouts.

Not sure if this counts as home or not but been biking with my kids to the park. You could bike? My favorite is inline skating but I only like it on a smooth trail or skate rink.

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
I am seriously into woodworking, and have collected many tools and equipment to satiate my hobby.

But when I was young, I had no money. What I did have was my knowledge, a pocket knife, and lots and lots of sticks!

I would use the knife to whittle and carve a mortise and tenon, just because it was fun. Or a bridal joint. Or a round dowel that transitioned into a square dowel and back again. Totally useless in the real world, but as @JB Nobody said, it is personally satisfying on a different level. And it is an intense exercise of Se.

·
Registered
991 Posts
A few to date in the current house include greasing the internals of all the door handles, putting foam on the inside of all the kitchen cupboard doors to stop housemates slamming them, rebuilding the nicest bicycle iv ever owned although its second hand, and currently attempting to re waterproof and seal all the holes in a completely clapped out old army bivi bag.

Does sitting naked in a goretex bag in the bath whilst soaking the outside of the bag with the shower head count as a SE activity?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sure I can spout off random activities but my main ones at home are;
Cooking
Doing weird science experiments with my kids. Today we tried to come up with ways to pop large bubble wrap without our hands or feet
Painting
Decorating and hanging artwork (I'm extremely anal about this XD)
Video games
Reading/listening to audio books
Eat and watch other people dance...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Let's make a list of activities to do at home.
Because lately I am overeating sugary food:

-Cooking
-Dancing to music
-Excersicing

Is watching a movie or playing video games Se activities? How about smoking? I find reading quite boring

Invoking @JB Nobody @Pierce
I would agree with all of these. For me personally, my N friend says that I'm an N in the kitchen, but I know what to do in a fast way. I love doing all 3 things. Thank you for posting :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in a Ti-Ni loop currently, so all those activities seem like a great start. It kinda annoys me that Se is always about skiing, hiking, diving etc., etc., 'cause in my city and at my age none of these are possible, especially in spring / fall / winter, when days are colder. I have tendency to get bored easily, like all ISTPs, and the only solution seems to be video games, which is quite cliche.
Anyway, here are some more ideas:
- try to create an artistic installation using unnecessary objects & strong glue, so that it won't break apart
- exercise (Youtube is a great source to start with)
- personalize your room
- watch people in your house / through the window
- put an object in front of yourself and deeply analyze every detail of it
- take pictures.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I'm in a Ti-Ni loop currently, so all those activities seem like a great start. It kinda annoys me that Se is always about skiing, hiking, diving etc., etc., 'cause in my city and at my age none of these are possible, especially in spring / fall / winter, when days are colder. I have tendency to get bored easily, like all ISTPs, and the only solution seems to be video games, which is quite cliche.
Anyway, here are some more ideas:
- try to create an artistic installation using unnecessary objects & strong glue, so that it won't break apart
- exercise (Youtube is a great source to start with)
- personalize your room
- watch people in your house / through the window
- put an object in front of yourself and deeply analyze every detail of it
- take pictures.
I like the bolded ones, but they sum up my career as an illustrator and designer lol.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I generally spend a lot of time drawing, reading, listening to music, on the internet, or staring at my room while figuring out how I'm going to decorate it next. However, that's when I'm here at home.

Most of my Se activities are done outdoors.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I work out at home and I enjoy that. I also cook but only to stay alive. I like doing yardwork/gardening, even just shoveling snow and cutting grass is fun to me for some reason. Sometimes I just watch the various animals and birds that come around, or a good storm. I draw or edit pictures I have taken from hikes and trips. Listening to music is always good too. I read a lot and play video games once in a while. I also listen to audio books/lectures which seems more Se than reading but I generally have it going in the background while doing something else.

Thats all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Some random shit my Se likes
-Gardening
-Yoga
-Taking and editing pictures
-video games
-rearranging furniture
-Reading (hiking) guides/looking at maps
-Cleaning. Something I could do a little more, but I love it when my house is neat.

Reactions: JB Nobody

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Spank the monkey.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts