Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The main reason why I have been doubting my type is because I usually get a good score on Se, and my Si is always bad or average. Is it possible to be a INFP who has more Se than Si??

·
Registered
571 Posts
How sure are you of your preference for Ne? There are several people I have met who have mistaken Ne for Se. You could be an ISFP with a well developed Ni, making you appear more intuitive and mistaking yourself for an INFP.

Also, definitions and explanations of Ni can seem fuzzy and mystical. I have also met several people who mix up the two intuitive perceiving functions.

I honestly think you can't be an INFP if you're scoring so heavily on Se, as that would be one of the last functions you use and develop. That would be very unusual to say the least.

Scratch your four letter code and begin from the ground up. Do you know much about the cognitive functions? How familiar and knowledgeable about personality theory are you?

EDIT: Do you like to work with your hands?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Se is real fun. Everyone should develop it. :laughing:

Also, I second what Goaty said.

I have practically non-existent Si, so I have empathy for your situation regardless of the type you turn out to be. Past, what is that?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Ne suppresses Si, thus causing lower Si. Ne and Se both crave experience and stimulation and so can resemble each other and perhaps intermingle some. :tongue:

Reactions: Goaty

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I took a functions test once and even I had low Si (which is the dominant ISFJ function).
Why? Because the questions were no good, the way I perceived them I couldn't relate at all. >low Si>Bad results. About every test you take give you more or less screwed results, so don't put much faith into them. They give you a hint, that's all.

Many descriptions of functions are poor and I believe Si is one of the poorest explained functions. So make sure you understand it properly before you write it off. And yes, you could have better Se than Si, but then you wouldn't be a "true" INFP- crassly speaking.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There is variation in function development based on the experiences we've had growing up. So yes, its completely possible for you to be an INFP with better Se than Si. The dominant function isn't necessarily the one you have most developed either. Remember that function orders are based on preference, not how excellent or poorly you use them.

If you grew up with parents who heavily encouraged Se, or tried to suppress Si, that could explain it. I have an ENTP friend who's auxiliary and tertiary seem to be flipped from what an ENTP's order theoretically should be.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
One thing to keep in mind, is that everyone uses all 8 cognitive functions, all the time. Just because you have a well developed use of a particular cognitive function, in your case Se, doesn't mean that you aren't what you are typed as. The best way to know for sure, is to what I did. I also doubted my type because I have a very high Si function, so I dug deep into the original theory behind MBTI, and read Carl Jung's theory of it. It helped me tremendously to make sense of the cognitive functions, and understand how they play into MBTI.

Also, those tests, the way the questions are worded, as well as the answers you are allowed to give, more often then not leads to confusion for the viewer, and yields inaccurate results such as testing higher in some functions, then you really are. For example, according to those tests, I would have to create a 17th MBTI type. Mine would be something like Te Ti Si Ni Ne Fi Se Fe. Where is the explanation for TTSN within MBTI? :wink:

Don't take seriously what you are told in those tests, they are proven to be inaccurate. It's best to read the original theory as I advised, and come to a more solid definition of your proper type, and preferred order of cognitive functioning, from what you find in researching it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts